Elkhart, Ind.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Indiana.
rob46580
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Elkhart, Ind.

Unread post by rob46580 »

I'm not saying the old one will not be replaced, just no reason to put new one on bridge, I am still trying to figure out if cp 415 remains or becomes an intermediate, seems awful close to the new CP 417 for there to be a need for it as an intermediate.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

rob46580 wrote:I'm not saying the old one will not be replaced, just no reason to put new one on bridge, I am still trying to figure out if cp 415 remains or becomes an intermediate, seems awful close to the new CP 417 for there to be a need for it as an intermediate.
The current intermediates (tracks 1 and 2 only) are roughly two miles apart between 421 and 415. 415 might be close to 414 ... if it survives I expect it to be closer to CR 15 to provide more even spacing between the intermediates.

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

rob46580 wrote:I'm not saying the old one will not be replaced, just no reason to put new one on bridge, I am still trying to figure out if cp 415 remains or becomes an intermediate, seems awful close to the new CP 417 for there to be a need for it as an intermediate.
The 415 1W signal is a real pain in the A$$ to see for 1 thing. You could eliminate it and set up 414 1W to give you like a approach limited if you were going over at 417, as 4151W is currently it cannot display all the indications needed for the crossovers at CP 417. Both 415 signals sucked because of lights in the background although its always funny to be heading east on 2 and hear the ACTs calling out clear 415 no approach, no stop 2East :lol: then hear what they say when the realize they just called out a traffic light :roll:

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

esprrfan wrote:The 415 1W signal is a real pain in the A$$ to see for 1 thing. You could eliminate it and set up 414 1W to give you like a approach limited if you were going over at 417, as 4151W is currently it cannot display all the indications needed for the crossovers at CP 417. Both 415 signals sucked because of lights in the background although its always funny to be heading east on 2 and hear the ACTs calling out clear 415 no approach, no stop 2East :lol: then hear what they say when the realize they just called out a traffic light :roll:
I remember the South Shore having issues with their signals west of South Bend ... one night an engineer was talked past the absolute (now CP signal) at Smilax Rd. He told the dispatcher that he could see the next signal down the track and it was green. Unfortunately the next signal down the track was around a slight curve and behind some grain silos ... the engineer was seeing the NS signals on the parallel railroad. At least he was seeing railroad signals.

Back to Elkhart: CP 412 (Goshen) has the uprights in place for new cantilever signals at both ends. Track workers are building the new track three with the switch for the crossover in place to reach track two and the interlocking. Indiana Avenue remains closed (three weeks now).

There is a base for a new cantilever signal just east of the 417 bracket signals behind the businesses along US 33.

FYI: The signals at CP 412 are being built turned 90 degrees ... when they are placed in service they will be turned across the tracks in front of the current signal bridges.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

1000 words - CP 412:

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

30 day delay - bridge needs to be repaired/upgraded.... We will see if they get it done in that time frame.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

I had a hunch this would be the case. If GDLK was going to be swiched off the main west of the Amtrak depot as some thought a while back that bridge (cp 421.6) has holes in it big enough to see the road down below. Whatever happen to that plan? Some told me it was because the dispatching was handed over from Toledo West to Chicago East at that spot so the Elk would only have to deal with one dispatcher. Said it would involve taking out some of the bricks at the depot. Never heard or seen any more of that. Must be all the bridges need to be looked at based on the conditions their finding.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The bridge under discussion and in the photo is near CP 412 not CP 421. It is a location where the tracks were once a four track main entering Goshen, with a fifth track being the big four line crossing on its own bridge north of the current bridge.

The bridge at 421.6 doesn't allow daylight to the road below.

Track 2 and all of the switches and diamonds through CP 421 have been replaced ... so don't expect major changes there. Perhaps someone was BS'ing to see what would get repeated on the Internet? It really doesn't matter ... moving forward construction of CP 417 and the rebuild of CP 412 are underway.

MaintainerGary
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MaintainerGary »

All the panels at 421, and elsewhere on Dearborn Division, were replaced due to a ten year plan. People were scratching their heads all summer wondering why we were replacing all these panels that are just going to be removed in the future. The panel program was put to a halt two weeks ago and is under review last I heard. Maybe they actually figured out that if you're running at 120% of capacity you shouldn't be doing things that would disrupt traffic...

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

I don't see any benefit in disrupting the west portion of CP 421 ... the Kalamazoo Branch diamond, turnouts on track two and everything west and the switch on track two where North Freight diverges.

The eastern three crossovers ... the universal between track 1 and track 2 and the crossover from track 2 to track 3 - I can see those going away to clean up the curve. But that would mean an Amtrak train would block the track all the way to the new CP 417. If it were my money I'd put them just north of Indiana Ave ... out of the curve but close enough to be useful.

