Toledo Branch Stuff

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Toledo Branch Stuff

Unread post by cbehr91 »

*What originally was a thread about the defect detectors of the Toledo Branch has ended up turning into just a thread about the branch in general, which is perfectly fine with me. I have changed the title to accommodate this.*

I've heard North Trombley and Mortimer but not the others (North Trombley got changed back to Conrail and I have yet to get a recording of it). Supposedly Lime City still says Conrail too.

I thought I read on a previous thread that Kenton got replaced by D.D.s at 65 and 75 but I drove through Kenton last week and there still were two junction boxes and hot box detectors at the road crossing where the "old" Kenton detecor is (can't remember the street name, it's on the west side of town).

Anyone know the names or road numbers of the road crossings where the new detectors are, not that I have a chance in hell of actually catching a train there.

North Trombley's also the detector that dinged the 8888 (the runaway train from 2001) for dragging equipment.

P.S. - North Robinson on the CF&E still says Conrail as of last month.
Last edited by cbehr91 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Toledo Branch D.D.s

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

cbehr91 wrote:I've heard North Trombley and Mortimer but not the others (North Trombley got changed back to Conrail and I have yet to get a recording of it). Supposedly Lime City still says Conrail too.

I thought I read on a previous thread that Kenton got replaced by D.D.s at 65 and 75 but I drove through Kenton last week and there still were two junction boxes and hot box detectors at the road crossing where the "old" Kenton detecor is (can't remember the street name, it's on the west side of town).

Anyone know the names or road numbers of the road crossings where the new detectors are, not that I have a chance in hell of actually catching a train there.

North Trombley's also the detector that dinged the 8888 (the runaway train from 2001) for dragging equipment.

Martel on the Indy Line at Rt.100 west of Galion and Slick near Pole Lane Road east of Marion still said Conrail as of 1 month ago. I"m not sure about New Bloomington and Mt. Victory.

I have a detector CD I made from 1992-1999 and you are more than welcome to a copy if you wish. I can send you a list of detectors if you want a copy. By the way, I have most of the draggers that Conrail removed in 1992 in central Ohio, such as Shiloh, Vernon, Ceylon, etc. Glad to see someone else interested in detectors! There is one more I need to add to the CD because I accidentally left the Clintonville dragger on the Burt Line (MP 136) on my computer and never burned it on to the dang CD, but I'm fixing it.
Brett

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

bdconrail29 wrote:
cbehr91 wrote:I've heard North Trombley and Mortimer but not the others (North Trombley got changed back to Conrail and I have yet to get a recording of it). Supposedly Lime City still says Conrail too.

Martel and Slicks haven't said Conrail since about 2007. They actually try to say CSX but just get the "SX" off. New Bloomington is still a Conrail-style Speak & Spell with the Conrail blanked out. And Mt. Victory is the same as Martel and Slicks, it trys to say CSX but has trouble.
Last edited by cbehr91 on Mon May 31, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

bdconrail29 wrote:

Martel on the Indy Line at Rt.100 west of Galion and Slick near Pole Lane Road east of Marion still said Conrail as of 1 month ago. I"m not sure about New Bloomington and Mt. Victory.

I have a detector CD I made from 1992-1999 and you are more than welcome to a copy if you wish. I can send you a list of detectors if you want a copy. By the way, I have most of the draggers that Conrail removed in 1992 in central Ohio, such as Shiloh, Vernon, Ceylon, etc. Glad to see someone else interested in detectors! There is one more I need to add to the CD because I accidentally left the Clintonville dragger on the Burt Line (MP 136) on my computer and never burned it on to the dang CD, but I'm fixing it.
I would like a copy of that CD. PM me and we'll work something out.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

cbehr91 wrote: Anyone know the names or road numbers of the road crossings where the new detectors are, not that I have a chance in hell of actually catching a train there.
They removed the Kenton Detector and put a dectector on either side of Kenton. One is just south of the S/E Dunkirk. The other is near the intermediate between CP 74 and CP 78. One of them gives the ambient temperature too.

