Indiana adventure coming soon!!!!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Indiana adventure coming soon!!!!

Unread post by Robertrains »

My friend "Mazon" and I are going to Indiana! We are leaving Saturday 12-18 and returning Tuesday 12-21! First we'll catch 1225 "Polar Express" arriving back in Owosso! Then go down to Kendalville, Indiana for the first night! Want to catch the old Ludington & Northern® switcher stored at the Kraft® plant unused! Here's a photo (© Jonathan Hinely): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5492565 We are actually staying at Riley's Railhouse® in Chesterton Sunday night! Old train cars to sleep in overlooking the tracks! This would be great to see the Amtrak® "Lake Shore Limited" and "Capitol Limited" during the "50th Anniversary" year!!!! We will look for IN shortlines Monday 12-20! Is Chesapeake and Indiana® "Railfan Friendly?" :?: :?: Would I be able to get permission to photograph at their yard in La Crosse? I would like to see the SD-M # 814 up close before it departs going to another railroad!!! What is their operating schedule? Their newer power looks nice, just wish I made it here a few years ago (never been)! Well, looks like I at least can get #813 (at a grain elevator), 814 and 818 (now at Hossier Valley)! What times do # 813 switch Co Alliance® in Union Mills? :?: That is something I want to catch running. Another engine I want to see is the old Wisconsin Southern® GP9R # 753 at Stark Co Farm in Hamlet! Here's a picture (© Seth Lakin): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3685926 Does anyone know more about them? Also, this trip we will catch CSS&SB running! Does anybody know their freight operations? Sundays? What times do South Shore Freight® trains run to the Stillwell area? I suppose only weekdays! We will also stay our third night in the greater Fort Wayne area! Then catch Napoleon, Defiance and Western® "Rickety Track" in Ohio and Ann Arbor Railroad® near Toledo!!!! :wink:

I was never able to make it down here when the old Chessie (VLIX) SD18 # 7311 was at CKIN! I was so upset when it left in 2013 and I never got it! It went to Western Rail® of Usk, Washington! I actually mailed two film cameras in Feb. 2014 for Western Rail® to photograph the SD18 for me! SUCCESS!!!! Take a look at my album of pix from there of the SD18: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... ?id=106035

Thanx! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Robertrains on Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: Indiana adventure coming soon!!!!

Unread post by David Collins »

Robertrains wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:03 pm
My friend "Mazon" and I are going to Indiana! We are leaving Saturday 12-18 and returning Tuesday 12-21! First we'll catch 1225 "Polar Express" arriving back in Owosso! Then go down to Kendalville, Indiana for the first night! Want to catch the old Ludington & Northern® switcher stored at the Kraft® plant unused! Here's a photo (© Jonathan Hinely): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5492565 We are actually staying at Riley's Railhouse® in Chesterton Sunday night! Old train cars to sleep in overlooking the tracks! This would be great to see the Amtrak® "Lake Shore Limited" and "Capitol Limited" during the "50th Anniversary" year!!!! We will look for IN shortlines Monday 12-20! Is Chesapeake and Indiana® "Railfan Friendly?" Would I be able to get permission to photograph at their yard in La Crosse? I would like to see the SD-M # 814 up close before it departs going to another railroad!!! What is their operating schedule? Their newer power looks nice, just wish I made it here a few years ago (never been)! Well, looks like I at least can get #813 (at a grain elevator), 814 and 818 (now at Hossier Valley)! What times do # 813 switch Co Alliance® in Union Mills? That is something I want to catch running. Another engine I want to see is the old Wisconsin Southern® GP9R # 753 at Stark Co Farm in Hamlet! Here's a picture (© Seth Lakin): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3685926 Does anyone know more about them? Also, this trip we will catch CSS&SB running! Do you know their freight operations? Sundays? What times do South Shore Freight trains run to the Stillwell area? I suppose only weekdays! We will also stay our third night in the greater Fort Wayne area! Then catch Napoleon, Defiance and Western® "Rickety Track" in Ohio and Ann Arbor Railroad® near Toledo!!!!

