Galesburg?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
beachbum
Railroadfan...fan

Galesburg?

Unread post by beachbum »

Looks like I'm going to have 2-4 hours to kill in Galesburg later this month.

Any suggestions for getting the biggest bang for the buck (and not getting arrested :wink: ) while railfanning there? I've never made it to RR Days and I don't know the area.

Thanks!

bn13814
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Galesburg?

Unread post by bn13814 »

beachbum wrote:Looks like I'm going to have 2-4 hours to kill in Galesburg later this month.

Any suggestions for getting the biggest bang for the buck (and not getting arrested :wink: ) while railfanning there? I've never made it to RR Days and I don't know the area.

Thanks!
The wide parking lanes on either side of the Highway 10 (Thirwell Road) Bridge over the classification yard, the Amtrak depot/Galesburg Railroad Museum and Peck Park are all great places to watch trains in town. Train counts are probably about 160 a day now. Very busy.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Galesburg?

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Find the Cameron connector tracks interlocking. Go up to the Santa Fe side, there is a north-south road that crosses just west of the wye there. It is a dirt road, a few puddles, but we spent three hours there and not a single sole used the road...it is public, but only used by farmers.

There you have of course a great view on the Santa Fe, and you can see the BN off to the south and the entire Cameron connector plant...this time of year over the corn...most of the train cut-off but awesome to see that far...you can pick out all the signals at Cameron to find the tracks and horizon meeting area.

this road does nt cross the BN, but used to. We did not try it but you should be able to get all the way to te BN to where it used to cross... Still good on the foliage front over there.

Good luck!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow