NRE in Dixmoor and Silvis

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
penn central
Railroadfan...fan

NRE in Dixmoor and Silvis

Unread post by penn central »

It is announced today in the Trains News Wire that NRE is closing Dixmoor and Silvis and consolidating those locations along with Milwaukee to Paducah and Mt Vernon. I have been to both locations i remember signing a release at Dixmoor back in 2003 they pretty much gave me free roam of the property the people in the office where extremely friendly and i also was to Silvis back in 2007 it was close to the holiday and the security guard let me take pics from the property line it was also on a Sunday if i remember correctly.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NRE in Dixmoor and Silvis

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Looking at the satellite images of both Dixmoor and Silvis, it would appear that the locations have @ 3 dozen, and @ a couple hundred locomotives, respectively. They appear to be in various stages of service or scrap. Wondering what happens to all those loco bodies and the scores of thousands of parts spread across the grounds? This would be a huge undertaking. especially in Silvis.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: NRE in Dixmoor and Silvis

Unread post by DaveO »

It wasn't mentioned that the sites would be sold.
But assuming NRE is totally vacating the sites, most of those engines and parts probably aren't worth the cost of moving them.
Paducah and Mt. Vernon likely lack the room to store all of that stuff in addition to what they currently have on site.
The frames and trucks are likely an exception but even then is worth it to harvest them for a move?