Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Yeah I'm not too sure about it either...

You can see part of it here:

:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

Its not white! It took 20 gallons of Rustoleum Aluminum paint. I know because I did it.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

MaintainerGary wrote:Its not white! It took 20 gallons of Rustoleum Aluminum paint. I know because I did it.
Ok, SILVER. But not black. Will the other bridges along the line be getting the same treatment?

I assume with all that work that the bridge will survive the pending changes to the line.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail7695 »

Gary were will the rail gang be working at or starting first. :lol:
MaintainerGary wrote:Rail gang is scheduled to start Monday. I have been told that MOW will close all the crossings at the same time while the work is in process.
THANKS M. SHIREY

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

They will be starting at 426 and working east. All the old signal bridges will eventually be replaced with aluminum types similar to the west bound home signal at 412.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

So there working threw the yard eastward and out onto the coach track were I see rail laid? Then track two all the way to mp-412? I need to come down and watch them work!!! :D
THANKS M. SHIREY

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

In honor of the coming trackwork and signal upgrades along the line from the west end of the yard to CP-412, please enjoy this photo I took back on May 1, 2006 of Sperry Car 136 rolling along the 3rd rail at MP417.

SRS car #136 is shown motoring along the former New York Central Water Level Route through Dunlap, Indiana, just south of Elkhart, under the signals at milepost 417 on the 'third rail' to Goshen and beyond. This car is actually on home rails, as it was originally built by the J. G. Brill Company as NYC car M-11 in 1948 before being quickly transfered to Sperry that same year. Note the single chime airhorn on the roof, with a destinctive shrill pitch. May 1, 2006

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

GP30M4216, That is you photo?.. ZOOM in and the blue shirt is me!
GP30M4216 wrote:In honor of the coming trackwork and signal upgrades along the line from the west end of the yard to CP-412, please enjoy this photo I took back on May 1, 2006 of Sperry Car 136 rolling along the 3rd rail at MP417.

SRS car #136 is shown motoring along the former New York Central Water Level Route through Dunlap, Indiana, just south of Elkhart, under the signals at milepost 417 on the 'third rail' to Goshen and beyond. This car is actually on home rails, as it was originally built by the J. G. Brill Company as NYC car M-11 in 1948 before being quickly transfered to Sperry that same year. Note the single chime airhorn on the roof, with a destinctive shrill pitch. May 1, 2006
THANKS M. SHIREY

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

417 was about where the gang was at 5pm. Out with the old and in with the new.

A quick snap:

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

THANKS M. SHIREY

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

It seems funny that the Elkhart crossing closings didn't make the Elkhart paper --- but because they were mentioned at a Goshen Board of Public Works and Safety meeting the Goshen closings are reported.

Buried in the article:
"The board signed an agreement with Norfolk Southern Railroad and the Indiana Department of Transportation to install a grade crossing warning device at six railroad crossings. The final estimate for design, engineering and construction is roughly $1.77 million. The city will be responsible for 10 percent of the cost."

Updates from the City of Goshen ---
http://www.goshenindiana.org/content/ra ... g-closures

Norfolk Southern’s schedule has changed. Following are the planned closings and openings of the various roads affected by the installation of the third rail along US 33.

05/13/14 (Tuesday)
– Ferndale Road is closing

05/14/14 (Wednesday)
Closing Peddlers Village Road and Greene Road
Opening Ferndale Road

05/15/14 (Thursday)
Closing Beaver Lane, Indiana Avenue, First Street and Main Street

05/16/14 (Friday)
Opening Peddlers Village Road and Greene Road

05/17/14 (Saturday)
Opening Beaver Lane, Indiana Avenue, First Street and Main Street

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

So all of these roads are on the west side of Goshen out by Martian's store, and then threw town as the week goes on? I will be in the area tomorrow watching and filming!!!
justalurker66 wrote:
It seems funny that the Elkhart crossing closings didn't make the Elkhart paper --- but because they were mentioned at a Goshen Board of Public Works and Safety meeting the Goshen closings are reported.