Practice Safe CSX

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Oh dang it that's right, they blanked out the "Conrail" part. I forgot about that.
Brett

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

I *think* the Lime City detector sounds like a Conrail detector, but says "CSX" at the beginning.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Lime City is truncated sayying neither CSX nor Conrail.

Loco_Engr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Loco_Engr »

Is Arlington (south of Findlay) still a Conrail detector?

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Loco_Engr wrote:Is Arlington (south of Findlay) still a Conrail detector?
The detector itself is but it's readout is not. Somebody in a previous thread said it got changed to CSX and gives out a milepost as its location.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

cbehr91 wrote:
Loco_Engr wrote:Is Arlington (south of Findlay) still a Conrail detector?
The detector itself is but it's readout is not. Somebody in a previous thread said it got changed to CSX and gives out a milepost as its location.
In other words CSX just changed the sound card.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

not Toledo Branch, but the St James detector on the burt line was changed out like three years ago. The detector near Arnold or Kileville north of Columbus still says Conrail
Exit stage left

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

redside20 wrote:not Toledo Branch, but the St James detector on the burt line was changed out like three years ago. The detector near Arnold or Kileville north of Columbus still says Conrail
I have evidence!

St. James has the really annoying woman's voice who you can't understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIqisFEHkrQ

Arnold got Conrail blanked out, not sure when but it's sounded the same for at least the past year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7IdilZG5gg

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

holy cow dude but that female voice in that St James dectector sounds lame. :roll: the best detector out there is north of fostoria where its programmed to say niner five .8. that is the funniest. Another detector i can't stand is the 251.7 at East Durand
Exit stage left

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

That's also how the Perrysburg detector announces it's location - One niner zero .5.
redside20 wrote: the best detector out there is north of fostoria where its programmed to say niner five .8. that is the funniest. Another detector i can't stand is the 251.7 at East Durand

Loco_Engr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Loco_Engr »

redside20 wrote:holy cow dude but that female voice in that St James dectector sounds lame. :roll: the best detector out there is north of fostoria where its programmed to say niner five .8. that is the funniest. Another detector i can't stand is the 251.7 at East Durand
Ah, yes, the detector at Risingsun! The detectors on the C&O seem to sound a lot better than the ones on other CSX lines. A few of them still give the ambient temperature as well.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

North Trombley got changed back to the old Conrail style transmission because the crew couldn't understand the female voice (typical female, can't figure out what they want). Plus there was a long pause while the detector figured out if you had defects or not. CSX Detector.....mile post XXXX............................................No Defects." Like she was trying to make up her mind.

I always made it a point to hit the 'niner' detectors at some variance of '9' to hear it say 'niner'. Be it in the axle count, or speed, hearing 'niner' always made me giggle.

Practice Safe CSX

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Man I miss the old CR voices.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

I remember the HBD at West Mansfield as well. I have several recordings of it. I also have a recording of STCO calling back the dragger at Mortimer. Wasn't Lime City the dragger at MP 8? Well me too, I miss the old CR detectors. I don't count the ones they changed in 1998. I miss the original recording sound.
Brett

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

bdconrail29 wrote:I remember the HBD at West Mansfield as well. I have several recordings of it. I also have a recording of STCO calling back the dragger at Mortimer. Wasn't Lime City the dragger at MP 8? Well me too, I miss the old CR detectors. I don't count the ones they changed in 1998. I miss the original recording sound.
West Mansfield's still a Speak & Spell with the Conrail blanked-out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UniOF88jhPQ

Apparently Lime City got "upgraded" in 1998 or 99 because my CSX timetable from 2004 says it's a hot box detector whereas my Conrail timetable from 1998 says it's just a dragger.

And Mortimer's fully CSXized, but not with the woman's voice.