Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by GTW »

Well it's almost spring and I was wondering if anyone knows of any track projects in the Elkhart area for this year.

Thanks,

GTW

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I don't know if the running track to Goshen, the one which splits off to the Marion Branch, was completed last year? I know NS wanted to add two miles of track to keep the trains moving faster through that area. NS runs some 120 car whoppers down the Marion Branch, and its been a bone of contention in Goshen for a while now.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

I'll believe the third track between Dunlap and Goshen when I see any sign of construction or an announcement by NS. There was some work along that stretch last year, but it appeared to be tie replacement.

Goshen is working on establishing a quiet zone along the Marion Branch from SR 4 (Lincoln Ave) to CR 42 south of town.
http://www.goshennews.com/local/x726880 ... ture/print

Elkhart should start construction on the Prairie St bridge over the NS tracks this year.
http://www.elkhartindiana.org/departmen ... fDD=34-360

The pedestrian bridge on the east side should provide views of trains as they round the curve.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Thanks for the information..

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

The parts are coming in now. (40 Model 5H switch machines and 20 pairs of Siemens crossing mechs for C&S) Plans are to start in March. Going to be busy around Elkhart/Goshen.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail7695 »

Please keep us updated.. I personally want to see this unfold and be built. I remember my days of working the MOW

MaintainerGary wrote:The parts are coming in now. (40 Model 5H switch machines and 20 pairs of Siemens crossing mechs for C&S) Plans are to start in March. Going to be busy around Elkhart/Goshen.
THANKS M. SHIREY

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

There is plenty to do ... survey work, clearing the ROW including moving crossing gates/signals. March isn't too far away.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Is Elkhart losing 12 or more trains to Bellevue, Oh. sometime this year. If so then why would NS extend the line from CP 415 to Goshen at CP 412 and the Marion District.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

GTW wrote:Is Elkhart losing 12 or more trains to Bellevue, Oh. sometime this year. If so then why would NS extend the line from CP 415 to Goshen at CP 412 and the Marion District.
The trains themselves aren't going anywhere. The trains will just be classified at Bellevue, instead of at Elkhart. They still have to get from Chicago to Bellevue, and most all of that will ride the Water Level Route. The reason the third track is being extended is because trains have to slow down to enter or exit the Marion District. The longer the lead track (third track) is, the more the train heading south can be clear of the main before slowing down, and conversely, the more a train can be up to speed which just came north.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

A crane car and some cars that appeared to be designed for panel track were parked on the MOW siding near Meijer Thursday morning. The cars were gone by afternoon but a few panels were left in the MOW area. Perhaps someone passing by can identify the panels ... they did not appear to have frogs but I didn't get a chance to stop and take a close look.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Meanwhile work still continues on the 3rd main between Porter and Burns Harbor. Most of the ROW has been graded but the biggest hold up appears to be the bridge just east of 487 (I think it's 487). They're working on it but it appears to be a slow process.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Sounds like a lot of action for the next 5 months and my Indiana adventures. Should be able to hit Porter soon, so maybe they'll have something noteworthy done. Then later this summer I'll likely run into the Elkhart Project...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

Thanks for all the updates.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The panel track is a turnout for crossover ... and by the length of it I'd say it is a high speed crossover.
Here's two panels including the frog - and the panel that fits between the two:
Image Image

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

From Elkhart Truth:
Norfolk Southern Railroad submitted plans to the city in February to add a third track along U.S. 33. Construction will begin at the existing third track just north of the C.R. 17 overpass and continue southeast to link to another track just east of Indiana Avenue. The project is expected to begin in April.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Link to the construction story:
http://www.elkharttruth.com/hometown/go ... -zone.html

The tracks through Goshen to Monroe St are also being replaced ...

GOSHEN — Work will begin this week to replace railroad tracks along Norfolk Southern’s Chicago Line in Goshen.

The crossings at Monroe, Ninth and Fifth streets will close after 9 a.m. Wednesday, March 12, to prepare for construction. Construction was scheduled to begin Tuesday, March 11, but Norfolk Southern is waiting for a train coming from Chicago to pass through.

New tracks will be installed Thursday, March 13, beginning at Monroe Street and ending just north of Greene Road. The two priority intersections to reopen are Monroe Street and Lincoln Avenue.

Drivers should expect delays. Norfolk Southern expects most crossings to close around 10 a.m. or 11 a.m. for two to three hours.

If additional tracks are delivered on time, work will continue Friday, March 14, from Greene Road northwest to city limits.

Norfolk Southern officials plan to keep the city updated on the progress.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail7695 »

I am not sure if this relevant to this threw but there is new rail layed out ready for install along the coach tract at M.P. 421. You can see it clearly if one is to walk west along the bricks at the Amtrak station. I noticed it 15mar2014 as 19K was coming down to wait for an open spot in the main. I would love to catch the rail gang doing this work if any one see them working in the future.
THANKS M. SHIREY

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

NS still had barricades next to the crossings in Goshen. I do not believe they finished up the work they planned last Thursday or Friday. I don't see reports on when the next work opportunity would be but it certainly seems they are working their way west along the mains. I'll mention it here if I see the crews working.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The crews were out today between Meijer and Martins on the north side of Goshen.

t.winx
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by t.winx »

Any updates here? Many thanks
Tyler