Fort Wayne, IN

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Fort Wayne, IN

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

I would like to get down to Fort Wayne sometime for railfanning the section between East Wayne Yard is the busiest with trains coming off the the Chicago District but is there anny good areas to set up around that area?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Fort Wayne, IN

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Used to be that people would sit at the cement plant off of Hartzell Rd. in New Haven to watch the traffic as it came thru the NE jct., which is just east of the yard. NE consists of a diamond crossing of the Chicago-Bellevue line and the Detroit-Peru line with connecting lines on the north and south side of the diamond. The only NS trains you wouldn't see here are the trains coming/going towards Cincinnati from the west and trains that access the west end of the yard and terminate there. As it's been almost 30 years since I worked out of E. Wayne, and I know there has been some changes to the roads on the west end of the yard.....I just don't know if there are any spots to sit down there to watch the action at the west end. There is a message board at the Ft. Wayne Railfan site where you could ask questions too

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:42 pm
Used to be that people would sit at the cement plant off of Hartzell Rd. in New Haven to watch the traffic as it came thru the NE jct., which is just east of the yard. NE consists of a diamond crossing of the Chicago-Bellevue line and the Detroit-Peru line with connecting lines on the north and south side of the diamond. The only NS trains you wouldn't see here are the trains coming/going towards Cincinnati from the west and trains that access the west end of the yard and terminate there. As it's been almost 30 years since I worked out of E. Wayne, and I know there has been some changes to the roads on the west end of the yard.....I just don't know if there are any spots to sit down there to watch the action at the west end. There is a message board at the Ft. Wayne Railfan site where you could ask questions too

Thank you that diamond just outside E.Wayne my friend told me that theres not very much action just the roadrailers and a couple locals but from your post it sounds like trains running to Bellevue or Detroit will be seen there?

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Coal train in Ft Wayne

Im down in New Haven at the diamond just east of East Wayne Yard and a coal train just passed us on the Fostoria/Chicago District I didnt think that line got coal trains so im really confused and could use some help

swc
Railroadfan...fan

F unit in New Haven

Unread post by swc »

Anyone know anything about this unit saw it today.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

CF&E Fort Wayne Sub traffic

So I was with a friend who lives in Fort Wayne I know CF&E CHIFTW
CF&E FTWCHI
NS L48
All operate on the CF&E Fort Wayne Sub but my buddy says that it sees road freight trains to he said he has seen intermodal trains and mixed freights on that line and his dad says when there on that line they see like 5 train in 30 minutes? Whats the train traffic on the CF&E Fort Wayne Sub?

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: F unit in New Haven

swc wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:29 pm
Yep I saw it to
Screenshot_20231202_234841_Gallery.jpg

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

swc wrote:
It is an FL9, and supposedly headed to the Cincinnati Dinner Train per LocoNotes.

Ex-GSLX 2002/CDOT 2002/MNCR 2002/MNCR 5005/CR 5005/PC 5005/NH 2002/NH 2005.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:51 pm
swc wrote:
It is an FL9, and supposedly headed to the Cincinnati Dinner Train per LocoNotes.

Theres so many rumors I have also heard its getting on NS 197 and heading to Lordstown, OH to the train grave yard

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:58 am
NS3322 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:51 pm
swc wrote:

Theres so many rumors I have also heard its getting on NS 197 and heading to Lordstown, OH to the train grave yard
Considering it was just repainted, that is doubtful.

bob durnell
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CF&E Fort Wayne Sub traffic

Unread post by bob durnell »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:19 pm
CF&E FTWCHI
NS L48
All operate on the CF&E Fort Wayne Sub but my buddy says that it sees road freight trains to he said he has seen intermodal trains and mixed freights on that line and his dad says when there on that line they see like 5 train in 30 minutes? Whats the train traffic on the CF&E Fort Wayne Sub?
The only place on the CF&E in Indiana where you would see five trains or more in an entire 24 hour span would be on the west side of Fort Wayne where NS uses a short stretch to connect the "NKP"Chicago District to the "LE&W" New Castle District. The almost complete lack of sidings on the CF&E would prevent more than couple trains a day even if there was demand for that much traffic.

bob durnell
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bob durnell »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:34 pm
Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:42 pm

Thank you that diamond just outside E.Wayne my friend told me that theres not very much action just the roadrailers and a couple locals but from your post it sounds like trains running to Bellevue or Detroit will be seen there?
The only NS through trains through Fort Wayne you WON''T see at NE are those that run between Chicago and Muncie via Junction on the west side of town. Coal and coke trains are rare on the NKP now, but DO happen.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CF&E Fort Wayne Sub traffic

bob durnell wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:27 pm
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:19 pm
CF&E FTWCHI
NS L48
The only place on the CF&E in Indiana where you would see five trains or more in an entire 24 hour span would be on the west side of Fort Wayne where NS uses a short stretch to connect the "NKP"Chicago District to the "LE&W" New Castle District. The almost complete lack of sidings on the CF&E would prevent more than couple trains a day even if there was demand for that much traffic.

Yep I figured that out after looking around in Fort Wayne and seeing a train in satellite view using it lol. I still dont know how they wouldve saw 5 trains on that part in 30 minutes tho? The only NS train that use that are NS 177, NS 142, NS 26C, NS 28C, NS 29A, NS 29F, NS 262, and NS 263. that right there is 8 trains so I guess if you wanna include one of the CF&E trains thats 9 and the NS local (L48) (if it still runs) that runs up to Columbia City and back would be 11 trains. So I guess it would be possible to 5 trains in 30 minutes there but really rare or unlikely...