TR 43 Overpass - East of Fostoria

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

TR 43 Overpass - East of Fostoria

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

I was looking at the ODOT Statewide Transportation Improvement Program list, which includes all planned road projects in Ohio, and came across this description of a project near Fostoria, shown as being in SFY 2020:
Description: Railroad grade separation for
TR-43 and CSX RR in the city of Fostoria.
Construct overpass on TR-43 with connector
road on east side of Fostoria; Perform
necessary related work. (Const and RW
funding should be 90% GSP, 5% County, 5%
RR). See PID 23112 f Work Type: Railroad
Grade Separation Termini: TR-43 and CSX
RR
In trying to look up more about it, I discovered that this was apparently first proposed and talked about back in the early 00's. Here's a diagram, which I think is from the original plans, so I'm not quite sure if it's exactly what will be done now. It calls for an overpass on TR 43 over the B&O, and a new connector road built from TR 43 north of the overpass to Bulger Ave in Fostoria:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D0 ... d%20RR.pdf

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: TR 43 Overpass - East of Fostoria

Unread post by JoJames »

This was the last of three to be built in the Fostoria area. Supposedly ran out money building the other two. The idea for this was all the parked trains after the ConRail breakup of 1999.

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Re: TR 43 Overpass - East of Fostoria

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

JoJames wrote: The idea for this was all the parked trains after the ConRail breakup of 1999.
Ah, I see. Does that crossing at TR 43 still get blocked much by stopped trains?

To me, if they're going to spend money on an overpass on the east side of Fostoria, it would make more sense to do it for the CR 60 crossing of the NKP at Blair Yard. (Though at least the connector road for the planned project will give CR 60 traffic an alternate way to access the Fostoria city street network)