I was never able to make it down here when the old Chessie (VLIX) SD18 # 7311 was at CKIN! I was so upset when it left in 2013 and I never got it! It went to Western Rail of Usk, Washington! I actually mailed two film cameras in Feb. 2014 for Western Rail to photograph the SD18 for me! SUCCESS!!!! Take a look at my album of pix from there of the SD18: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... ?id=106035

Thanx! :mrgreen:
Good luck! Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll see any of the Amtrak 50th heritage units because they’re trying to keep them on the east coast for some reason, in terms of the C&I, you should be able to get up close, most of the crews are pretty friendly, unfortunately their trains are sort of hard to follow with timing.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Heritage units are fairly common on the Capital and Lake Shore, including the 50th logoed ones. The Lake Shore had two of the 50ths logos recently. The hard part is time of day. Morning in Indiana for runs to Chicago - late night for runs back east.

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

I'm not sure where 814 is at, but I seem to remember it being used in Union Mills, Indiana lately

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

This sounds like a fun adventure, Robert! I have seen the CSS operate freight on Sunday, but that was in and to the west of Michigan City Carroll Avenue yard, not east of MC.

You might want to check out the message board at http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php, they have some folks who do a great job tracking shortline movements who may be able to answer your specific operational questions.

Good luck and be sure to report back on what you find!

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

GP30M4216 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:39 pm
This sounds like a fun adventure, Robert! I have seen the CSS operate freight on Sunday, but that was in and to the west of Michigan City Carroll Avenue yard, not east of MC.

You might want to check out the message board at http://indianarailroads.org/board/index.php, they have some folks who do a great job tracking shortline movements who may be able to answer your specific operational questions.

Good luck and be sure to report back on what you find!
Thanx GP30M4216!!!! I won't use much of the phone internet while chasing! I don't like to and enjoy "Old School" stuff! Film cameras/S-VHS camcorder!!!! :mrgreen:
Now, I have contacted SkyhawkACE123 on this Youtube® link (I am 'Trans24') where he explains about the remaining SD-Ms (already contacted Union Mills' Grain Elevator): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6B6JNzfd78

CKIN was operating these SD18s this year! Sounds like #815 is still in service! I am hoping to get permission at their yard in LaCrosse! I would like to at least get pix of the remaining two DMIR colored engines on the property! I cannot find scanner frequencies for this RR! We plan on getting an old ATSF/BNSF GP9 still in full "Bluebonnet" paint in Malden! Amazing what kind of stuff is in this part of Indiana!!!! :wink: Also, this is the furthest trip and most days with "Mazon!!!!!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

OK, "Mazon" and I had a great time on our "Indiana Adventure!" Here is a brief description of what we caught from the above list! Sometime after the film is developed, I may scan some negs to share! Yes, caught 1225 "Polar Express" arriving back in Owosso with the ex Amtrak® F40PH leading! Kendalville, Indiana was good the first night! Next day got Amtrak® "Lake Shore Limited" and "Capitol Limited" at an old closed Family Video®!!!! The first westbound NS train that day also had a "High Hood" GP38-2 second (of two locos)! Also the old Ludington & Northern® switcher stored at the Kraft® plant! South Bend is now run down and lots of homeless on the streets! Yelling!!!! Last time I was here was in 2005 with my late Dad (RCJ I)! The old Union Station we saw a "Three Some" of trains!!!! Found out that Arnold Street (CN/NS) is now blocked off!!!! :( Saw eight trains in about an hour at Ogden Dunes South Shore® station! Lots of NS freights! Got two South Shore® passenger trains meeting! Also got a South Shore Freight® train and Amtrak® "Wolverine!!!!" That Riley's Railhouse® was awesome at Chesterton that Sunday night (12-19)! Did not sleep in the train cars, but the most expensive "Upper Berth" overlooking the tracks! Yes, we got the Amtrak® "Lake Shore Limited" and "Capitol Limited" but no "Heritage Units!" Did not get IN shortlines operating Monday 12-20! Got good CSS&SB passenger trains street running at 10/11th streets, Michigan City! Got light power of South Shore Freight® with engine #1000 (NICTD) trailing! CSS engines at the yard included an ex Louisville and Indiana Railroad® burgundy engine still in LIRC paint and name (CSS patch)!!!! Saw Chesapeake and Indiana® stuff a little! Photographed ex DMIR # 813 sitting near Co Alliance® in Union Mills! Actually got permission to photograph at the CKIN yard in La Crosse! Made it there just as the guy was locking up (I walked across a field in order not to trespass)! Got evening shots of SD-M # 814 up close! It soon will depart going to Wisconsin!!! There was a nice caboose too! Did not make it to see SD-M #818 at Hoosier Valley! Heard that their stuff is stored in sheds mostly when they are closed! That is something I want to catch running another time. Another time we'll have to see an ex ATSF GP9 in Malden! Also I want to see the old Wisconsin Southern® GP9R # 753 at Stark Co Farm in Hamlet! Here's a picture (© Seth Lakin): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3685926 Our third night we stayed back in Kendallville! Tuesday 12-21 we saw a couple NS trains in the greater Fort Wayne area! Even caught the "Woodburn Local" with a caboose (behind engine)! Caught the Napoleon, Defiance and Western® "Rickety Track!!!!" Parked GP9 #105 in Woodburn, IN and ATSF "Bluebonnet" colored GP20 #2026 in Antwerp, Ohio!!!! Caught a freight turning south on a spur in Cecil, OH! It had an Elkhart and Western® GP20 with 19 cars (most were ballast)! Did not see Ann Arbor Railroad® near Toledo!!!! Wow, it was a great final 2021 trip! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just stayed another night in Ann Arbor before coming home Wednesday 12-22!!!! :wink: :wink:

