Rj Corman Western Ohio Lines ST Marys, SPEG, Greenville

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Rj Corman Western Ohio Lines ST Marys, SPEG, Greenville

Unread post by CG Tower »

Actually CSX power leads to Elgin and then leads back...Corman uses its power to switch and load the train.

CG
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

howeld
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by howeld »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Corman will have cars stored on the line again this winter. There is about 130 GCPX hoppers in the south Lima yard. I was out by Ft Recovery recently and the line was empty so I am positive these are inbound.

How many cuts of cars were in the yard? I passed over the yard today and there were two cuts of coal hoppers. I didnt count them but I would guess that each cut had around 40 cars so perhaps RjC has taken one cut to storage already?

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

There was 2 cuts, one almost the length of the yard and another half length. Previously when I've seen them move these trains into storage they'll have an engine on each end both providing power to move the entire block of cars. Since GP16s aren't DPU capable they require an engineer in both locomotives. I heard the yard office talking to them on Monday telling the crew they had to run Greenville today so hopefully they will drag and then shove then out tomorrow morning.

howeld
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by howeld »

I didnt think anything had been through Celina this week as the rails have a bit of rust on them and i didnt hear anything on Monday (but with the wind i could have missed it)
Just didn't look like 130 cars but Inonly got a quick look.

Appricatie any heads up on this move. It is about the only chance to see a long train in Celina. I've managed to catch the moves in the past by pure luck.

howeld
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by howeld »

Unless they went though when i picked up my kids from school they didn't go though celina yesterday. And my wife hasn't heard any trains yet today. I put her on alert to watch for any trains.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

howeld wrote:Unless they went though when i picked up my kids from school they didn't go though celina yesterday. And my wife hasn't heard any trains yet today. I put her on alert to watch for any trains.
They were in Lima this morning and told the yard office they would be delivering 3 lumber cars to Coldwater eta 5pm. Also 2 coil cars for Precision Strip, many gons for Omni and a few Potash Corp cars for Helena Ag.

howeld
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by howeld »

Wife hears a train in Celina at 4:40pm.

Switching the plastics plant on east side of town.

howeld
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by howeld »

Corman ran though Celina today about 4:30pm from Coldwater to the shops.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

1731 working St Marys Omnisource. Looks to be 2 pellet cars and a ton of scrap gons. They Omni has so many ordered that Corman had to put about a dozen in the Trupoint spur.

Also 2 Corman hi railers and a Sperry truck working between the distribution center and Celina

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Made my rounds today to see what business is like on the St Marys line. 1 tank car a Helena chemical. Haven't seen tanks for them since 2013 so glad they still are receiving. Omni has a ton of cars like normal. Trupoint Sr Marys didn't have a tracmobil all summer and now its back. Odd for a site that supposedly doesn't use rail to still maintain one. 3 coil cars on the west leg of the wye, I think these are loads since when they bring empties back north they leave them on the east led til Lima is ready for them.

Also there is no coal cars stored anywhere on the line and no evidence of them having been west of HC in over a year. I'm thinking the unit train that was spotted in Lima back in November was misrouted.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Hey vanwerty have you seen the old Keith's Railroad DVD #165? It shows Corman switching at Minister switching and a really odd high-wide DODX move with NS when they still ran to the western end of the line and interchanged with NS there. Lot's of other stuff all over western Ohio from I believe 1993 to maybe 1995 or so.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub wrote:Hey vanwerty have you seen the old Keith's Railroad DVD #165? It shows Corman switching at Minister switching and a really odd high-wide DODX move with NS when they still ran to the western end of the line and interchanged with NS there. Lot's of other stuff all over western Ohio from I believe 1993 to maybe 1995 or so.
No I haven't seen it but I wasn't aware of it. I'll make sure to get a copy. I have his catalog around here somewhere.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I was noticing that on a huge chunk of RJ Corman trains (on their various lines), they seem to prefer having a loco on each end of the train. Is this pretty much standard for most all their trains/lines?
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

ABB1501
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ABB1501 »

alittlevanwerty wrote:In the summer they generally start their day out at Lima having left the locomotives there overnight but once its freezing the engines sleep in the shop. Make them easier to find, either they're out or not!
I'm not familiar with their operations in Dover, but on the Cleveland line they only use them on the head end when they come up to Clinton to interchange with CSX.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

They don't have a place to run around their train west of St Marys plus they have spurs with switches in both directions so it makes best sense to run with a unit on each end (W O Line). Plus sometimes they will put a loco in the middle and divide their train at St Marys. One will go to Celina to work. When done the crew takes a company truck back and runs the second half to St Marys.

A train went to Minster today but didnt take the coil cars off the wye. They had a few in Lima this morning so maybe those were higher priority.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well I have terrible luck with these minster runs. Yesterday after I went through they came back from Lima with a TTX flat car loaded with steel plates and pulled the 3 coil cars off the wye. 1731 is idling outside Precusion Strip with out a crew.

howeld
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by howeld »

I hear Rj Corman making a run into Celina at 9am. Not to often they come to town on Saturday.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

howeld wrote:I hear Rj Corman making a run into Celina at 9am. Not to often they come to town on Saturday.
I saw the tracks and went looking! Too bad they were going back west and I east. We drove as far as Helena chemical where we saw 7 loaded tanks on the spur.