NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by heypal6878 »

So yesterday I was talking to one of the managers for Sardinia Concrete Company. They are getting the contact for the new Purina complex on Half Acre Road. Purina just purchased another 85 acres of property to add on to what they have to build and additional building. Property out that way is stating to go up and from what he told me the county is looking at another large manufacture that may build along the Peavine out there in the future. Sardinia is going all the concrete works for Purina.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

That’s a hell of a lot of concrete for them. That part of the line will be so darn busy in the coming years for sure. They are pushing lots of storage cars east. Hopefully when they run stone trains they will get rarden siding. A man I know said they was trying to get it from NS. This has been several months ago.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

I'm sure the Peavine will be very busy in the next ten years and storage is not going away. I bet they do open the line out more to the east and may need to get that Rarden siding as long as the tracks are in good shape. I'm sure the CCET doesn't want to spend a ton of money fixing and replacing ties unless they have a decent return on their money.

I talked tonight to the guy who is a big shot with Sardinia Concrete which by the way was just bought out by a larger concrete company based in Columbus. They signed all the contract this week do to all the concrete work at Purina. Major concrete work. That will be one large complex when the work is complete.

I would think the CCET will need more power in the year or two to come to do all of this moving of cars.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Northstar I have confirmed all your information and everything is correct. Sardinia did get a long term contract for the work at the new plant all is a go there. From the information I received this weekend the Peavine will be rather busy starting in the spring of 2022 when the business will be up and running. Between car storage and serving new accounts on the tracks the CCET best really watch the tracks to make sure they are in good condition. Moving rock from up east the old tracks will be taking a beating.

I was getting food last week at Wendy's on Red Bank and the NS was hauling a load back to Sharonville looked to have several grain cars some tankers in tow. Looks like NS going to be a happy camper when Purina gets up and running both NS and the CCET will generate some good cash flow from this operation.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Since our President has stopped the pipeline most likely oil tank storage will be a thing of the past. Tankers will be put back in service here soon as more oil will be shipped by tankers on the rails. There was a pretty interesting article today on the internet.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

northstar16 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:12 pm
Since our President has stopped the pipeline most likely oil tank storage will be a thing of the past. Tankers will be put back in service here soon as more oil will be shipped by tankers on the rails. There was a pretty interesting article today on the internet.
More trains is always a good thing. Maybe there will be a pick up in such traffic throughout the region.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Slight derail this week in Newtown Ohio went down and checked it out when my buddy told me the road was blocked. Got pretty close looks like wheels came off of the track but no cars turned over which is good for the CCET. Took several hours but they did manage to get everything back on the track.

MOW crew came out to inspect and the rail is fine now. Again this is going to become a problem more and more as the CCET is hauling more heavy loads on old rails. Old ties that have been there for many years. NS rarely did much rail work other than working on the rails in and around Clare Yard and on Roundbottom Road.

Now with more stone coming from Plum Run the rails need to be looked at carefully before Purina opens up here in 2 more years. Added traffic on the rails could mean more derails. The I&O has had a few as well with heavy loads.

This past month with very cold temps, ice, snow and then melting and this weekend with heavy rain rails can shift. Hopefully the CCET is keeping an eye on things as a major derail cars coming off the track and turning over would not be good. The cost of bringing in heavy equipment and replacement cost of cars can really hurt the shortline although they most likely have a large insurance policy.

PeavineEnthusiast
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PeavineEnthusiast »

NS 3481 + Times
Did CCET Buy/Lease 3481 from NS or is it just NS letting them borrow it?
What times do the CCET run of Friday?
Thanks

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

From what I hear it is a lease. That is a late model engine. Think the CCET is going to lease another one here soon as they need more power to move rock from Plum Run to the transloader site.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

SD 40-2.jpg
Attachments
SD 40-2.jpg

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

northstar16 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:38 pm
From what I hear it is a lease. That is a late model engine. Think the CCET is going to lease another one here soon as they need more power to move rock from Plum Run to the transloader site.
It’s not on the NS roster anymore. It was sold in December 2020 to Mervis Recycling at Decatur, Illinois. Somebody must have saved it from the scrapper. It’s not a late model engine at all. It was built in March 1980.

PeavineEnthusiast
Railroadfan...fan

ns8401 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:17 pm
northstar16 wrote:
It’s not on the NS roster anymore. It was sold in December 2020 to Mervis Recycling at Decatur, Illinois. Somebody must have saved it from the scrapper. It’s not a late model engine at all. It was built in March 1980.
Thats what I figured. Do you know if this is replacing the B-23 or one of the B-36's?
So, what is expected on Friday's from CCET?

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

PeavineEnthusiast wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:44 pm
ns8401 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:17 pm
northstar16 wrote:
Thats what I figured. Do you know if this is replacing the B-23 or one of the B-36's?
So, what is expected on Friday's from CCET?
I can just tell you about the engine, I don’t even know where in Ohio the Peavine is or any of the details about it or the operation there.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

On the engine leased from IBCX and the engine was built in 1980 was going to the scrap yard. NS has been upgrading engines for the past ten years.

The CCET runs in on most Fridays brings loads from out east to Clare Yard west and NS picks them up on Friday night and moves them to Sharon Yard. Why I know that is because I live on the Bluff in Mariemont hear NS sometimes as early as 1:30 in the morning picking up cars on the siding just east of Clare Yard.

The CCET is going to lease another one from what I hear in the summer

PeavineEnthusiast
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks northstar

PeavineEnthusiast
Railroadfan...fan

Went and Saw the Peavine Today. I saw that both NS-SD40's have arrived on the property and 1011 seems to be in bad shape. Lots of Tank Cars still in storage and the SD-40's are parked just west of Siteman Rd just outside of Sardinia. The Purina facility is also taking shape and a lot of earth is being moved there and lots of construction traffic through there on Half-Acre. However, East of Plum Run, there seems to be no cars in storage there but the derail and gravel pile at Jay Bird are still in place. From what is visible from 73, the weeds do not look that bad but that is just more of the season more than anything. Crossings are still in good shape, as they are still being kept in good shape for all of that FRA/DOT stuff. Just before you get to McDermott, there are some big trees on the ROW. Other than this everything else seemed in good shape and I don't really know what condition the Vera Bridge is in. So, it will be interesting to see what happens with the line this year. Also, with the Siteman Road Crossing, they are putting in Safetran Signals and that is very interesting to see.
New Signals/ NS SD40-2's Image Image
1011- Image
JayBird- Image

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Have to sign in to Google to see images

PeavineEnthusiast
Railroadfan...fan

A better photo of the signals.

PeavineEnthusiast
Railroadfan...fan

Here's the photos. Hopefully you can access them this time. https://imgur.com/a/IsAlT8B

bus12
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bus12 »

This will make the Peavine Enthusiasts jump for joy even more! The Adams County CIC is funding a proposed industrial park looking to locate on the outskirts of Winchester Ohio on the southeast side near the convention hall. Actually across the field between Route 32 and the railroad tracks

https://www.jobsohio.com/news/posts/job ... MrV2LfoPCk