Fostoria Park site work

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
R.E.A.P.E.R.
Railroadfan...fan

Fostoria Park site work

Unread post by R.E.A.P.E.R. »

While looking at the live cam, I saw a bunch of work equipment ripping up the concrete base on property next to the Iron Triangle park. A little digging online shows it was sold from "Community Improvment" on 6/15/2021 for $75,000.00 to Sandy Creek Properties LLC. I can't find any further info on this company. Does anyone know what they are planing to do with the property?

https://senecacountyauditor.org/Parcel? ... 1017000000

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Fostoria Park site work

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Per the Fostoria railfan group: To those that have noticed construction equipment west of the park, Sandy Creek Mining company purchased the property from the City of Fostoria. They will be building on the site for their expanding business. This building is needed as they have 4 semis a day coming to their facility. I have not seen the plans but I am sure they will try and keep loss of sightlines to a minimum. Please stay clear of the property and any equipment.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Glad to see something going into Fostoria. The railfans can only bring so many dollars into town, and most of that dries up when the weather gets cold.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

Even worse now that trains on both CSX & NS has dried up as well. Compared to what it used to be, not much to watch anymore or to stay all day and all night as well. Been well over two years since I have have driven down from Michigan to do that. Might as well tear down the rail park and turn it into an industrial park as that is what it used to be. What goes around comes around.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

I can see the headlines now... Foamers V Sandy Creek Mining
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

David Collins wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:57 pm
Not a huge loss... The big mistake was building the park away from the B&O :lol:

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

There is no way that project isn't going to have a big impact on the VR PTZ trying to watch CSX go by on the WIllard Sub.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

DaveO wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:51 am
There is no way that project isn't going to have a big impact on the VR PTZ trying to watch CSX go by on the WIllard Sub.
How did Sandy Creek Milling® work on the project at the site of Fostoria "Railfan Park?" :shock: Almost 2 years since they purchased some of the property! I am coming with good friend "Mazon" for Memorial Weekend! We will be staying Saturday through Monday (5-29)! The biggest Fostoria trip I have done! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Now, I have not been to Fostoria since June 29, 2013!!!! Before the "Railfan Park" opened! That happened November 15, 2013: http://fostoriairontriangle.com/focus.htm
Talk wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:14 am
David Collins wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:57 pm
Not a huge loss... The big mistake was building the park away from the B&O :lol:
I was looking at the layout of the site! Yes I will come here! I was wondering why the platform wasn't closer to the ex B&O! That is the busiest trackage in Fostoria!!!! Yes, we'll go to the regular spot by the ex AMTK station too! Does anyone know if there is still a CSX local that uses a Chessie caboose for back-up moves? That would be great to see and I have not caught that train! Do they work Memorial Day? :?:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

w3csx
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by w3csx »

Talk wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:14 am

I remember when the park was built. There was plans for viewing platforms on both sides. This is why there is a large open grassy area in the south-east corner by the B&O / C&O Diamonds. I don't remember if it was the city /state or whomever was responsible. But they where saying if the park was a success. The second platform would be added when funds became available. 10 years later I'm sure that idea has long since be shelved and forgotten. If nobody is companying, why spend the money?

What they need to sink some money into, is the bathrooms. They where deplorable last time I was able to be visit in November.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

The bathrooms were not terrible last summer and a step up from the portable in Deshler!

25heberl
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 25heberl »

just went last weekend the restroom's were replaced by porta-potties because them bathrooms were vandalized :evil:

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

When the park was built, I wondered if vandalism, etc. would get the best of it. I've visited the park more times than I can count over the years, and aside from hearing accounts from Ellen the caretaker as to how the toilet paper was being stolen from the women's bathroom; the usual complaints about it being ignored by the city; and reading a recent, rather nebulous, post to the TrainOrders forum, in which someone hinted at some nefarious activity taking place at the park, on balance it seemed things were going better there than I expected. I haven't gotten to the park yet this year, but it is a shame to read that the bathrooms have been vandalized.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

OK, about to head to Fostoria and spend our time (with good friend 'Mazon') until Memorial Day evening!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Now, CSX still uses cabooses on locals! :wink:
This video (© dinasar) was Easter Sunday 2023: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0OJz1Q ... qBdAeiEMct
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/