Tootles

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Tootles

Unread post by SD80MAC »

So, what ever happened to the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western? I remember a bunch of posts here a while back exposing a bunch of the FRA violations they were doing, then they got involved with Midwest Rail, which was a dumpster fire in its own right. Does the RR still exist? Do they run trains anymore?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Tootles

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:40 am
So, what ever happened to the Toledo, Lake Erie & Western? I remember a bunch of posts here a while back exposing a bunch of the FRA violations they were doing, then they got involved with Midwest Rail, which was a dumpster fire in its own right. Does the RR still exist? Do they run trains anymore?
I went down that way back in August. They still exist but the railroad looks a little rough, and they were only running motorcars (across the NKP Maumee River Bridge) prior to COVID. I will say that the old trolley museum site they acquired in GR looks really nice now, and it seems to be where they are doing most of the work.
Check out my album:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... ?id=137156

Some highlights:
Last edited by NS3322 on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

First off, it's Toodles...

Line looks terrible because no spray was done last year account no income.

Not much visible occurring, but nonetheless, things are happening. At least what can be done with the whole 'rona issue.

It's been around 51 years, not going away any time soon.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Toodles

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

This thread will probably be deleted soon as they usually do when someone tries to start negative publicity for the RR. However, there are several hardworking members who pour a lot of time and money into the line and equipment. These members have a love for railroading and a love for the TLEW. As you know, this line has a lot of potential with scenic countryside views, the beautiful scenes over the Maumee River and has and will continue in the future to provide tourism to both ends of the line. Please put aside your differences. Any donations and volunteer time can only help shine up those rails sooner. And they will again. But to echo what was said above, the TLEW isn’t going away any time soon.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

So how is the bridge over the river? I recall a concern a few years ago was the bridge, the need for inspections, cost of, results of etc. Must be the bridge is in somewhat decent shape if they are running motorcars over them, seems like for some reason a train was unable to run on the bridge though.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

First of all, if my post came off as snarky, I apologize. I was chatting with another member the other day about all of the controversy that at one time had surrounded this railroad and we both had not heard anything about it recently. I am glad to hear that there are people committed to bringing it back!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

The bridge will require a decent investment of funds to mostly replace bridge ties and general structural maintenance to safely hold the weight of a locomotive and rolling stock. There are a few street crossing repairs to be made, culvert repairs, passenger car maintenance and some locomotive work. All is entirely possible. It will likely be done in segments at a time with limited funds. But any donations of any kind are what will help make these milestones happen sooner. The TLEW has so much potential. Let’s help get this grand old lady up and running!