Garrett Sub Q&A

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Garrett Sub Q&A

Unread post by MQT1223 »

As someone not familiar with the Garrett Sub, can anyone fill me in on the traffic one can expect and the easiest way to fan the sub since ATCS isn't available? Couple weeks ago I got lucky and caught the Geo Train move with the private varnish on the rear when I was fanning the CKIN at Union Mills along with a few other moves on the line and I'm hoping to learn more, train ID's, timeframes (yes I know its the railroad) and whatnot. I know a lot more traffic is being funneled through here again with 328 and 329 up here in Grand Rapids being discontinued for the forseeable future.

The one day I was down in Union Mills I saw the GEO train as well as a UP lead intermodal and a mixed freight with general power leading around 8 in the morning, so I'm not sure how much that helps.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Garrett Sub Q&A

Unread post by JoJames »

What end do you want to fan?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

JoJames wrote:What end do you want to fan?
I'd probably stay closer to the west end, since the Chicago Line is close by and its quick to jump between the two.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

The Garrett sub has DD detectors every 20 or so miles and the crews call signals so having your scanner on is the best help. On weekends usually mid afternoon there are lulls but from sun up to early afternoon you usually can catch a good amount of stuff from Willow Creek to east of Wellsboro. As for the NS Chicago line you are never more than 20 miles or so from that line except for just south of Elkhart, even then it's not all that far. Again with a good scanner you can usually hear both lines. I've often jumped back and forth between the two depending on where the traffic was. They do get farther apart once you get into OH as the NS line heads northeast to Toledo and the CSX line heads southeast towards Fostoria.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Trnwatcher's mention about the scanner is paramount in being able to be setup for the trains in the area.
I'd advise CSX between Kimmell and Avilla IN. Lots of sweeping curves and bridges to shoot from. NS line 4-7 miles away most of that section in case things get slow.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

trnwatcher wrote:The Garrett sub has DD detectors every 20 or so miles and the crews call signals so having your scanner on is the best help. On weekends usually mid afternoon there are lulls but from sun up to early afternoon you usually can catch a good amount of stuff from Willow Creek to east of Wellsboro. As for the NS Chicago line you are never more than 20 miles or so from that line except for just south of Elkhart, even then it's not all that far. Again with a good scanner you can usually hear both lines. I've often jumped back and forth between the two depending on where the traffic was. They do get farther apart once you get into OH as the NS line heads northeast to Toledo and the CSX line heads southeast towards Fostoria.
I got my little handheld, so assuming I set up in the right position I should be just fine. I have been wanting to get a magnetic antenna to amplify my range. Is the frequency for the Garrett Sub the same as what is used in Michigan?

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

Union Mills is the best location in my opinion. Scanners in each direction and the CN South Bend sub

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Talk wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:32 pm
Union Mills is the best location in my opinion. Scanners in each direction and the CN South Bend sub
Plus, you might get lucky enough to catch the CKIN.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 am
As someone not familiar with the Garrett Sub, can anyone fill me in on the traffic one can expect and the easiest way to fan the sub since ATCS isn't available? Couple weeks ago I got lucky and caught the Geo Train move with the private varnish on the rear when I was fanning the CKIN at Union Mills along with a few other moves on the line and I'm hoping to learn more, train ID's, timeframes (yes I know its the railroad) and whatnot. I know a lot more traffic is being funneled through here again with 328 and 329 up here in Grand Rapids being discontinued for the forseeable future.

The one day I was down in Union Mills I saw the GEO train as well as a UP lead intermodal and a mixed freight with general power leading around 8 in the morning, so I'm not sure how much that helps.

The CSX Garrett Sub (East West) on an average day yields about 50 trains a day if you go to the old model railroad club in Garrett, IN theres a medium sized yard that is used as a crew change point and there is about 10 trains that work the yard per day (mostly mixed freights) Garrett would be the best option as if the CSX is being slow about 10 minutes away is Waterloo, IN the NS Chicago Line runs through there the Chicago Line averages about 85-90 trains daily and there is also about 10 CP run throughs that go through Waterloo daily and on the CSX there is 2 CP unit trains on the Garrett Sub (CSX I165 and CSX I166) I165 originates in Bensenville, IL on the CPKC yard and I166 runs back to Bensenville (both run on the same day) I165 and I166 always have CP or KCS power (sometimes both) usually there is a mid DPU on I165 and I166 the NS has really friendly crews and its busier but the CSX has better photography shots and you often get parades lf trains alot of times you get CSX trains out of the BNSF yard in Cicero, IL and they often have all BNSF power there is aslo a few coal trains out of Cicero that run BNSF power up to Wixom, MI

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:08 am

…there is aslo a few coal trains out of Cicero that run BNSF power up to Wixom, MI
Not anymore! Last empties ran south a couple of weeks ago
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

David Collins wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:06 pm
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:08 am

…there is aslo a few coal trains out of Cicero that run BNSF power up to Wixom, MI
Not anymore! Last empties ran south a couple of weeks ago

It was nice to seem them while they lasted :(