NIWX 629

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
kd_1014
Mike

NIWX 629

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Heard the NIWX 629 in BC rail paint is going to the scrapper soon. Supposedly located in Burns Harbor, IN but never located a precise location. Anyone know where it’s sitting currently?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NIWX 629

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Two weeks ago it was photographed at Cleveland Cliffs in Burns Harbor.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/825397/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

It's actually at the Port of Indiana-Burns Harbor; more specifically Fricks Services Liquid Terminal. Although from the photo is appears to have been moved to somewhere else on the property.

Not sure if the general public can get close. I think I remember reading you could get in to the Port if you wanted to go fishing, but security does patrol.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The fishing access is posted. A few years ago a Google Streetview car made it to the lake. I have not attempted the trip. I guess I need to take up fishing.

I have seen trespassers walking the Amtrak line in Chesterton to get to a fishing spot. No one seemed to bother them. I guess if I take up fishing I should carry a camera to take pictures of what I catch and release. :)

CSXT9040
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXT9040 »

Little over a month ago, I got a tour of Cleveland Cliff’s Burns Harbor facility. I made an effort to see if I could spot 629 at the nearby port but I had no luck. Cleveland Cliffs has some interesting locomotives working around their facility though, unfortunately they have a no photo policy.
Resident GE foamer :lol:
18 year old railfan who frequently can be seen trackside around Northern Indiana.