N&W 2156 Move

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

N&W 2156 Move

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ok, now I know it was just announced, but its getting close so I was wanting to see if any rumors or anything might give any hints. Anybody heard ANYTHING about the dates and route of the N&W 2156 move that is going to take place VERY soon? A few facebook pages show rods disconnected and 2156 on the tracks next to the MOT gate ready for her trip east. I have never seen an articulated move or a locomotive of that size on the move and if possible would like to catch the 2156 in Indiana if my schedule allows it. Want to at least have a general idea of the route 2156 will take to get to Roanoke and where in Indiana she might be headed. But of course it has to go through Illinois FIRST, so that's why I thought I would start here.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Re: N&W 2156 Move

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote:Ok, now I know it was just announced, but its getting close so I was wanting to see if any rumors or anything might give any hints. Anybody heard ANYTHING about the dates and route of the N&W 2156 move that is going to take place VERY soon? A few facebook pages show rods disconnected and 2156 on the tracks next to the MOT gate ready for her trip east. I have never seen an articulated move or a locomotive of that size on the move and if possible would like to catch the 2156 in Indiana if my schedule allows it. Want to at least have a general idea of the route 2156 will take to get to Roanoke and where in Indiana she might be headed. But of course it has to go through Illinois FIRST, so that's why I thought I would start here.
Unless clearances are an issue, I would wager former Southern across Illinois and Indiana to Louisville and then east from there.

Practice Safe CSX

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Ok, now I know it was just announced, but its getting close so I was wanting to see if any rumors or anything might give any hints. Anybody heard ANYTHING about the dates and route of the N&W 2156 move that is going to take place VERY soon? A few facebook pages show rods disconnected and 2156 on the tracks next to the MOT gate ready for her trip east. I have never seen an articulated move or a locomotive of that size on the move and if possible would like to catch the 2156 in Indiana if my schedule allows it. Want to at least have a general idea of the route 2156 will take to get to Roanoke and where in Indiana she might be headed. But of course it has to go through Illinois FIRST, so that's why I thought I would start here.
Unless clearances are an issue, I would wager former Southern across Illinois and Indiana to Louisville and then east from there.

Practice Safe CSX
You think St. Louis to Fort Wayne and points east are out of the question? I only say that because 1218 has been through those parts. But then again 2156 is bigger then 1218 is some aspects.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote: You think St. Louis to Fort Wayne and points east are out of the question? I only say that because 1218 has been through those parts. But then again 2156 is bigger then 1218 is some aspects.
Why would you route it so far out of the way? Onto lines with a lot more traffic than the former Southern?

Railroads are a business, and no better way to foul up an operation than trying to move a 'special move' where it doesn't absolutely have to go. With NS's current troubles, with the STB taking notice of the delays AMTRAK is encountering, and the shippers starting to see through the Heritage Paint Armor NS has put up, I don't think they're going to be taking this thing on a 'tour' just because they can.

Practice Safe CSX

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: You think St. Louis to Fort Wayne and points east are out of the question? I only say that because 1218 has been through those parts. But then again 2156 is bigger then 1218 is some aspects.
Why would you route it so far out of the way? Onto lines with a lot more traffic than the former Southern?

Railroads are a business, and no better way to foul up an operation than trying to move a 'special move' where it doesn't absolutely have to go. With NS's current troubles, with the STB taking notice of the delays AMTRAK is encountering, and the shippers starting to see through the Heritage Paint Armor NS has put up, I don't think they're going to be taking this thing on a 'tour' just because they can.

Practice Safe CSX
Oh I thought that was the most direct route to Roanoke. I am not familiar with NS lines and the traffic they carry.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT1223 wrote: Oh I thought that was the most direct route to Roanoke. I am not familiar with NS lines and the traffic they carry.
I think most of the big railroads have system maps on their websites, it might do you well to study them a bit then.

Out of just sheer curiosity, if the steam engine has to move through Illinois first (which you state in your first post), why would you start looking for information on routing of it, on a website that the primary focus is on operations in Michigan? Plenty of Illinois specific groups out there with a lot more people in tune to the states 'goings-ons' then on here. Not a knock on railroadfan.com there are just better sources for information on something so far away from Michigan.

Practice Safe CSX

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: Oh I thought that was the most direct route to Roanoke. I am not familiar with NS lines and the traffic they carry.
I think most of the big railroads have system maps on their websites, it might do you well to study them a bit then.

Out of just sheer curiosity, if the steam engine has to move through Illinois first (which you state in your first post), why would you start looking for information on routing of it, on a website that the primary focus is on operations in Michigan? Plenty of Illinois specific groups out there with a lot more people in tune to the states 'goings-ons' then on here. Not a knock on railroadfan.com there are just better sources for information on something so far away from Michigan.

