Elkhart and Western Project

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Elkhart and Western Project

Unread post by jrgerber »

Indiana – The Elkhart Preservation and Improvement for the Community Project (EPIC)
(Up to $2,618,173)
Elkhart & Western Railroad
The proposed project will relocate interchange track, upgrade the 9-mile Elkhart Branch line to Class 1 track safety
standards, expand rail siding capacity, and replace three grade crossing surfaces on the Elkhart and Western
Railroad (EWR) in Elkhart, IN. This project will relocate the interchange used by EWR and Norfolk Southern (NS) by
moving it out of the city center and into an industrial area. Currently, EWR and NS track intersect two roadways,
and when a train is more than nine railcars long, it blocks the roadway for approximately 15 minutes while trains
interchange. The proposed track relocation would eliminate the blocked crossing and improve grade crossings with
deteriorating conditions. The Class III EWR, Indiana DOT, the City of Elkhart, and the St. Joseph County
Redevelopment Commission will provide a 50 percent match

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: Elkhart and Western Project

Unread post by DaveO »

So the plan is to move it west to by the Ozinga concrete plant.
https://epiccrisi.com/
I wondered how the interchange went. Apparently not too well

Edit: IIRC, hazmat can't be moved over excepted track, has to be a minimum of class 1.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Hazmat cars can be moved, but only up to 5.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Besides the cement terminal are there any other customers? This is what Wiki shows:

Customer Location Company Description Type of Railcar Notes
Ozinga Elkhart Concrete Products Covered Hoppers Coming online in 2021.
Barnhart Elkhart Warehousing & Logistics Boxcars/Centerbeam Flatcars/Covered Hoppers
Huttig Building Products Elkhart Building Products Boxcars
Buzzi Unicem Elkhart Cement Plant Covered Hoppers
Bronx Transload Mishawaka Transload Facility Covered Hoppers
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:24 am
So the plan is to move it west to by the Ozinga concrete plant.
https://epiccrisi.com/
I wondered how the interchange went. Apparently not too well
Thanks for the link. It has been a while since I have seen the interchange train. It is good to see improvements along the line. This should make the interchange more efficient for Norfolk Southern as well since there should be less switching involved.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Pioneer Lines (former Railcorp) has done a nice job under the new ownership slowly rebuilding the ND&W. Besides the Elkhart and Western they snagged a nice grant for their Gettysburg and Northern line in PA.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

It looks like the 50% match for Pioneer's work on the ND&W came from the same Federal program that they have asked to fund the work in Elkhart (CRISI). The award list for 2021 lists Elkhart under "other applicants".

Is there any place where Pioneer operates their engines on other railroad's tracks or are all of their interchanges done by having another railroad operate on Pioneer's tracks to exchange cars?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

B19 is the NS interchange job to the Elkhart &Western. You can view their weekday passage on the Elkhart Virtual Railfan camera. Typical consist includes shortie covered hoppers for the cement place, longer covered hoppers, and 63’ hi cube boxcars.

Great to see this investment! Sounds like NS will make a longer run over E&W track to get to the new interchange point?

SecondCreek
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SecondCreek »

Sort of confused here. Does this mean NS trains will run all the way west down the E&W line to near the Ozinga plant to interchange cars?

Also what is the best time to catch the E&W in action? Do they run on a certain schedule?

Thanks

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That is the way it sounds to me too that NS will run on E&W to a new siding by Ozinga
SecondCreek wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:54 pm
Sort of confused here. Does this mean NS trains will run all the way west down the E&W line to near the Ozinga plant to interchange cars?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

I went though Elkhart tonight and noticed one of the E&W geeps has disappeared and was replaced with something blue, maybe some kind of genset? Anyone know what power is currently assigned to the E&W in Elkhart?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:15 pm
I went though Elkhart tonight and noticed one of the E&W geeps has disappeared and was replaced with something blue, maybe some kind of genset? Anyone know what power is currently assigned to the E&W in Elkhart?
It’s a CEFX GP20D.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:15 pm
Which one disappeared? 911 or 912?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

911 is gone - 912 remains and CEFX 1508 is in its place.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

1508 is a GP15D

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Not sure if its related but there was a string of about 12 LSRC hoppers in town yesterday. Maybe loaded with ballast?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I can't speak to the interchange or anything like that, but I saw the EWR, sort of, last weekend. Never saw any power move, but talked to a female employee who was very polite and said she really likes her job on this railroad, compared with her previous employer (a Class 1).

I did notice both the blue unit and 912 on the engine track near the yard office (caboose). There were several (5 or 6 cars), on the siding between Jackson and Prairie St.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

So has the project started?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

I drove through Elkhart at the end of September and passed the Jackson Crossing/E&W area twice. I didn't notice any construction or other work prep in that area, at least south of Jackson to the Kalamazoo Branch.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the update.