Hively Ave Overpass in Elkhart in the Works.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Hively Ave Overpass in Elkhart in the Works.

Unread post by Jochs »

A new overpass over NS on Hively Ave in Elkhart is in the works. Construction is expected to start in 2023. Traffic is often delayed on Hively by the reported 100 trains that go through this crossing every day.
https://wsbt.com/news/local/new-project ... 8AY_UC2TLA

NS 8101, the Central of Georgia NS Heritage unit, made the news! :lol:
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Hively Ave Overpass in Elkhart in the Works.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

From January 2019 ...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=36308&p=409448

There has been some work on the project over the past years. The exact route over the tracks had to be determined (whether Hively would be rebuilt as an overpass crossing Main St and the railroad tracks with a ramp connection to either the north or south or whether Hively would end at Main St and the overpass would be built as ramp that connected to Hively west of Main St). The last I saw no options included an intersection at Main and Hively where one could turn east and cross the tracks (as built at Prairie St and Indiana Ave). Lusher will also be closed when the Hively overpass is in place.

The other project at Concord Mall / Sunnyside should also be moving forward. The last I saw the path for that overpass had been determined (crossing the tracks and Main St through the property where Goodyear was and connecting to Concord Mall Drive at a traffic circle by the Chase Bank). When Sunnyside is completed the CR 13 crossing will also be closed. Sunnyside will be another crossing where there will be no direct connection between the overpass and Main St ... one will need to go west from Main St to get on the bridge to cross Main St and the tracks.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Jochs wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:27 am
Traffic is often delayed on Hively by the reported 100 trains that go through this crossing every day.
I know, you said "reported". I just had to laugh at that figure. Don't we all wish 100 trains a day passed through there?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

They did ... and they still do if you count all the DPU trains as the two trains that they would be prior to PSR.