Practice Safe CSX
I just started looking here that's all. I was on here when I saw the post on Facebook. I am not allowed on Facebook thanks to my dad, so there are only so few places I can check.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT1223 wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:

Practice Safe CSX
I just started looking here that's all. I was on here when I saw the post on Facebook. I am not allowed on Facebook thanks to my dad, so there are only so few places I can check.
Not to get into your business too much but aren't you 18 and in college? I would think you'd have free reign on the Internets by now.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ns8401 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Not to get into your business too much but aren't you 18 and in college? I would think you'd have free reign on the Internets by now.
You would think so, but my dad likes to be in control. I swear I am more restricted now then I was 10 years ago. My dad loves to say, "as long as you live under roof you live under my rules". Believe me I tried making a facebook account without his knowledge after he shut my first one down, he found that one in a week. That was FIVE YEARS AGO... he thinks all I do on the computer is look up inappropriate stuff.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT1223 wrote:
ns8401 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
You would think so, but my dad likes to be in control. I swear I am more restricted now then I was 10 years ago. My dad loves to say, "as long as you live under roof you live under my rules". Believe me I tried making a facebook account without his knowledge after he shut my first one down, he found that one in a week. That was FIVE YEARS AGO... he thinks all I do on the computer is look up inappropriate stuff.
Use your phone on private browsing... if you have one.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

ns8401 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
You would think so, but my dad likes to be in control. I swear I am more restricted now then I was 10 years ago. My dad loves to say, "as long as you live under roof you live under my rules". Believe me I tried making a facebook account without his knowledge after he shut my first one down, he found that one in a week. That was FIVE YEARS AGO... he thinks all I do on the computer is look up inappropriate stuff.[/quote]
Use your phone on private browsing... if you have one.[/quote]

I do, but he checks the phone too. He can look at my browsing history and all the other history online, and he regularly checks facebook to see if my name or anything related is on there. I know exactly what my dad does, and I can't get around it. Heck he has it blocked on his computer and all the parental controls in full force. He even has it set so I have to get a password permission to download stuff on MY LAPTOP that I got for MY GRADUATION. I am on my laptop all the time because I can get on it whenever I want. That's about the only privilege that I got turning 18. My dad is a control freak.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MQT1223 wrote:
ns8401 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Use your phone on private browsing... if you have one.[/quote]

I do, but he checks the phone too. He can look at my browsing history and all the other history online, and he regularly checks facebook to see if my name or anything related is on there. I know exactly what my dad does, and I can't get around it. Heck he has it blocked on his computer and all the parental controls in full force. He even has it set so I have to get a password permission to download stuff on MY LAPTOP that I got for MY GRADUATION. I am on my laptop all the time because I can get on it whenever I want. That's about the only privilege that I got turning 18. My dad is a control freak.[/quote]
You could say that... Get a job, win the lottery etc, then it won't be a problem one would hope.

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

I'm 44, a dad, and no control freak (e.g. my wife and 16 y.o. daughter are on FB).

It's a time-sink anyway IMO - perhaps your dad thinks so too. More quality time for studying without it (and RR boards), and then you're also not helping Mark Zuckerberg get any richer than he already is.

If your dad is paying your freight (room and board, tuition, books, etc.) then I'd say he has a right to expect you to focus on school right now - as it's on his dime. Of course, you can always strike it out on your own and spend all the time on FB you wish - you're a legal adult in the eyes of the Law now. However, reality bites pretty fast as that gets expensive quick - I watched my neighbor's collegiate-age daughter move home not too long after she moved out. I hear she missed the free food (and full fridge), laundry access, etc. ;)

(My two oldest ones will be attending Community College their first two years - also on my dime. As long as they apply themselves - and they'd better - they can transfer the Associates and credits to a four-year state school. I'll also help with the latter two years, again depending upon performance. Only helping fund four years in total, though - anything beyond that is on them.)
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

dmitzel wrote:I'm 44, a dad, and no control freak (e.g. my wife and 16 y.o. daughter are on FB).

It's a time-sink anyway IMO - perhaps your dad thinks so too. More quality time for studying without it (and RR boards), and then you're also not helping Mark Zuckerberg get any richer than he already is.

If your dad is paying your freight (room and board, tuition, books, etc.) then I'd say he has a right to expect you to focus on school right now - as it's on his dime. Of course, you can always strike it out on your own and spend all the time on FB you wish - you're a legal adult in the eyes of the Law now. However, reality bites pretty fast as that gets expensive quick - I watched my neighbor's collegiate-age daughter move home not too long after she moved out. I hear she missed the free food (and full fridge), laundry access, etc. ;)

(My two oldest ones will be attending Community College their first two years - also on my dime. As long as they apply themselves - and they'd better - they can transfer the Associates and credits to a four-year state school. I'll also help with the latter two years, again depending upon performance. Only helping fund four years in total, though - anything beyond that is on them.)
Oh I believe it. I know the whole story about how good my life is. Typical teenager though and you know how that goes. My dad is 42.