Norfolk Southern Marion Branch

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Norfolk Southern Marion Branch

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I passed through Marion on Friday and noted that the PLs (including the dwarf) were alive and well at CP 78 and CP 79.

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

justalurker66 wrote:I passed through Marion on Friday and noted that the PLs (including the dwarf) were alive and well at CP 78 and CP 79.
And no immediate plans to replace anything south of Wabash. There were some, but there isn't enough traffic and there are bigger fish to fry.

We may have a small enclave of "heritage" signaling.

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob46580 »

Now catching a train in light in marion is the fun part! Some days it's not hard,others forget it.lol
That's the reason I chased 369 from Elkhart to Marion a couple months ago when 8025 was leading it on a sunny afternoon.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Some day I want to catch a southbound at the Big Four Cut (Wabash).

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

I always end up at the underpass for the Huntington Dist knowing if i go to the cut the elusive over/under will likely happen while im down at the bottom,lol

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

An over-under at Wabash is too rare for my bucket list. I did set up for an under shot before finding out the train I chased was 19K and it ended up going over!

BTW: Here is a chart I put together earlier this year to illustrate traffic on the Marion Branch.
NSMarionBranchTraffic.png

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

There used to be a local that would come up out of Marion, back the connection and then run to Roanoke. GM stuff, not sure if it still runs.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

So nothing between Alexandria and Anderson other than local service?

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

JoJames wrote:So nothing between Alexandria and Anderson other than local service?
And grain trains from the former PRR north of Anderson.

The NS local does not run to Indy anymore. So nothing uses the CSX/NS interchange at Anderson on a consistent basis

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

We are driving to Warsaw this week. Does anyone know if there is track work going on there where the track is in the street?
Thanks-

rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

The track work is done, but Hickory street is still not redone, closed to road traffic and ns supplies along road with tracks exposed still.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks !

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Got to see a NB around dusk through that section of Warsaw on Wednesday. Streets are still closed but looks like all they need to do is cover the track, the street itself looks OK. It is an interesting location, with trains operating that close to houses. The trains do not go slow through town either. A lot of track work north of town as well. I have photos, but not sure how to post them.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

LakeATCS wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:43 pm
justalurker66 wrote:I passed through Marion on Friday and noted that the PLs (including the dwarf) were alive and well at CP 78 and CP 79.
And no immediate plans to replace anything south of Wabash. There were some, but there isn't enough traffic and there are bigger fish to fry.
It has been a while since I looked ... but passing through Marion on Saturday I found that the EB signal at the diamond (formerly a PRR dwarf) has been replaced by a tri-light signal (noted by rob46580 in another thread). The signals north of town to Wabash have been replaced by vaders. The three other PRR signals on the main line and two WB PRR signals at the diamond remain intact.

Grab shot of the EB signal attached along with a picture taken a few years ago.
EB at the diamond
EB at the diamond
EB at the diamond (2015)
EB at the diamond (2015)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I love the Marion Branch. Whenever I go to Elkhart I always spend a little time on the Branch. I haven't done anything south of Claypool so safe to say I haven't scratched the surface, but the scenery and variety of things that can be found along it with the somewhat consistent traffic definitely make it a worthwhile line to get familiar with.

On a historical note, didn't the line used to go straight across the Water Level Route and keep going north WAY back when? Saw something one time about a line from the south that came into Battle Creek.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:19 pm

On a historical note, didn't the line used to go straight across the Water Level Route and keep going north WAY back when? Saw something one time about a line from the south that came into Battle Creek.
There was a line that ran from the Marion branch in Goshen to Sturgis. Going north from Sturgis there was a line to Battle Creek that crossed the Airline west of Colon, and the GR&I that went to Kalamazoo.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Back in the day the Marion Branch ran over to Benton Harbor via Niles. There was a diamond where the current north-south alignment turns northwest where the "Big Four" line ran on the north side of the now Chicago Line then turned north on Richmond St and passed under the now Kalamazoo Branch before heading northwest.

The "Pumpkin Vine" started just east of the diamond where Brunk is located (their loading tracks are the original alignment). The line to Sturgis twisted through the countryside through Middlebury and Shipshewana line a pumpkin vine, hence the name.

The GR&I ran from Fort Wayne to Kalamazoo (and is the current Grand Elk north of Kalamazoo) Small segments remain in Sturgis, Kendallville and Fort Wayne.
Big4NW.jpg