Question about "State Line"

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Question about "State Line"

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Is there any way to sit and railfan at "State Line" in Hammond? I know its no where near what it was back in its prime but is it worth the risk to railfan here (rough area) and can it be done without being ushered out by railfan police?

I've railfanned in most of the surrounding area and "State Line" doesn't come up much, so I'd rather see what the deal is before making the decision on whether its worth a visit.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Question about "State Line"

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Nope. Closest you can get would be the Marble St crossing on the NKP just south of the diamond, or the Wabash Ave crossing just to the east on the B&O. The area isn't the greatest and is patrolled regularly by railroad police. The crossing of the NKP and IHB maybe 1/2 mile south at Hohman is probably almost as busy and is easily accessible from public property.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:15 pm
I know its no where near what it was back in its prime but is it worth the risk to railfan here (rough area)
That part of Hammond is not "rough". It's just fine.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

The last time i went to State Line was in April of 2000 the towerman leaned his head out to say high i guess times have changed a bunch that's to bad.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I would assume it is safer than next door neighbor Gary IN. But that is my assumption. Lots of railroad action there between NS, CSX and Amtrak

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Honestly, most of Gary at this point is just exceptionally poor, not dangerous, at least in daylight. I've never had any problems along the Chicago Line, B&O or South Shore.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

LVrrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LVrrfan »

The west end of marble St looks like a good spot....you can look north and see NS, CSX, and the south shore rr.....otherwise, marble St or wabash st look like your best bet