NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by northstar16 »

AS I have been studying all the comments on this and other boards it appears that NS may be making a mistake abandoning many railroad tracks here in Ohio and in other states. When a line is abandon and the rails are pulled they most likely will never be put down again. If in fact a major company is built on property that the railroad tracks were years ago that is one customer which could be big the rail line misses out on. I'm not sure why NS is all of the sudden selling off lines. The Peavine as I see it connects to Portsmouth. I understand that the track cannot support double stacks and is rather hilly with some curves. Still the line can be used for smaller loads and getting them off on the main line. My buddy lives up in Belleview and NS considers this yard to be first class way above any yard in Ohio. He tells me you would not believe the wait times that NS has putting these trains in the yard. Sometimes they sit for hours before they can get in. Why not use the Peavine and put smaller trains on that line to bypass Belleview. Maybe I'm missing something here! Ohiopower has a valid point NS is pulling rails creating a very big hole in their transportation rails in Ohio and In the WV secondary. They best be careful not to spread themselves too thin. When rail transportation picks up they may need these rails that are abandon. The Peavine might be out of the equation for NS as I don't think they really want it anymore. How about CSX would they want to gamble on the Peavine? They have plenty of capital to fix the Vera Bridge. The I&O Midland Sub said they won't be interested in the Peavine but to me it appears they would be the best bet. The G&W runs on the Oasis line not far from the Clare junction maybe they have interest. I just tossing some ideas out there if the CET doesn't get or want the deal with the lease that will be up next year.

I guess it will be what NS decides. Hell they may not want to even deal with the Sharon Yard to Clare transportation anymore if there isn't enough money provided by the Ag and the paper company running out of the old Ford plant. It will be interesting yet pulling lines for scrap isn't the answer. I will cost NS more money to pull lines than they will make on scrap. What do I know I just a retired guy who likes railfanning. I was up past Loveland the other day saw the I&O. It appears they don't run very fast on the rails up there maybe 15 to 20 mph and the tracks well they don't look all that good as well. Has the I&O put any money in that track system since they had it? Did they buy that line or is it leased?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Lots to pick thru respond back but just not enough time at the moment.

Let suggest a couple of books for you and others too. Jerry Taylor's A Sampling of Penn Central and Rush Loving's The Men Who Loved Trains. Both together will give in black white truth how the rail industry in Ohio got to where we are today.

As for the I&O and the Midland. G&W has put maybe $5 million into it in the last 12 months or so. I presume you saw the crossing in Loveland they just recently replaced that looks a bit rough still. There's no need for them the be more than 25 mph on the line. There's a decent grade just west of Loveland that slows things down.

I'm going to presume you're fairly new to this part of the hobby. CSX has their own line across the Ohio River that Amtrak uses along with a handful now CSX freight trains.

It won't cost NS much of anything to abandon the line over than the cost of the rail trains they would use to pull up the rails. Everything else will go out to bid to salvage contractors to remove what's left.

What's gone on with the Peavine and now the WV Secondary makes good business sense and I'll explain that later tonight.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

northstar16 wrote: What do I know I just a retired guy who likes railfanning.
That's alright Northstar16, I've been a Railfan/Foamer for 52 years and its still an enjoyable hobby to me even if I don't know it all, Ken 8)

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the info. Yes I love to railfan but I don't work for or with the railroad. I love watching trains since I was a kid. When I was a young kid I would see several trains along the Loveland tracks and that was a busy area back then. The Peavine as well was a busy line with several trains per day even a passenger train here and there. Then the Penn line that ran up to Terrace Park and beyond. Now it looks like the Peavine is ending or maybe a short rail might be running the track to the Ag and back for another year then well maybe the entire line will close. That will be up to NS,

Very sad I would say that NS is closing lines down in Ohio and putting their focus on the main lines where traffic is at a stand still. At least the I&O are still using the tracks from Oakley up north a good thing and they have some customers along the line. So what I was getting at in a long about way does the I&O lease that track or do they own the rights to the track from Oakley and northward and beyond? I see they are the only one on it never see any other power there.

After I graduated from high school I took the passenger train up the Peavine. I must say back then everything up east wasn't developed pretty much country and the view up there in the fall was very impressive. I remember it like it was yesterday. I hate to see the line close down. I can't say I'm a fommer as you call it but mainly a historical nut that hates to see rails get abandoned.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

As further evidence of the bipolar issues at NS management now... NS is down to a total of 6 people qualified to run from Sharonville to Clare. Lake Div wants to dump it off to CCET. Marketing will not let it happen. Afraid that CCET will then interchange with I&O and CSX.... But then Marketing just raised rates for Huhtamki and Winchester Ag.

