Marion OH

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Btoth566
Railroadfan...fan

Marion OH

Unread post by Btoth566 »

I was thinking about taking a trip up to Marion next week sometime, probably Wednesday or Thursday, how is traffic these days? I don’t think I’ve ever really fanned there that I can recall so I’m not sure what the past was really like. I did some searches but didn’t find much about current levels. Thank you in advance.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Marion OH

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I have been there three times in the last year or so. It is quite good. Its nothing like Fostoria or Deshler. But it is much busier than anywhere in Michigan. On CSX, the ex Conrail Indy line (Mount Victory Sub) sees about 14-17 trains a day. The CSX ex C&O line (Columbus Sub) runs 4-6 trains. Although if there is alot of grain and coal running it can get pushed up to 8 or so. The Norfolk Southern ex N&W (Sandusky District) is the busiest line with 25-30 trains a day. But alot of the traffic seems to run in the daytime compared to night on that line. The NS is also unit train based so if some days the number can get pushed up if there is alot of grain and coal running. AC Tower is a must see and the station is gorgeous. You also should get ATCS or trainmon there is coverage on NS plus the CSX Indy line when it crosses the NS. That will help you alot. There is also a scanner I believe in AC tower. I think it is totally worth a day trip or so. Just get there real early in the morning because alot of traffic seems to run in the morning. Would also recommend going on Thursday. Thursdays seem much better for fanning

Happy fanning and good luck!

LVrrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Marion OH

Unread post by LVrrfan »

CSX Mt victory sub symbols:
I007-North Bergen, NJ-Rose Lake, IL
I008-Rose Lake, IL-North Bergen, NJ
M204-Pottersburg, OH-Buffalo, NY
M205-Worcester, MA-Louisville, KY
M216-Louisville, KY-Philadelphia, PA
M217-Philadelphia, PA-Louisville, KY
M331-Cumberland, MD-Avon, IN
M332-Avon, IN-Cumberland, MD
M363-Selkirk, NY-Avon, IN
M364-Avon, IN-Selkirk, NY
CSX Columbus Sub symbols:
L339-Willard, OH-Columbus, OH
L340-Columbus, OH-Willard, OH
L456-Columbus, OH-Walbridge, OH
L457-Walbridge, OH-Columbus, OH
M634-Selkirk, NY-Columbus, OH
M635-Columbus, OH-Selkirk, NY
I131 and I132 take the NW connector between the 2 lines from Detroit, MI-Salem, IL (UP) and vice versa respectively.
CSX also has 2 locals in the area. L331 is based out of Marion Yard and works east to the industrial parks east of town. L345 is based out of Fostoria and runs south to Marion as needed. I could be wrong, but that's what I know. Expect about 1-3 coal trains a day on the Columbus Sub, along with grain trains, which also run pretty frequently. The Mt Victory sub sees the occasional coal, grain, military, or unit train movement as well.
NS Sandusky District symbols:
L38-Bellevue, OH-Waldo, OH turn
170-Chatanooga, TN-Conway, PA
171-Conway, PA-Chatanooga, TN
178-Irondale, AL-Bellevue, OH
179-Bellevue, OH-Irondale, AL
194-Bellevue, OH-Portsmouth, OH
195-Portsmouth, OH-Bellevue, OH
14Q-Decatur, IL-Portsmouth, OH
15Q-Portsmouth, OH-Decatur, IL
18M-Elkhart, IN-Crewe, VA
19M-Crewe, VA-Elkhart, IN
236-Columbus, OH-Detroit, MI
271-Detroit, MI-Norfolk, VA
276-Landers Yard, Chicago, IL-Norfolk, VA
277-Norfolk, VA-Landers Yard, Chicago, IL
28N-Calumet Yard, Chicago, IL-Charlotte, NC
29C-Charlotte, NC-Calumet Yard, Chicago, IL
Coal trains on this line move quite frequently as well, and the occasional grain train cannot be ruled out.
A good day at Marion can see about 40-45 movements a day