Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

rob46580 wrote:The NYC museum server went out with Ron Troyer a few years ago, well, not literally, but because of those changes, now its only Goshen and Osceola servers in area. and Ocseola has better luck catching things to the west, cp 426 is tough a lot of times for it oddly, unknown why.
I see 435 missing more than 426. There have been some nights where 423 seems like it only reports when there is a change (instead of once per minute).

BTW: Ties and stick track is being laid out at Oxbow to reconnect the track with the American Crane to a yard switch.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

I noticed two newly installed gas forced air heaters at CP417. Does each switch get its own or are more to come?

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

Switching to hot air blowers across the division as a cost saving measure. The electric bills for the control points in the winter is ridiculous. Small cities don't use that much power.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

With the new signal upgrades Elkhart to Goshen I am seeing flashing light aspects. Something new for us. How would flashing yellow over red over red be interpreted on on track 3?

Also, I am told by local historian that at one point between Elkhart and Dunlap there were 6 tracks. Four for the Lake shore, one on the north side for Big 4 and one on south side for the interurban. Is this true? I bet Hively was a real treat to get across back then.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Dajudge wrote:With the new signal upgrades Elkhart to Goshen I am seeing flashing light aspects. Something new for us. How would flashing yellow over red over red be interpreted on on track 3?
Advance Approach ... the next signal is approach (Solid Yellow over Red). The signal after that would normally be STOP.
(N282a - Advance Approach - Proceed prepared to stop at the second signal. Trains exceeding Limited Speed must begin reduction to Limited Speed as soon as engine passes the Advance Approach signal.)
Dajudge wrote:Also, I am told by local historian that at one point between Elkhart and Dunlap there were 6 tracks. Four for the Lake shore, one on the north side for Big 4 and one on south side for the interurban. Is this true? I bet Hively was a real treat to get across back then.
There were at least six tracks. I am not sure how many the interurban had. Don't forget that what is now US 33 and CR 45 (now on each side of the tracks) used to be the Lincoln Highway jumping back and forth across the tracks. A traveler between Elkhart and Goshen would have crossed a lot of tracks.

The interurbans died, the Big 4 connected to the Lake Shore and the Lake Shore removed tracks. It is nice nice to see the number of tracks go in the opposite direction (east of CR 15).

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

I am seeing bundles of new ties laid out for track one upgrades and new 1/4 mile ribbons of rail coming down off the delivery train for track 3.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Dajudge wrote:I am seeing bundles of new ties laid out for track one upgrades and new 1/4 mile ribbons of rail coming down off the delivery train for track 3.
The dispatcher loves it when two tracks have to be taken out of service at the same time for different crews. :)
(One foreman asks for track 1 for ties, the other asks for track 3 for rails, Toledo West becomes a single track railroad.)

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Novice question. At full crossovers like CP417 is it allowed for the dispatcher to move trains directly from 1 to 3 or visa versa EB or WB, and if so at what speed? Is CP417 considered to be a high speed crossover? While out in Nebraska on US30 following UP I noticed they have "high speed" crossovers that trains hit at or above 60 mph. From Google Earth I measured from point to point and the crossovers length is ~550 feet. These crossovers sport movable frog points as well.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I do not believe that CP 417 has moveable frogs. I have seen trains cross 1-3 at both CP 417 and CP 412.

torgy1962
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by torgy1962 »

justalurker66 wrote:I do not believe that CP 417 has moveable frogs. I have seen trains cross 1-3 at both CP 417 and CP 412.
It's easy to tell by looking at them!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

torgy1962 wrote:
justalurker66 wrote:I do not believe that CP 417 has moveable frogs. I have seen trains cross 1-3 at both CP 417 and CP 412.
It's easy to tell by looking at them!
See photos earlier in the thread. The frogs look solid to me but I'll leave it up to the experts. :)

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

Found my old photos of UP movable point frog, take summer of 04. This means each turnout has two switch motors and gas heaters to maintain. But then money is no object here. This shot taken around Kearney, Nebraska.
Attachments
IMG008.JPG

torgy1962
Railroadfan...fan

Dajudge wrote:Found my old photos of UP movable point frog, take summer of 04. This means each turnout has two switch motors and gas heaters to maintain. But then money is no object here. This shot taken around Kearney, Nebraska.
On the Nebraska Triple Track. Look at that track separation!

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

If you like the track spacing out in Nebraska on the UP here is a better shot from that same trip in 04. Notice 2 lane US30 just off to the right. Its the best parallel train chasing you can do. Look left or right there is always a headlight someplace.
Attachments
IMG006.JPG

torgy1962
Railroadfan...fan

Dajudge wrote: Its the best parallel train chasing you can do. Look left or right there is always a headlight someplace.
Indeed! Been there many times, before and after the triple-tracking.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Back to Elkhart ... all eight heaters are in place at CP 417 (six on the north side, two on the south side) to keep the points warm this winter. At CP 417 all four Track 2 switches are heated from the north side.

In Goshen (CP 412) heater installation is underway with six heaters in place so far.

Dajudge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Dajudge »

See photo for description of prior post. Track 1 has new ties laid out and track 3 has new ribbon rail laid out. Track 3 looks like it could still use some leveling and the bump out at Sunnyside is still there even though the old block is removed.
Attachments
DSC_0051.JPG

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Goshen's Lincoln Ave is closed for repaving (after rail replacement on track 1) and it appears that NS is extending the "Brunk" siding while the road is torn up. There was a note in the paper a week or two ago about two roads being closed for the siding extension.

I noticed last weekend that the Lincoln Ave crossing gate sign had been changed to "4 Tracks" ... it looks like when it reopens there will be a fourth set of rails.

9th St in Goshen north of Monroe St (US 33) is now a two lane street west of the tracks with the old northbound lane east of the tracks converted into a wide concrete bicycle/walking trail. Crossing signal installations are progressing south of Monroe St at every crossing that did not already have lights and bells.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The new Brunk siding (former Shipshewana Branch) extension ...
Former switch location
Former switch location
Looking west at the four tracks
Looking west at the four tracks
The new switch east of 5th St
The new switch east of 5th St

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

All but one crossing alonmg 9th St in Goshen on the Marion Branch has functional crossing gates installed this spring/summer.

Construction is finishing up on the final crossing (which will feature pedestrian gates). This should enable Goshen to create a quiet zone on the Marion Branch from Monroe St to Goshen College.