Railfanning in the Solar Eclipse

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Railfanning in the Solar Eclipse

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anybody have some good locations for shooting trains that are in the path of the solar eclipse? I know I'll have to drive closer to Indianapolis and Fort Wayne for any long durations of totality and I'm prepared to do so. I have been looking at Ohio and Indiana for a spot and I'd like to have as many opportunities as possible. Doubt I'll have this experience ever again.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Railfanning in the Solar Eclipse

Unread post by J T »

Well, it'll be easy to track the Chicago-St. Louis Amtrak trains if you want to time it just right for catching one of those during totality. Otherwise I think it would be more a matter of luck to catch a freight during that moment and in a decent location.

*Edit: If you were to go to Illinois. Didn't notice you had posted this in the Indiana Talk section.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Deshler Ohio. The Toledo area as well. North Baltimore too.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CSXBOY wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:50 pm
Deshler Ohio. The Toledo area as well. North Baltimore too.
Dude… wrong STATE.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:11 pm
Well, it'll be easy to track the Chicago-St. Louis Amtrak trains if you want to time it just right for catching one of those during totality. Otherwise I think it would be more a matter of luck to catch a freight during that moment and in a decent location.

*Edit: If you were to go to Illinois. Didn't notice you had posted this in the Indiana Talk section.
Nah I’m just making this a one day affair. Saving my PTO for 2816 and 4014.

Plus some of the hotel rates down there are absolutely bonkers

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Yeah, I’m sure people have had rooms reserved for a few years now too.

If I didn’t have to work, I’d just leave early in the morning and come back in the evening. Done that plenty of times shooting trains in Illinois and Indiana anyway. And since it’s in the middle of the day, there wouldn’t be any reason for me to get a hotel.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I will be in Sandusky. I considered Indianapolis but decided to go east instead of south to get into the path of totality. No rail fanning planned.

Draw a line from Muncie to Evansville and pick your favorite spot. Then plan on a long trip home as everyone else that drove into the path of totality finds their way home. (I will be spending Monday night in Sandusky so I won't have to fight too much traffic after the event. The hotel price was reasonable.)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Based on my lack of success of getting any pictures of the eclipse (I could not get my camera to focus) trying to incorporate a train into the image would have been a major challenge.

I saw a few "horror stories" about slow traffic on the way out of where they were for totality. I managed to avoid the post peak rush for a restaurant, gas station or road home.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

justalurker66 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 pm
Based on my lack of success of getting any pictures of the eclipse (I could not get my camera to focus) trying to incorporate a train into the image would have been a major challenge.

I saw a few "horror stories" about slow traffic on the way out of where they were for totality. I managed to avoid the post peak rush for a restaurant, gas station or road home.
I ended up going to Deshler. Probably the best choice I made. Not as far south and traffic was not a factor. Got a train just before the totality set in and it lasted through the whole event.