Porter Junction rail project finally gets green light

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Porter Junction rail project finally gets green light

Unread post by twropr »

On the Chesterton radio stream I just heard Chicago West tell Amtrak #371 that train 037 would be routed onto the Pine Siding ahead at CP 497 to get out of his way on TK 1. Apparently the siding must not be up to timetable speed for regular use.
Is the Indiana Gateway project complete now? With a siding in place between CP 497 and 501, why did they put in CP 498?
A slightly off-topic question - what at the PO trains, such as PO5 or PO9, that Chicago West often talks to during daylight?
Thanks!
Andy

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The numerous sidings are extremely helpful when trying to get trains out of the way. In that corridor you need both mains open, so they can stash a train there for recrew or to wait clearance if say the BRC or IHB can't take them. It's part of the problem with the CSX Barr Sub: not enough places to stash a train. So now they have Pine, Miller, Porter and LaProte sidings. They all see regular use.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

twropr wrote:Is the Indiana Gateway project complete now?
I'd say yes, although the question of if and how often the new Amtrak siding gets used remains.

All of the other sidings and turnouts that were part of the project have seen regular use. NS has also added crossovers that were not part of Indiana Gateway. There should not be any major new work pending from CP 479 west. (Normal maintenance projects will continue.)
twropr wrote:With a siding in place between CP 497 and 501, why did they put in CP 498?
For the same reason why they put in CP 500 ... access to Pine Yard that does not require manual switch operation on the main line (or the controlled siding that is often used as a main). CP 498 provides access from the east, CP 500 provides access from the west. Trains do not have to stop to align main line switches while entering or exiting the yard.

The pass you describe makes sense. The diverging route is slower than the non-diverging route. 371 would be able to maintain 79 MPH remaining on track 1. If NS ran 371 through the siding it would have needed to slow for the interlockings (and I believe the maximum speed on the controlled siding will never be 70/79).
twropr wrote:... what at the PO trains, such as PO5 or PO9, that Chicago West often talks to during daylight?
Do you have any context? Are any CPs or other locations referenced?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Not "P" but "B". You are hearing B05 and B09, both are NS locals that work in the area during the weekdays.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Something is lined out of the lead at CP 498

9xs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 9xs »

Last week, it looked like there was a track going from 498 through the woods and coming back out into Pine Yard

Dave

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

Checked with a source who said it was B06. Maybe we will start seeing this regularly.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Three pictures from Clark Rd taken Saturday, January 28th ...
CP498-Jan28th1.jpg
The new switch in the yard (points are just east of Clark Rd) for the connecting track to CP 498.
CP498-Jan28th2.jpg
A closer view of the connecting track as it runs past the other switches and behind the trees.
CP498-Jan28th3.jpg
CP 498 with the connecting track at the left.

Note ... the old switch just west of Clark Rd has been removed. The track that the new switch is on feeds down to the same point.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Apologies if this occurred earlier in this thread, but where are all the defect detectors between Elkhart and Chicago Union Station? I found some old charts, but I'm wondering if the trackwork moved any of them. A complete listing would be greatly appreciated :)

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I believe the only one moved was for CP 490.

The locations I have are 511.0, 505.3, 490.0 476.8 458.2 441.9 431.1 420.6 and 402.9
420.6 is on Toledo West track just east of CP 421 (Chicago East). After the Chicago East channel change the detector simulcasts on both road channels.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

justalurker66 wrote:I believe the only one moved was for CP 490.

The locations I have are 511.0, 505.3, 490.0 476.8 458.2 441.9 431.1 420.6 and 402.9
420.6 is on Toledo West track just east of CP 421 (Chicago East). After the Chicago East channel change the detector simulcasts on both road channels.
Thanks!

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

Its been a while, and all this stuff was covered in a few threads, but we finally have what may be the DEFINITIVE rear end view of the entire project.

It starts at 483 and goes westward..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uKlfCv0MR8

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Nice video and nice series too.