Porter Junction rail project finally gets green light

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
59caddy
bag of holding

Porter Junction rail project finally gets green light

Unread post by 59caddy »

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Porter Junction rail project finally gets green light

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Well it appears that I won't be taking a full fall Porter trip...it will be cool to see the differences after all is said and done...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Well it appears that I won't be taking a full fall Porter trip...it will be cool to see the differences after all is said and done...
Unless you go west of the junction, you won't be seeing much in the way of changes there. The vast majority of the work is taking place west of 482 and then to the State Line at 509.

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

CSX_CO wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:Well it appears that I won't be taking a full fall Porter trip...it will be cool to see the differences after all is said and done...
Unless you go west of the junction, you won't be seeing much in the way of changes there. The vast majority of the work is taking place west of 482 and then to the State Line at 509.

Practice Safe CSX
Yes but trackwork, signalwork and of course switchwork could easily toss a wrench into speeds and train counts...especially with that Elkhart project going on.

But I've gotta secure my 4.0 first :)

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

You are just silly, MQT.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

So...what work is being done? That article was pretty vague. Or do they not know?

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote: Yes but trackwork, signalwork and of course switchwork could easily toss a wrench into speeds and train counts...especially with that Elkhart project going on.
Unless you just so happen to be there on a day where they are cutting in a switch or crossover, and under a curfew, I bet the train count is barely dented by the work. There is no way you're going to divert all the traffic off the NYC at that point, so I'm sure project will be done in phases with minimal interruption to operations.

Practice Safe CSX

dmitzel
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dmitzel »

May have to do with the Midwest HSR South of the Lake upgrades: http://greatlakesrail.org/~grtlakes/

Hopefully we'll see a press package released by INDOT, MDOT or ILDOT that will clarify things. I'm most interested in understanding the routing - considering only NS is involved from the freight carriers it's likely just capacity improvements to the existing LS&MS-PFW&C routing from Porter to CUS - at least for now.
D.M. Mitzel
Div. 8-NCR-NMRA
Oxford, Mich.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

cbehr91 wrote:So...what work is being done? That article was pretty vague. Or do they not know?
From a 05/21/13 TrainOrders post:
Here is a list of improvements that were planned. It's from a couple of years ago, so parts of it may be different now. NS insisted on some changes from what I've heard. For reference, CP482 is Porter.

479.3 Construct universal crossover
482 Construct meet/pass siding near junction with Amtrak line
485 Construct new control point and universal high speed crossover
487 Replace control point, construct new universal high speed crossover, construct new crossover for access to South Shore RR
490.2-491 Construct new control point and new universal high speed crossover, construct siding extension and upgrade existing siding
492.5 Construct new control point and high speed universal crossover
495 Construct new control point and high speed universal crossover with connection to Kirk Yard
497 Rebuild signals and install high speed turnout to Pine Yard siding extension
497-499 Extend passing siding
499 Add power turnout for access to Pine Yard
500 Upgrade existing passing siding
499-501.2 Add power turnouts and construct passing siding extension
501 Modify/expand control point and install high speed turnout to siding extension
505.9-506 Construct new control point and rebuild and expand existing control point and add new high speed universal crossover. Construct new track to improve connectivity with existing running track.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?4,3079521

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

MQT3001 wrote: Yes but trackwork, signalwork and of course switchwork could easily toss a wrench into speeds and train counts...especially with that Elkhart project going on.
Why are you concerned about speeds? Most of your videos are of trains moving at a snail's pace. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

I'm guessing this is part of this project, but just today trains are starting to use a new crossover at CP 479. I'm not certain if there is one for eastbound trains to move from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1, but their is one for eastbounds to move from 2 to 1/westbounds to move from 1 to 2. This is a limited speed (40-45 MPH) switch. I will update as soon as I get more info.

Signals in both directions on both tracks are now ABSOLUTE.

(5 minutes later) EDIT - Yes, there is also a crossover for eatsbounds to go from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1. A test train B01 (light power) just went over it eastbound from main 1 to 2 at 42 MPH and will be stopping and reversing back through for another test.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Cool! Bring on the third main!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Cool! Bring on the third main!
Already have it between Auburn and W. Garrett, IN.

Practice Safe CSX

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The I-94 bridge work at 482 in Porter is just about done. The bridge at 484.5 still has a 25 mph slow order as they're adding an addition bridge on the north and south side for 2 additional tracks. Between 491 and 489 they have graded and have begun moving signals in preparation for an additional track. It looks like they will be extending the "remote" siding between 491 and 492 east as the third main to start.

They also look to be connecting the 3rd main between 505 and 506, where the line shifts from the NYC to the PRR alignment. The land is graded and the crossing between the two already has a 3rd track in it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

NS DED/HBD at 490.1 has been moved to 490.0.

I didn't notice anything new along the NS Chi Line while riding on South Shore Yesterday.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

justin_gram wrote:(5 minutes later) EDIT - Yes, there is also a crossover for eatsbounds to go from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1. A test train B01 (light power) just went over it eastbound from main 1 to 2 at 42 MPH and will be stopping and reversing back through for another test.
So ... headed westbound, is the crossover from 1-2 first or the crossover from 2-1? I believe it is 1-2 then 2-1 westbound (although no train would be routed through both switches) but the weather kept me away from verifying the layout this weekend.

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

It probably is like that, but I have no idea. If anyone is able to go look (which is hard withount tresspassing) please do. Probably the best spot would be looking west at CR-250 E or N Calumet Ave looking east, but have a good zoom lense since these are still far from the CP.

justalurker66 wrote:
justin_gram wrote:(5 minutes later) EDIT - Yes, there is also a crossover for eatsbounds to go from 1 to 2/westbounds 2 to 1. A test train B01 (light power) just went over it eastbound from main 1 to 2 at 42 MPH and will be stopping and reversing back through for another test.
So ... headed westbound, is the crossover from 1-2 first or the crossover from 2-1? I believe it is 1-2 then 2-1 westbound (although no train would be routed through both switches) but the weather kept me away from verifying the layout this weekend.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

It looks like the CP (at 479.3) is closer to CR 250 (crossing at 479.22) than Calumet (crossing at 480.87) ... with the overhead bridges of SR 4 (crossing at 480.37). If it cannot be seen from CR 250 a quick stop on the northbound SR 4 bridge might give a view.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Are the intermediate lights at IN 49 still there? Or were those removed with the advent of this new control point?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

MQT3001 wrote:Are the intermediate lights at IN 49 still there? Or were those removed with the advent of this new control point?
CP 479 should be now just like the signals at Grey. The eb and wb are spaced apart and the interlocking s are in the middle. They are now Absolute. I have no clue how close they are to the bridge now.