Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by LakeATCS »

It looks like they simply removed the switch and locked it out inside the interlocker. CP 421 is still broadcasting that switch bit. Comon thing for them to do. Look at the dwarf they left.

West Cast down on the New Castle has a setup like this.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

tttodisp wrote:Is there any evidence of new crossovers being installed at CP 421? A source had described some future plans for CP 421 and the removal of the Elkhart & Western switch was one of the changes mentioned. It sounds like they are planning on simplifying the crossover arrangement at CP 421.
I have not noticed any other work at 421. It looks like NS took the opportunity to make this change while the crossing was closed. Otherwise NS would need to build a double track crossing then rip out one track when the CP 421 work is done.
LakeATCS wrote:It looks like they simply removed the switch and locked it out inside the interlocker. CP 421 is still broadcasting that switch bit. Comon thing for them to do. Look at the dwarf they left.
I agree.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

So, if the switch to the E&W is now a hand-throw and outside the limit of CP-421, does the NS need to get permission from the Grand Elk to go 300 feet on their line, reverse the switch, and bring the cars to the E&W interchange, then repeat the process on the way out?

The new crossing at Prairie is nice and shiny. The new Prairie bridge over the Water Level Route is nice and shiny, with a dedicated sidewalk along the east side of the bridge, and about a 3-4' wide concrete curb along the west side. The new signals at 417 and Hively are nice and shiny. Signal situation at 426 is still the same as previously described with new intermediates on their sides ready to be installed at 424. No apparent sign of major signal or trackwork to come at 421.

tttodisp
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tttodisp »

I was told through a friend about CP 426, where they are adding two new departure tracks, new signals on the departure tracks, and new signals on the mains. Does anyone have more details? I am curious about any new track arrangement for my ATCS layout.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

tttodisp wrote:I was told through a friend about CP 426, where they are adding two new departure tracks, new signals on the departure tracks, and new signals on the mains. Does anyone have more details? I am curious about any new track arrangement for my ATCS layout.
New cantilevers replacing the bridge and qwarf signals westbound out of the yard:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6639687 ... a=!3m1!1e3
The mainline cantilever is turned ... the yard cantilever is bagged.
Scroll east to see a signal in the yard on the Inbound Runner.

The eastbound bridge is being replaced by mast signals.

(I've seen the signals from the road, but maps.Google.com is sharing aerials so one might as well look.)

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Thanks for the news, any new information on CP 421...

Thanks

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

justin_gram wrote:On the NS (ex Conrail), yellow over flashing green is an Apprach Limited indication, meaning to approach the next signal at Limited speed, 45 MPH. Red over Flashing green means Limited clear, proceed through this signal at no more than Limited speed, 45 MPH.
40 MPH

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

esprrfan wrote:
justin_gram wrote:On the NS (ex Conrail), yellow over flashing green is an Apprach Limited indication, meaning to approach the next signal at Limited speed, 45 MPH. Red over Flashing green means Limited clear, proceed through this signal at no more than Limited speed, 45 MPH.
40 MPH
NS Operating Rules January 1, 2015: "Limited Speed — For passenger trains, not exceeding 45 MPH; for freight trains, not exceeding 40 MPH."

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Question for any Elkhart rail buffs. The new 3 track 90° turn in Elkhart was made superelevated during the 2017 rebuild. Does anyone know what angle the rails are elevated? And also, are all three track, with their different radius, the same angle or do they differ (more than just tolerance).

Always wondered. I have considered measuring it but don't want to spend time in the clink.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Dajudge wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:38 am
Question for any Elkhart rail buffs. The new 3 track 90° turn in Elkhart was made superelevated during the 2017 rebuild. Does anyone know what angle the rails are elevated? And also, are all three track, with their different radius, the same angle or do they differ (more than just tolerance).

Always wondered. I have considered measuring it but don't want to spend time in the clink.
The railroads all have standard charts for superelevation based on degree of curve and track speed. Not sure how much sharper the inside curves are from the outside, they may or may not all be the same. But any difference is likely minimal, on the order of perhaps a quarter to half inch.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:55 pm
So, if the switch to the E&W is now a hand-throw and outside the limit of CP-421, does the NS need to get permission from the Grand Elk to go 300 feet on their line, reverse the switch, and bring the cars to the E&W interchange, then repeat the process on the way out?
GDLK doesn't own that far down. There trackage ends a CP1 which is north of the E&W switch.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone know where all of the boxcars are going on the E&W?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Not far. :)

brucey22
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by brucey22 »

Think you mean Grand Elk? Thats what joins at 421.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

brucey22 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:14 am
Think you mean Grand Elk? Thats what joins at 421.
No, the Elkhart and Western is also at 421. A NS local runs their cars out to them. They have been getting long strings on boxcars lately.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

It is interesting where they have been parking them. NS has been breaking the strings up to fill the space between the derail east of CP 421 to the yard, cutting for crossings.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

New question; Does anyone in the Elkhart Indiana area know if NS has "Yard Limit" signs posted anyplace along the various ROWs? I don't recall seeing any. I would guess there should be one before CP412 westbound and maybe something at CP426 east bound with something on the Grand Elk and E&W branches.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Dajudge wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:10 am
New question; Does anyone in the Elkhart Indiana area know if NS has "Yard Limit" signs posted anyplace along the various ROWs? I don't recall seeing any. I would guess there should be one before CP412 westbound and maybe something at CP426 east bound with something on the Grand Elk and E&W branches.
Yard Limit rules do not apply on the mainlines in Elkhart. Yard Limits begin past the yard exit signals on all tracks. As in, yard limit rules apply to eastbounds after they pass the westward absolute signal at CP 426.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

There are "End Automatic Block" signs down by Oakland Ave on North and South Freight. No Yard Limit signs on the E&W industrial track. The Kalamazoo Branch and Grand Elk are both CTC railroads with no yard limits on the main line. The nearest Yard Limits on the Grand Elk is in Kalamazoo. Certainly not in Elkhart.

Westbound trains at 421 headed for the yard (North or South Freight) usually get a "Medium Approach" as their last signal at CP 421. They approach the "End Automatic Block" at Oakland Ave prepared to stop. Yard signals showing red (stop) and white (restricting) and radio instructions take over from there. If the track between Oakland and CP 421 is occupied the best a westbound train can get is "Restricting" ... if the dispatcher clears the inbound train at all. Normally the dispatcher will not clear a westbound when the North or South Freight track where it is headed is occupied east of Oakland Ave.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I noticed this past weekend at Elkhart there is homeless people hanging around the station around 7 of them im not making fun but that took some getting used to i spent the weekend at Elkhart train watching got a motel in the area it definitely looks different with the upgrades to CP 421.