"Train Dodging" On NS @ MP 200 near Berea

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

"Train Dodging" On NS @ MP 200 near Berea

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

http://fox8.com/2013/02/07/train-dodgin ... -concerns/

What a bunch of.... well.... fill in the blank.

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Re: "Train Dodging" On NS @ MP 200 near Berea

Unread post by Evan »

Idiots. If, they do get killed, honestly, they deserved it. I'm not saying that to be crude or mean, just being honest. No reason to scare train crews that work 24/7. That's the last thing they want on there mind, is the thought of striking and killing people who are playing chicken with 2,000+ plus pounds of steel hurtling down the rails at 50+mph.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If we still lived like cavemen, people like these kids would be saber tooth tiger food by now :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I wonder if that train did go into emergency...can't quite tell in the video.

I talked with an NS Maintainer in Porter last summer, and he mentioned some recent stories about the kids there crossing and playing on the tracks. Said there had been 5 emergency applications in Chesterton/Porter in the last 3 weeks. He said in one instance, the boy had been sitting on the tracks, then a maintainer came by and told him to get off, as a train was coming. He did, going into a nearby field, but the passing train then alerted them that he was coming back towards the tracks as they were going by. They radioed NS Police.

However, people driving around there have had little problems of going around the gates. In a town with so much rail traffic, I guess people have realized that you'd be running around the gates a lot, and that over time likens the chance of an accident.

I like how the news agency did on warning the public, instead of not laying blame. It's one thing to report of a crossing accident, it's another to give a nice warning about the dangers of crossings when warnings aren't heeded.

Railway Crossings are perfectly safe, if people heed the warnings, Stop, Look & Listen.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

I would think an experienced engineer wouldnt dump the brakes unless they actually did hit someone??
Patrick Welch

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Proto48Patrick wrote:I would think an experienced engineer wouldnt dump the brakes unless they actually did hit someone??
Even then you probably want to do a safe controlled stop. Last thing you want is poor train handling making a bad situation worse. Even when you have signals drop in your face, rules say to 'bring your train to a safe controlled stop'. Dumping it isn't a safe controlled stop.

Practice Safe CSX

Proto48Patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Proto48Patrick »

so that would mean just stopping the train. I wonder why the other trains went into emergency? eh, guess you had to be there huh. stupid kids.

CSX_CO wrote:
Proto48Patrick wrote:I would think an experienced engineer wouldnt dump the brakes unless they actually did hit someone??
Even then you probably want to do a safe controlled stop. Last thing you want is poor train handling making a bad situation worse. Even when you have signals drop in your face, rules say to 'bring your train to a safe controlled stop'. Dumping it isn't a safe controlled stop.

Practice Safe CSX
Patrick Welch

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

trains are bad and its all their fault, i advise the parents of those kids to sue the railroad when they get hit... :roll:
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Let 'em get hit.
Bottom text.

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

I have hit one vehicle but did not dump the air into emergency. I just brought it to an easy stop. It wouldn't have done any good, anyway.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

Wow.
Last edited by nssd70m-2 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by caboose9 »

Perhaps Tuesday will be a big day for train dodging? It's Darwin's birthday!

Roger
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

It would be sort of funny if they ended up getting hit by a car...
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Wow! They didn't much room for error there, did they? And its pretty easy to misjudge a train's exact speed when looking straight down the tracks at it. Thats gonna end badly and suddenly for someone...

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

It will only end Badly Once ! However a crew should not have to deal with such a incident, Should not be too hard for Police to get to the Root of this problem, Afterall there is an IP address for the upload of the Video....

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

You can bet the NS Police will be all over this and will be eager to grab these folks up and make an example of them. I would expect we will see some more on this in the next few days, especially after the publicity so far.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I think sweeping switches for the rest of the winter would be a fitting punishment.