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Robertrains wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:14 pm
OK, "Mazon" and I had a great time on our "Indiana Adventure!" Here is a brief description of what we caught from the above list! Sometime after the film is developed, I may scan some negs to share! Yes, caught 1225 "Polar Express" arriving back in Owosso with the ex Amtrak® F40PH leading! Kendalville, Indiana was good the first night! Next day got Amtrak® "Lake Shore Limited" and "Capitol Limited" at an old closed Family Video®!!!! The first westbound NS train that day also had a "High Hood" GP38-2 second (of two locos)! Also the old Ludington & Northern® switcher stored at the Kraft® plant! South Bend is now run down and lots of homeless on the streets! Yelling!!!! Last time I was here was in 2005 with my late Dad (RCJ I)! The old Union Station we saw a "Three Some" of trains!!!! Found out that Arnold Street (CN/NS) is now blocked off!!!! :( Saw eight trains in about an hour at Ogden Dunes South Shore® station! Lots of NS freights! Got two South Shore® passenger trains meeting! Also got a South Shore Freight® train and Amtrak® "Wolverine!!!!" That Riley's Railhouse® was awesome at Chesterton that Sunday night (12-19)! Did not sleep in the train cars, but the most expensive "Upper Berth" overlooking the tracks! Yes, we got the Amtrak® "Lake Shore Limited" and "Capitol Limited" but no "Heritage Units!" Did not get IN shortlines operating Monday 12-20! Got good CSS&SB passenger trains street running at 10/11th streets, Michigan City! Got light power of South Shore Freight® with engine #1000 (NICTD) trailing! CSS engines at the yard included an ex Louisville and Indiana Railroad® burgundy engine still in LIRC paint and name (CSS patch)!!!! Saw Chesapeake and Indiana® stuff a little! Photographed ex DMIR # 813 sitting near Co Alliance® in Union Mills! Actually got permission to photograph at the CKIN yard in La Crosse! Made it there just as the guy was locking up (I walked across a field in order not to trespass)! Got evening shots of SD-M # 814 up close! It soon will depart going to Wisconsin!!! There was a nice caboose too! Did not make it to see SD-M #818 at Hoosier Valley! Heard that their stuff is stored in sheds mostly when they are closed! That is something I want to catch running another time. Another time we'll have to see an ex ATSF GP9 in Malden! Also I want to see the old Wisconsin Southern® GP9R # 753 at Stark Co Farm in Hamlet! Here's a picture (© Seth Lakin): http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3685926 Our third night we stayed back in Kendallville! Tuesday 12-21 we saw a couple NS trains in the greater Fort Wayne area! Even caught the "Woodburn Local" with a caboose (behind engine)! Caught the Napoleon, Defiance and Western® "Rickety Track!!!!" Parked GP9 #105 in Woodburn, IN and ATSF "Bluebonnet" colored GP20 #2026 in Antwerp, Ohio!!!! Caught a freight turning south on a spur in Cecil, OH! It had an Elkhart and Western® GP20 with 19 cars (most were ballast)! Did not see Ann Arbor Railroad® near Toledo!!!! Wow, it was a great final 2021 trip! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Just stayed another night in Ann Arbor before coming home Wednesday 12-22!!!! :wink: :wink:
Glad you had a great time Robert!

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Glad you had a great time Robert!
Thank You! I sure had a great time! This trip was well deserved! I also got "50th Amtrak® gear for this trip! I have to catch some "50 Heritage Units" soon!!!! :wink: