Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by justalurker66 »

The barricades are gone from the crossings north of Goshen. I did not look further into Elkhart. There are extra rails laying off to each side of Track 2 ... I'm not sure if they are coming or going. I have not seen any specific "project boundry" survey markers but some utilities have been marked near US 33 in places. I have not taken a close look. Too busy dodging potholes. :)

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

Surveyors from Atlanta did their thing. You will notice the stakes with red flags along US33. (from CP415 to CP412) They are going to use the rail from track two, that is being replaced, for the new siding track.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MaintainerGary wrote:Surveyors from Atlanta did their thing. You will notice the stakes with red flags along US33. (from CP415 to CP412) They are going to use the rail from track two, that is being replaced, for the new siding track.
What is the track speed of the new lead going to be? Seems like they'd want a speed like he main to use it in getting many trains in and out of the yard, not just the Marion Branch
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

BIG AMISH
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BIG AMISH »

The curve in goshen is 10mph for the Marion Branch/District anyway so speed not a factor.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

MaintainerGary wrote:Surveyors from Atlanta did their thing. You will notice the stakes with red flags along US33. (from CP415 to CP412) They are going to use the rail from track two, that is being replaced, for the new siding track.
I just came here to post that ... :)

I saw the markers a day or two ago and stopped by Martins in Goshen this evening to see how close the markers get to the store. They follow right along the edge of the pavement next to the store and the recycle bins behind the store and come close to the buggy parking in the main parking lot. It will be interesting to see how close the ballast and rail come to the store.

Following the markers north they are placed on the rail side of the utility poles along US 33.

The reused rail seems to be a cheap way to get this started.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

MQT3001 wrote:
What is the track speed of the new lead going to be? Seems like they'd want a speed like he main to use it in getting many trains in and out of the yard, not just the Marion Branch
Depends if the yard will take the trains in or not :? Trains were parked along the siding last night.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

conrail7695 wrote:I am not sure if this relevant to this threw but there is new rail layed out ready for install along the coach tract at M.P. 421. You can see it clearly if one is to walk west along the bricks at the Amtrak station. I noticed it 15mar2014 as 19K was coming down to wait for an open spot in the main. I would love to catch the rail gang doing this work if any one see them working in the future.
That new rail, plus the new rail for track 2 from at least the Elkhart station all the way into Goshen remains along the side of the old track.

I noticed that there are also new turnouts (switches) sitting near the Elkhart station waiting for installation.

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

Not sure if it was realted to the work or just passing through, but an MOW train was stopped just East of the fuel pad in the Elkhart yard last night. Storage and supply cars, camp cars (including a heavyweight) and then flats with MOW equipment on the rear. Facing eastbound....
I save lives. What do you do?

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Firemedic Mike wrote:Not sure if it was realted to the work or just passing through, but an MOW train was stopped just East of the fuel pad in the Elkhart yard last night. Storage and supply cars, camp cars (including a heavyweight) and then flats with MOW equipment on the rear. Facing eastbound....
Could be from the bridge work over near 484 this past week. Last I knew they were tied up with a UP SD70ACe in Porter but that was a couple of days ago.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Trackwork today on the north side of Goshen near Martins. I'm not sure what they were doing but the trains were rolling through at walking speed.

Jhall
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jhall »

Dyer Construction was unloading site barrier plastic for the siding project. Also brought in some more equipment.

Jeff

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

Track work is happening on what looks like the north freight track. They have a switch, American crane, tamper, and lots of mow trucks.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

What trains generaly travel over the Marion Branch these days? Is there still a train that operates between Elkhart and Ft Wayne?

thanks!

Andy

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

twropr wrote:What trains generaly travel over the Marion Branch these days? Is there still a train that operates between Elkhart and Ft Wayne?

thanks!

Andy
365 (Elkhart-Fort Wayne)
366 (Fort Wayne-Elkhart)

conrail7695
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrail7695 »

I noticed that over this past weekend.. They put in a new switch there and building another one to add in. You can see it very well if you go to the NYC Museum side and look threw the fence. You'll see the new switch and maybe them working..
tsinoms wrote:Track work is happening on what looks like the north freight track. They have a switch, American crane, tamper, and lots of mow trucks.
THANKS M. SHIREY

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

There is also a lot going on in Goshen ... plenty of track work along Track 2 and the billboards are gone as crews work to reclaim the ROW.

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

Rail gang is scheduled to start Monday. I have been told that MOW will close all the crossings at the same time while the work is in process.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW »

What are the latest plans for CP 421 along with all the other work going on. Noticed it looked like the signal bridge has been painted, Is it staying..

Tom

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Yes, the signal bridge has been repainted (just came back from Elkhart a few minutes ago). There is also some rusty rail sitting near the crossing between the diamond at CP 421 and the second track. NS MoW truck dropped off some white bags near the crossing as well...not sure what they are for.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

NSSD70ACe wrote:Yes, the signal bridge has been repainted (just came back from Elkhart a few minutes ago).
I talked to a photographer who was not quite happy to see it in white last weekend for 765.