IORY Lima

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

IORY Lima

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Going to be in Ohio this week around the IORY south of Hamler, and down past Lima. I'm looking for any info on usual times or days the IORY runs north and south out of Lima. Also would like any info on the CFE through Lima. Thanks.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY Lima

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

As of a month ago; Mornings are best.

The CFE Road Train to Fort Wayne runs at night

There is a daily? CFE to CSX transfer, including on weekends.

ImageCSX Lima Yard by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCSX & CFE Race in Lima by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Another CFE job seems to either run west to Van Wert or east to Upper Sandusky each day.

The I & O had a yard job that went south on the weekdays and a road train that followed.

ImageI&O 2097- Lima, OH by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageI & O 2097 - I&O Diamond, Lima by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageIndiana & Ohio - DTI Signals, Lima by tcamp7837, on Flickr

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Thank You, ConrailDetroit.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Great pics and info as usual CRD!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

The southbound run of the LNL (Lima North Local) was at Hamler around 7:45 AM Monday. This is usually a little later than normal. Train goes north to Delta in the late evening and returns about 8 hours later trying get to Lima before outlawing.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

Going to Lima in late July for motorcycle flat track race will check out the yard while I'm up there looks active

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

LSW1 starts at 0500 and stays in the yard most of the time.
Lima B starts at 0800 and does out of town industry work.
LSL starts at 0900 and makes the Tremont turn.

Thats your daylight stuff.
Bottom text.

bus12
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bus12 »

A few months back, the I&O got some new business that is actually has some interesting logistical quirks. So the Steel plant at Delta in conjunction with the Reading Blue Mountain and Northern in Pa set up a transload at the to bring in anthracite dust in covered hoppers. NS acts as the middle man as the covered hoppers are handed off from the RBMN in PA and is transported to Bellevue from Pa by NS. The local out of Bellevue brings the traffic to Fostoria and eventually to Lima where the traffic is interchanged with the IORY there.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

bus12 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:29 pm
A few months back, the I&O got some new business that is actually has some interesting logistical quirks.
Thanks for the new information, bus12. Any idea how many carloads will be handled? What does the mill use the dust for?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bus12
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bus12 »

AARR, another poster said there were 8-10 carloads of covered hoppers with anthracite dust in the spur at Metal X and there probably couldve been more at the transload. So im guessing the covered hoppers could come in a few times a week and maybe daily well have to ask someone more better in the know. This is supposed to be a collaborated effort in part to keep trucks off the road and is a joint effort between all three railroads, Blue Scope Steel, Metal X and Ag trucking who set up the transload. THe anthracite dust itself is what Blue Scope was seeking for the process of steel making with an electrical arc furnace and the dust is used as an ingredient. For example the SDI steel plant near Fort Wayne Indiana and gets anthracite dust shipped in by rail and is transloaded in fort wayne

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks again bus12 :)
bus12 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:10 am
AARR, another poster said there were 8-10 carloads of covered hoppers with anthracite dust in the spur at Metal X and there probably couldve been more at the transload.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Yea know i was on vacation the second week of December and spent a couple nights in Fostoria and saw the NS local that runs between Fostoria and Lima symbol L76 it had a block of maybe 10 covered hoppers with RBMN reporting marks mmm now i know the rest of the story because i was wondering who was getting those nice.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

bus12 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:10 am
AARR, another poster said there were 8-10 carloads of covered hoppers with anthracite dust in the spur at Metal X and there probably couldve been more at the transload.
That is the transload. The cars are unloaded in MetalX and the dust trucked across the street to NSBS.
Bottom text.

bus12
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bus12 »

Thank you