Buried in the article:
"The board signed an agreement with Norfolk Southern Railroad and the Indiana Department of Transportation to install a grade crossing warning device at six railroad crossings. The final estimate for design, engineering and construction is roughly $1.77 million. The city will be responsible for 10 percent of the cost."

Updates from the City of Goshen ---
http://www.goshenindiana.org/content/ra ... g-closures

Norfolk Southern’s schedule has changed. Following are the planned closings and openings of the various roads affected by the installation of the third rail along US 33.

05/13/14 (Tuesday)
– Ferndale Road is closing

05/14/14 (Wednesday)
Closing Peddlers Village Road and Greene Road
Opening Ferndale Road

05/15/14 (Thursday)
Closing Beaver Lane, Indiana Avenue, First Street and Main Street

05/16/14 (Friday)
Opening Peddlers Village Road and Greene Road

05/17/14 (Saturday)
Opening Beaver Lane, Indiana Avenue, First Street and Main Street
THANKS M. SHIREY

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

conrail7695 wrote:So all of these roads are on the west side of Goshen out by Martian's store, and then threw town as the week goes on? I will be in the area tomorrow watching and filming!!!
Martins is Beaver Lane ... so the rail replacement should be the two crossings to the northwest. Ferndale Rd (closed today) is at Meijer.

Fortunately there are overpasses at CR 17 and SR 15 to cross the tracks during the peak of the closures.

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

I am wondering if or when the coach track and track two threw down town Elkhart will be done. I have seen a lot of rail laid down there. Would be nice to catch them in a less congested area.
THANKS M. SHIREY

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Construction will resume in Goshen (Beaver Lane through Monroe St along the main line) next week.
Four crossings scheduled to close Tuesday with three reopening and the rest closing Wednesday.
Beaver Lane (Martins) is expected to be closed for a full week.
Monroe St (the road between Goshen High School and the Fairgrounds) is expected to be closed for two weeks.
(The new rail laid out ends just east of Monroe St.)

All closures subject to change - but best case scenario, Tues-Thurs next week look like the days NS will be working through Goshen.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

Saw a track gang working just east of the fuel pad in the yard in the area of the SR 19 bridge yesterday. Also an American Crane at work in the yard lifting something, and what appeared to be 2 different welded rail trains on the West end of the yard where the MOW stuff usually parks.
I save lives. What do you do?

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Was that track gang laying rail were you saw this at the fuel pad?
Firemedic Mike wrote:Saw a track gang working just east of the fuel pad in the yard in the area of the SR 19 bridge yesterday. Also an American Crane at work in the yard lifting something, and what appeared to be 2 different welded rail trains on the West end of the yard where the MOW stuff usually parks.
THANKS M. SHIREY

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

Was that track gang laying rail were you saw this at the fuel pad?
It almost looked like tie replacement based on the machinery I saw and what I have seen it used for in the past, but I didn't get too good of a look. Definately a lot of orange MOW equipment though.
I save lives. What do you do?

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The welded rail train was on track two between Elkhart and Goshen today picking up the old rail. On the segment east of 417 (Peddler's Village and Green Rd) there was a rail crane working along the track moving the discarded rail from the north side of the track to the south side. The used track west of Peddler's Village was moved over a couple of weeks ago.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Still only minor changes in Elkhart to the track since the last report. The crossings at Peddler Village and Green Rd have been built up so a third track can be as high as the other two at the crossings. Other than that there is no major visual change.

For the future (beyond 2016) Elkhart County is looking at adding an underpass at the end of CR 20/Mishawaka Rd near the Concord Schools. Evidently they don't like buses and others waiting for the trains (usually done at Sunnycrest Rd or CR 13).

http://www.elkharttruth.com/hometown/el ... oject.html