Going back to the old layout, where the Kalamazoo Branch diverged from track 1 and then there was a crossover to track 2 would not be an improvement. "Removing CP 421" completely would be difficult. Unless one is proposing the Amtrak passengers cross an extension of the Kalamazoo Branch to get to their train.

Keeping all those new panels in use would be the best ... in my opinion. It works.

Then again, it isn't my money or my decision. :)

Conrailfan1999
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrailfan1999 »

I plan on watching a few trains between cp 421 and cp 412 tomorrow, I'll be sure to post photos of any new updates that have not been posted yet. Also, does anyone know what the best time of the day to catch trains on the Marion branch? I know they run around 15 trains per day but is a spot in the day where one can multiple? I'd like to chase a southbound from to Elkhart to Warsaw.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

We had a decent Sunday last Sunday in Elkhart, Goshen and on the Marion Branch. The amount of track work and such being done is really amazing to see. Here are a few photos:

M2K at Leesburg

M2K by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

142 at Milford Jct.

Milford Jct. by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

The Lake Shore Limited stops at Elkhart.

Station Stop by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

Westbound racks at CP-412

Stacks in the Fall by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

CP Run Thru

CP at Goshen by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr

19K at Goshen

Yost by CG Tower, MP 142.3, on Flickr
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Conrailfan1999 wrote:I plan on watching a few trains between cp 421 and cp 412 tomorrow, I'll be sure to post photos of any new updates that have not been posted yet. Also, does anyone know what the best time of the day to catch trains on the Marion branch? I know they run around 15 trains per day but is a spot in the day where one can multiple? I'd like to chase a southbound from to Elkhart to Warsaw.
Hopefully your day went well ... I chased the branch down to Leesburg a few weeks ago and saw stopped trains and a sunset before much of the activity. NS seems to be running pairs of trains northbound and southbound at least once a day. But I have not paid enough attention to be able to predict when the trains run.

CG Tower - it looks like your Sunday went well last week. Nice pictures.

As for the construction ... the current signals (including the new cantilever not yet in service) at 414 and 415 are temporary. NS is constructing new cantilever signals at MP 415 ... one on each side of the CR 17 bridge. The new signals at CP 412 are in place, "turned toward the field". Indiana Ave remains closed with the repaving of the crossing not yet completed.

Conrailfan1999
Railroadfan...fan

Great pictures Cg tower! My trip went well yesterday, I started at cp419 and had 6 trains in an hour. The intermediate NYC signal bride at 419 looks as if it will stay, there were no reaplacements near it. A wb intermodal ran a red signal at 421 so the wb main would be blocked for a while. Also there was a freight waiting to get into Elkhart at Dunlap siding so Ns was single track from cp 421-412 for around 3 hours. This is another example for the need of crossovers at 415 and the third main. Most of the track from 415-412 is down, it just needs ballast. As said below, replacement signals are ready at cp 412,414,and 415. Also there is a new signal bride post at 417. So it looks like those signals may fall as well. Pictures coming soon!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

The new crossovers are going to be at 417 ... four turnouts are laid out on the north side of the tracks just west of CR 13. Panels for the other four are stacked along US 33. The new tower, just east of the current 417 signals, is for the new eastbound CP.

As mentioned above, there are new signals going in at MP 415 (near the CR 17 bridge). The current 415 and 414 signals (as well as the temporaries) should be going away.

BTW: I didn't mention the signals at CP 412. Currently the eastbound signals have three heads and the westbound signals have two heads. The new signals are reversed - two heads eastbound, three heads westbound.

Conrailfan1999
Railroadfan...fan

I also noticed at cp 412 the wb signals span the Marion branch as well so the dwarf signal will be taken out soon as well. Does anyone know when the old cp417 bracket signals will fall? I'd really like to photograph those again!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Progress!

The old 414-2 signals (east and west) are gone with the new overhead signal activated this afternoon.
The old CP 415 westbound signal has also been replaced by the overhead.
Removal of these signals clears the way for the track crew to finish their work on the siding extension.

The Indiana Ave crossing is "open" ... but not smoothly paved.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Saw a movement today past the Amtrak depot not sure what it was. NS 7120 had about 20 cars eastbound at 10:00 am. There were about 10 each bulkhead flats with light green tarps over the lading and running the full length of the car. Between each cut of 3 bulkhead flats was a 50 ft. Boxcar. Don't know if it was a dedicated lumber movement or some special lading divided up between the two types of cars? Anybody have a clue?

Jhall
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jhall »

The train with the green tarp covered bulkheads is B30/38 Bryan,Ohio to Elkhart and return. Those bulkheads as well as 60' boxcars are for Sauder Furniture in Archbold,Ohio.

Jeff Hall

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Jeff. Had never seen it before.7120's horn sounded like a wounded Canadian goose over main street. So this is a dedicated local when needed? Does Sauder get many of these?