Wabash city activity question(s).

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
ryanbytes
Railroadfan...fan

Wabash city activity question(s).

Unread post by ryanbytes »

I just moved to Wabash and I'm enjoying the tons of activity when I can get to the Huntington tracks. Does anyone have anything to share about the activity on that line? Are there any regularish trains that run through town? Am I right in thinking most or all trains westbound are from Fort Wayne? Where do they go once they pass through Wabash? Where do they come from on the way to Fort Wayne? Why the heck doesn't NS transmit useful info on the ATCS BCP frequency? :lol:

Thanks!

bob durnell
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wabash city activity question(s).

Unread post by bob durnell »

The line through Wabash is the former Wabash RR main line from Detroit to St. Louis and Kansas City. The line has traditionally been a large carrier of auto parts and finished vehicles, as there is a number of auto plants on line. It also runs through prime agricultural lands and serve of large number Ag related business. It also has a fairly strong intermodel presence. Major points on line include the crossing of the NS (ex-NYC) Water level Route at Butler IN, It crosses the former NKP at Fort Wayne, The NS (EX NYC) Marion Branch at Wabash, connects to the Toledo Peoria & Western at Logansport, and interchanges with CSX and the Kankakee Beaverville And Southern at Lafayette. Peru is the nearest crew change point, and there is a yard there. There are also yards at Montpelier OH, New Haven IN (NKP East Wayne yard), and at Lafayette. Decatur Illinois has a huge yard is really the heart of the former Wabash. At one time, there were about as many trains as the single track route could handle, but reduction of auto parts shipped by rail, the near elimination of Triple Crown roadrailers and the current practice of combining trains into multi-mile long monsters has reduced the train count a good bit. Some trains turn at Wabash and run up and down the Marion Branch to get to and from Elkhart, some turn on and off the NKP at Fort Wayne, and at Butler, CP trackage rights trains come on and off the Water Level Route and run between Butler and Detroit on the Wabash line. Major on line customers served on the Wabash line include Steel Dynamics at Butler, GM truck assembly at Roanoke, the ethanol plant at Clymers, The Anderson's grain facility at Delphi, and Tate & Lyle at Lafayette.

ryanbytes
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wabash city activity question(s).

Unread post by ryanbytes »

Cool! Thanks!