Sounds like CCET will end up leasing the line up to Plum Run and maybe a half mile or so east of there. That will let them reach the stone quarry for whatever they seem to be working on with Evan and will give them more storage capacity. Everything east of there of Vera is dead to NS. They plan on filing to abandon the line at some point in 2016.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

I'll sum it up in 7 letters for the Peavine ..... NS sucks! :roll:

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Muleskinner wrote:I'll sum it up in 7 letters for the Peavine ..... NS sucks! :roll:
That's only 5 letters.
Brett

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

bdconrail29 wrote:
Muleskinner wrote:I'll sum it up in 7 letters for the Peavine ..... NS sucks! :roll:
That's only 5 letters.
I'm including "NS"

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Muleskinner wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:
That's only 5 letters.
I'm including "NS"
N
S
U
C
K

Only 5. The S is repeated 3 times. But, he's making a joke....

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Well at least the CCET can stay on the line if NS gives them the lease. That is good news. Here is what I heard today from a buddy of mine that is close the "Blasting" in Anderson. That is all tied up in courts waiting for more decisions as Newtown, Terrace Park, Mariemont and Indian Hill don't want the MM blasting going on with noise, dust, and more dump truck traffic. So the fix would be simple and easy. As the roads are in bad shape with more and more trucks on the road (ie) Evans and the gravel pits up there on Round Bottom the State and the attorneys are trying to get Martin Marietta to transport any extractions by rail. Not sure if the CCET knows about that yet as this is in early talks. For the CCET this could be a big deal as MM will be blasting five days a week. The property is just right of the CCET staging area now the only dump that has been closed for years. The blasting area is behind the dump west.

As far a opening the line up more to the east that would be good for the stone deal and car storage as with the slow down in rail traffic more and more cars are empty with no home. Plenty of room out east on the Peavine. You hit it Vera is done just a matter of time before a crew comes out there and pulls the line unless the State can save the line.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Midland Sub it appears you are in the know about the Peavine. You must be getting some good inside information or work for the railroad. Either way it is good that NS is going to give the CET another shot at the lease.

Now what about CSX can they or will they be allowed to buy the Peavine if they want to when it goes up for sale. Since there are customers on the line now can't they bid on the line as well? In perspective CSX can fix the crossing, have more capital to work out the bugs on the signals and operate the line a few times per week and haul the Ag cars back to their own yard instead of Sharonville. Would NS even give them a shot to take over the line? Would CSX even be interested? I know CSX much like UP, CP and NS want to run on main lines don't really want to mess around with short hauls unless the money is there. I wonder what the net revenue take is on the Peavine after the CCET gets their cut? This would mark if it is worth having a main rail company take over a line that is ready to be abandon.

Meanwhile reading the Indiana forum it appears that many just built cars need storage. How many well it sounds like a few thousand that NS has under contract and no place to go with them. If the CCET is seeing this they can set as many as they can on their siding along the Peavine.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

northstar16 wrote:Now what about CSX can they or will they be allowed to buy the Peavine if they want to when it goes up for sale. Since there are customers on the line now can't they bid on the line as well? In perspective CSX can fix the crossing, have more capital to work out the bugs on the signals and operate the line a few times per week and haul the Ag cars back to their own yard instead of Sharonville. Would NS even give them a shot to take over the line? Would CSX even be interested?
Northstar, CSX has a parallel line right across the river, so I wouldn't hold my breath on them buying it. As far as the state taking it over I again wouldn't hold my breath. Ken 8)

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Again the perceived value of the line is being severely over estimated. What need would CSX ever have to go to Portsmouth? It's been out of service for a decade plus - and not missed.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

It's the same reason CCET will never get to Portsmouth. Once you get there now what? NS has absolutely no desire to open Vera up as an interchange nor will they allow it. If it gets to point where NS truly decides to do something with Plum Run to Vera, it will be a huge waste of tax payer money if the state buys it. Plum Run to Vera is one hollar after another with nowhere to build industry. Especially since there's tons of available land along NS in the Portsmouth area.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Glad to see the old MAW moved south to southern Ohio. One if the downfalls to storage cars...,,

http://youtu.be/ttSWqk4ajyY

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

When they start pulling up the tracks and dismantling the railroad crossing signals, how can I go and purchase one of those signals???

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

Muleskinner wrote:When they start pulling up the tracks and dismantling the railroad crossing signals, how can I go and purchase one of those signals???
Back in the old days I'd find the Forman of the scraping crew and ask him how much cash for one. Probably wouldn't work today though. Ken 8)

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Before you guys start giving high fives to your buddies who can't wait to kill the Peavine what happen to the hi railer that was supposed to go up east on the Peavine last Wednesday? There was no hi-railer on the track. Somebody got some wrong info.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Who says it hasn't happened? NS already placed a value on the line when they filed the discontinuance last year. All A&K is going to do is place a salvage value for themselves when they bid to scrap what's left after NS removes the rail.