IORY - Delta, OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

IORY - Delta, OH

Unread post by rail_watcher »

I was down in Delta over the weekend and finally made time to drive around and explore the IORY. I noticed that along the south side of the NS Chicago Line, from County Road 10, there appears to be new track being laid to the east, going towards the IORY yard. Are they extending their yard, or is something else going in there?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: IORY - Delta, OH

Unread post by redside20 »

Yes what your seeing is the rebirth of the little yard that served as an exchange or swap yard all those years ago with the rebuilding of the yard. Most of stub tracks were so bad for those years the iory put them out of service and along with relaying track for the part that ns or gtw tore out in 1989-91 being put back in except for the lead that lead back out to the wabash because theres nothing their nowadays unfortunately as we know it. but at the least the yard gets a new lease on life as funds that were granted five years ago are just now recently been distributed.
Exit stage left

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

redside20 wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:19 pm
Yes what your seeing is the rebirth of the little yard that served as an exchange or swap yard all those years ago with the rebuilding of the yard. Most of stub tracks were so bad for those years the iory put them out of service and along with relaying track for the part that ns or gtw tore out in 1989-91 being put back in except for the lead that lead back out to the wabash because theres nothing their nowadays unfortunately as we know it. but at the least the yard gets a new lease on life as funds that were granted five years ago are just now recently been distributed.
Awesome! What businesses in Delta does IORY do switching for? I’m assuming NS so does some of them?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Check out the Wiki for the complete list: https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/Indiana_%26_Ohio

The Andersons Metamora Grain Elevator Covered Hoppers
Nova Steel Delta Structural Steel Tubing Steel Coil Cars/Gondolas
Fulton County Processing Delta Steel Processing Steel Coil Cars/Gondolas
BlueScope Recycling Delta Scrap Metal & Anthracite Dust Transload Gondolas/Covered Hoppers Formerly MetalX.
North Star BlueScope Steel Delta Steel Mill Steel Coil Cars/Gondolas Jointly served with NS. Inbound metal scrap and pig iron and outbound steel coils.
Pretium Leipsic Plastic Containers Covered Hoppers Formerly Patrick Products.
Silgan Plastics Ottawa Rigid Plastic Containers Covered Hoppers
Steel Technologies Ottawa Steel Processing Steel Coil Cars

They also switch the ADBF in Riga and CN in Flat Rock interchanges.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Are they going to be reinstalling access between the IORY yard and NS or just extending the stub tracks father west in the yard?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I've seen nothing to indicate that the NS/I&O connection is going back in. There's not really a need for it either.  
chapmaja wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:01 pm
Are they going to be reinstalling access between the IORY yard and NS or just extending the stub tracks father west in the yard?

rail_watcher
Railroadfan...fan

Does anyone know their latest schedule for the Delta crews run up to Flat Rock and back? Also, a buddy of mine saw them using two of the new GE’s on that run recently.