Brinco to cast bolsters in Bristol

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Brinco to cast bolsters in Bristol

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

This was posted on the indianarailroads.com forums in November and I thought it would be worth sharing here since it relates to rail at components and is adjacent to the Grand Elk east of Bristol:

A startup metal casting company has scaled back plans as it moves into an unused Bristol plant, but still intends to hire close to 300 workers.

The Bristol Indiana Corp., doing business as Brinco, bought the former Chassix facility at 51650 C.R. 133 in Bristol and at mp 13 on the Grand Elk Railroad at this time there is no rail service but I could see this changing to either bring in scrap or to ship out finished bolsters.

Bolsters are the outward part of the frame of a set of trucks. Each car will sit on approximately 7000 lbs of poured steel.

This project started in 2019 and took a facility (Chassix) that had cast aluminum suspension parts for cars and trucks, this facility had sat empty for the last 6-7 years and a complete renovation has been underway turning this facility into a foundry that will pour steel into sand molds to produce side frames and the bolster for railcars.

They are trying to do some sample pours this year and going into the production mode sometime in 2021. They have positions posted online right now so the work must still be moving forward.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Brinco to cast bolsters in Bristol

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Update on Brinco, earlier this week Brinco has gone from a Plant Layoff that happened earlier this year when National Steel Car located in Ontario Canada and also the Parent Company of Brinco went out on strike, Brinco supplied side frames and bolsters for the cars built in Ontario. the strike has been over now for several months and Brinco was to go back online November 13th, a date that came and went.
I was told on Tuesday the Plant would not re-open and is now Permanently Closed.
Attachments
20210421_165700.jpg
20210106_122326_045 edit.jpg

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Notch 8 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:35 am
I was told on Tuesday the Plant would not re-open and is now Permanently Closed.
The equipment has been sold to Amsted Rail who are looking at moving it to Granite City IL or a facility in Mexico.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

PatAzo wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:17 pm
Notch 8 wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:35 am
The equipment has been sold to Amsted Rail who are looking at moving it to Granite City IL or a facility in Mexico.
Mexico!~

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Lasted just long enough