Sample Amtrak delay on Porter-21st St Chicago Line

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Sample Amtrak delay on Porter-21st St Chicago Line

Unread post by twropr »

This morning the engineer on BLUE WATER 365 called NS' Chicago Terminal DS at 10:46 am to advise he had an approach signal at CP 238 (CP 239 on the Amtrak Line is the holding signal for CP 482 (NS Chicago Line junction). At noon 365 was calling a restricting signal at CP 494 - 16 miles from the point where he had first advised CT of his imminent presence. 365 had departed New Buffalo, MI at 11:33 EST (9" LT) and arrived Chicago at 1:04 pm CST, 1'19" LT.
WOLVERINE 351 did not do much better. 10:11 am departing Kalamazoo (55" LT), 10:26 am by CP 482 and 12:04 pm into CHI (1'17" LT). 351 had only made it to CP 492 by 11:04 am.
All Amtrak Twitter alerts showed on these two debacles was:
Wolverine Train 351 will be delayed departing Pontiac (PNT) due to late inbound train equipment. We will update when more information is available.
Update: Wolverine Train 351 is now on the move currently operating approximately 30min late.
For those of you wanting to have a better idea of what really happened, I can share what I was able to hear from the Chesterton radio stream. Whereas I can't comment on 351's delay, I can relate that CT let CSX Grand Rapids-Chicago symbol freight Q327 onto the Chicago Line six minutes after 365's engineer initially called. 365 passed CP 482 (also the junction with CSX's Grand Rapids Sub.) at 11:03 am - eleven min. after the head-end of 327 reported a signal at 482. Both trains stopped briefly to obtain authority from Foreman D4300 to pass thru his work limits and were stopped again - either CP 487 or 492 to wait for opposing traffic. An eastbound NS (possibly 34G), Coal train 880 and Intermodal 294 all passed before 327 and 365 could move. Not sure why 365 lost an additional 25" CP 494-CHI; however following 327 to where he exited the Chicago Line could have been part of the problem.
Andy

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Sample Amtrak delay on Porter-21st St Chicago Line

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The auto-router has taken all of the creativity out of dispatching. Watch ATCS between 519 and 482 on any typical weekday evening and you will see some moves that truly make you shake your head.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:15 pm
The auto-router has taken all of the creativity out of dispatching. Watch ATCS between 519 and 482 on any typical weekday evening and you will see some moves that truly make you shake your head.
This. I still can't believe that NS would still use Auto-Router on such a busy corridor, when it snarls their own traffic day after day, let alone Amtrak.

What you saw is routine, and has been happening since NS instituted auto-router systemwide several years ago. Skilled dispatchers used to keep the line fluid, moving both NS' trains along with usually keeping green bulbs burning for Amtrak. Not anymore. It's just a two lane follow-the-leader highway, prioritizing be darn. Worse, they have trains pickup and setoff at Burns Harbor off Main 1 now - single-tracking that segment from time to time.

Auto-router works okay on single track with sidings or long stretches of double main. But with multiple yards, multiple complex junctions and multiple classifications of priority, nothing ever yet built can out-compete a skilled human dispatcher.

In fact, I would rate a lack of skilled, seasoned dispatchers as one of the Top 5 operational problems at Class Ones today. And nobody seems to care. You'd think "Precision Scheduled Railroading" would also include good dispatching.

Thank heavens I work for a passenger railroad with its own line and a number of skilled, seasoned dispatchers :D
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

"Seasoned dispatchers" are sage-like and keep the trains on thyme!

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:33 pm
[

In fact, I would rate a lack of skilled, seasoned dispatchers as one of the Top 5 operational problems at Class Ones today.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Typhoon wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:15 pm
Saturnalia wrote:
[

In fact, I would rate a lack of skilled, seasoned dispatchers as one of the Top 5 operational problems at Class Ones today.
Amazing how after all these years, nothing has changed with him...
Bottom text.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Y@ wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:28 pm
Typhoon wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:15 pm
Saturnalia wrote:
[

Amazing how after all these years, nothing has changed with him...
Y@, how’s it been? Long time since you posted here! I’m honored you dropped by just to take a potshot at me!!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:42 am
"Seasoned dispatchers" are sage-like and keep the trains on thyme!
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1