NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by JoJames »

Van Wert is one that comes to mind wanting the big industry. Now they have a two mile long railroad to nowhere and the expense in building it.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Jeffersonville is has to be #1 or #2 when it comes to prime development locations. It's already set up for all major utilities plus waste water treatment. It's dead square in the middle of 2 Interstate highways: I-71 and US 35. It's 45 minutes from Cincinnati, Dayton and Columbus. It has a regional railroad in the I&O that physically connects to 3 Class 1s: CSX, NS and CN and there's no interchange restrictions for that part of the I&O. Throw on top of that via the CFE they connect to Chicago and every Class 1 other than KCS. On top of that you already have an intermodal facility and wye already built onto it. Still they can't get anyone to do anything but come kick the dirt and look around.... Don't hold your breath waiting on anything....

The State of Ohio poured over $8 million dollars into Bluegrass Farms logistic place. It shipped containers for maybe 16 months. It's now a store area for the I&O and Valero. There was over 200 empty tank cars and ddg hoppers sitting there last weekend waiting for Valero to need them.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

midland sub wrote:CSX_CO it's like a written echo here. Same stuff we said a year ago reverberating back now.....
"Second verse...same as the first! I'm the Peavine I am I am...."

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

We all wish and hope for a rail survival here in the states, BUT in the end all will come doom to abandonment & bike trails in 50 years.

There MIGHT be a rail service running east/west & north/south, in this country, but that will be it.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

I talked to a man today who works in the Portsmouth yard. I asked about the peavine and he said it was already sold off. I asked for scrap or another railroad and he said he wasn't sure yet. But for sure no longer N.S. Rail line

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

Interesting news! I wonder if he knows for sure or is just speculating? Can't see NS selling the entire line to the CCET as they don't have the cash or even want the entire line. Not sure if the State bought it yet nothing surprise's me about the State of Ohio. I don't see another rail company buying the Peavine but can see NS only leasing out the line or at least part of it not the east end. One would think if it was sold off it would be news worthy. Somebody would have it in the paper or on a forum page. Midland Sub may know something as he appears to have his ear to the ground.

Maybe Heypal or somebody else here has some inside scoop. Hope whoever has it continues to operate at the west part of the line up to the Ag.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Muleskinner wrote:We all wish and hope for a rail survival here in the states, BUT in the end all will come doom to abandonment & bike trails in 50 years.

There MIGHT be a rail service running east/west & north/south, in this country, but that will be it.
Yeah. All those hundreds of trains currently running will just be gone. We just won't need to ship anything anymore. Lol.
Brett

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

There would be some sort of STB filing if indeed it was true. There also would be some sort of press releases by the state if they were going to buy the line. Most of the time the employees know just as much as the rest of us or even less.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

The line hasn't sold just checked with my buddy who works for NS in KY. Peavine hasn't been put up for bid yet. Looks like it will in May. Meanwhile he said the west end is safe for the present time. East end is done as far as NS is concerned. A few other discontinued rails that NS controls in Ohio are also set to be sold. He told me that NS is changing the way they do business. They will now concentrate on longer trains on there main tracks Class A getting out of short hauls. They can lease hauls to short rails so they can stay focused on longer hauls. Since oil and coal shipments are down NS is now concentrating on double stacks, gain, trailer hauls. WV rails are slowed down considerably they are now cutting down on routes and hauling longer trains. This means less crews, cutting back on yard employees and full time workers.

Boy NS is only looking at the bottom line to keep shareholders happy, Talking about Shareholders I received a email from my guy from UBS today. Link was several pages from NS on how the new CEO is going to change the company going forward. Interesting read!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

So if it's not the owners best interests that a company has mind mind, what should it be? I was under the impression a business was in business to make money for the owners?

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

It is the best interest of the company to make money and look good on the bottom line. Yet NS is making some drastic moves and maybe they are not making them in the best interest of the company long term. Short term save the ship, hold off all the speculation on a hostile takeover bid by CP. I can see that but long term closing down lines that selling them off when maybe one day they may need them again is not very smart.

I'm watching other forum boards with members talking about CP, UP, CSX, and BNSF and I don't see them making radical changes in venue the way NS is doing now. Being a shareholder I have never received a email like I did yesterday from NS. I own plenty of stock and a matter of fact I have never had a email from any of them like the one I had yesterday. Companies that have had hostile take over bids, sales that dropped big time even GE and all the issues they have had never sent out a company status email. Makes one wonder how bad NS is feeling the pressure of lost revenue of coal and oil shipments.

Sure the company is supposed to keep the shareholders happy try to point them in the right direction. I have seen the stock price drop in the last six months from 130 to 67 and now its time to buy more as I have done very well with NS. With all the cuts, consolidation, closings, it just makes one wonder what is going on with that company and is there more to the story. We shall see going forward in the next year. Surely oil shipments will pick up in another year and the same with coal. NS will be back strong when this happens...I hope.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

It'a that gibberish they released back on Jan 27th. Basically we screwed up by letting consultants sell us on how to run a railroad while Wick and the rest of his merry group of worthless foamer executives were busy playing with the company as a scale 1:1 model railroad. Squires and the rest of his shills should be shoved out the door. Not replaced by EHH or Ackman by any stretch but by people fully aware of the economy, the traffic base and hopefully knowledge of how a railroad actually works. It's not easy by any stretch to run any company the size of NS.

Interesting that Moorman's legacy will only shine bright in the railfan world and rags like Trains. The business world will look at the state of the company he left it in and the drastic cuts that soon followed.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

Where's L Stanley Crane we you need him. Ken 8)

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

bdconrail29 wrote:
Muleskinner wrote:We all wish and hope for a rail survival here in the states, BUT in the end all will come doom to abandonment & bike trails in 50 years.

Yeah. All those hundreds of trains currently running will just be gone. We just won't need to ship anything anymore. Lol.
yeah, all those hundreds of trains will be sitting in rail yards waiting to be scrapped. There are other ways of shipping besides rail I hate to say.

The rail company that's out to run a business and not line their higher ups pockets with money and greed, will survive.

NS will not survive. They will choke them selves out with no where to expand when business picks up .... if it does.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Muleskinner wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:

yeah, all those hundreds of trains will be sitting in rail yards waiting to be scrapped. There are other ways of shipping besides rail I hate to say.

The rail company that's out to run a business and not line their higher ups pockets with money and greed, will survive.

NS will not survive. They will choke them selves out with no where to expand when business picks up .... if it does.
Oh good! I LOVE the lake shore of Lake Erie. I can't wait to bike along the old vacation district after the Chicago Line is torn out and made rails to trails.
Brett

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Heard from a group of NS guys they don't want to rip the rails up. NS wants a short rail to haul on the line according to what they said that's why it's not gone yet. They said they high rail it.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Humor me and CSX_CO. For what traffic.....?

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Just figured I'd put that up for all you know it alls to see what you would say.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Paw95 wrote:Just figured I'd put that up for all you know it alls to see what you would say.
Oh come on! CP is definitely going to take over NS. FOR SURE! I just know it!
Brett

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

You never know. Time will tell