IORY and CF&E northwest quadrant connection in Lima

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

IORY and CF&E northwest quadrant connection in Lima

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

Anyone know if this is up and running yet? I recently saw one of Scott T's videos from late last year that showed construction progress was underway at that time.

This connection will greatly increase the efficiency of interchange between these two G&W railroads, as it will provide for fluid moves between the CF&E yard (which is west of the diamond) and the IORY yard (which is north of the diamond)

The current connection is in the southeast corner. Anyone know when that was built and why it was built in that corner? I would imagine it dates back to at least the Henry Ford era of the DT&I.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY and CF&E northwest quadrant connection in Lima

Unread post by JoJames »

The northwest connection was completed in late 2019
The southeast connection was also rebuilt.
The southeast connection was used at the start of ConRail to access the refinery when the Erie Lackawanna no longer was a through route.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The connection between the the PRR and DT&I in the southeast quadrant has existed since 1899 according to the Sanborn maps.
The tower at this crossing was called Sugar Street.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4084lm.g4 ... 17,1.015,0

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

The northwest connection at Sugar Street is indeed in service. It sees CF&E's interchange run to I&O's Ford Park Yard multiple times a week (typically in the mid afternoon but that's not set in stone), along with grain trains to the ethanol plant on the I&O south of Lima.

The original southeast connector was also rebuild and broadened before being put back into service, though I have not seen a move on it yet.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

SE connection has been done for some time but was never placed back in service. My guess is it will remain OOS until the power switches go in sometime this spring/summer/whenever.
Bottom text.

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

Y@ wrote:SE connection has been done for some time but was never placed back in service. My guess is it will remain OOS until the power switches go in sometime this spring/summer/whenever.
Ah, interesting stuff, didn't know it was still considered OOS. Thanks for the update.

G
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Y@ wrote:SE connection has been done for some time but was never placed back in service. My guess is it will remain OOS until the power switches go in sometime this spring/summer/whenever.
Are the northwest transfer switches power throws?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Not yet but they will be.
Bottom text.