Terre Haute, IN

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Terre Haute, IN

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

Whats the train traffic like in Terre Haute, where to see the most trains, is Terre Haute safe, and whats the nest spot to sit legally and watch trains and is there any other areas around Terre Haute worth checking out?

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Terre Haute, IN

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Speaking of Terre Haute--- does anybody know where the MILW. ROADS yard was in Terre Haute? Remember reading somewhere that it was almost circular.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

About a good 30-40 trains in a 24 hour peroid go through Terre Haute. This also includes the Decatur And Eastern Railroad and the Indiana Railroad. Two CSX mains come into play: The CSX St Louis Line from St Louis to Indy (former Conrail) and the CSX Chicago to Evansville main (former Louisville and Nashville). After the Conrail split in 1999, the whole track layout was reconfigured and both lines go their separate ways via switches. Terre Haute also has a nice museum that is opened seasonally I believe.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

joeyuboats wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:36 pm
Speaking of Terre Haute--- does anybody know where the MILW. ROADS yard was in Terre Haute? Remember reading somewhere that it was almost circular.
I examined the 1941 edition of the USGS topo map. I believe the CMSt.P&P yard and shops were on the south side of town. The yard does not appear circular. The CMSt.P&P did have a branch line the ran north -south east of Terre Haute. The branch did allow for a circular movement in and around Terre Haute.

Link to the Terre Haute topo: https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ht-bin/tv_browse ... f0c0169def

Link to the map to the east: https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ht-bin/tv_browse ... 8a8fc648b6