New diamonds for Galatea

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New diamonds for Galatea

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Deshler has a new set awaiting installation too. Hamler was supposed to get an "OWLS" set a couple years ago, but I believe that got cut out of that years budget.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Wow, this sure is the year of new diamonds...
Durand
Galatea
Fostoria NS/Willard Sub
Deshler
Attica
Lansing (I think)

And probably more than that.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Hamler was supposed to get an "OWLS" set a couple years ago, but I believe that got cut out of that years budget.
Wow I would have not guessed that. What is the speed for the I&O across Hamler? I would have guessed higher then 10 MPH.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Shelby also has new pieces for the diamond there with the ASRY. However, this is not a normal diamond. The Big 4 doesn't have a break in the rail and the ASRY flanges go up on ramps. They are replacing them though.
Brett

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

If anyone gets a date when the diamonds at Galatea, Deshler, Attica etc are supposed to go in, please post. Wondering if this will affect the June 12-13 meet in Fostoria/Deshler.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

railroadfan wrote:If anyone gets a date when the diamonds at Galatea, Deshler, Attica etc are supposed to go in, please post. Wondering if this will affect the June 12-13 meet in Fostoria/Deshler.
If the installation date would happen to affect the meet, would we be able to move the date of the meet?
Bottom text.

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Shorthaul »

Y@ wrote: If the installation date would happen to affect the meet, would we be able to move the date of the meet?
Wouldn't it be easier just to change the location to Oak Harbor or something? Or do meets like this require the location to be determined well in advance for planning puropses?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Well have to leave it up to Zack, but I dont know for sure where you would go on the NS other then the park in Swanton, that is public acess. I suggest Swanton for something like that to keep it on the east side or our area, as I would guess there will be a west meet later this year. Also some people have already renter hotel rooms.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I'd guess that it's highly unlikely of any MOW work on Saturday for these diamonds, so the meet should be fine. If Sunday is the install date, I'd think we'd head north from Deshler to Swanton, or down to Marion.. we'll just leave it as it is, and should something come up that date, we'll make alternate arrangements.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

It will probably be on a Monday.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

dti407 wrote:It will probably be on a Monday.
I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I was kind of wondering if they would replace any of them today with the traffic being down somewhat anyway.
Bottom text.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

bnsfben wrote:Wow, this sure is the year of new diamonds...
Durand
Galatea
Fostoria NS/Willard Sub
Deshler
Attica
Lansing (I think)

And probably more than that.
You can add Marion, OH to the list. There are new diamonds going in on the NS/CSX Indy Line diamonds.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
Hamler was supposed to get an "OWLS" set a couple years ago, but I believe that got cut out of that years budget.
Wow I would have not guessed that. What is the speed for the I&O across Hamler? I would have guessed higher then 10 MPH.
Won't be after the OWLS set gets installed! OWLS are for locations where one line sees a considerably higher amount of traffic than the crossing line. Hamler is a great location for one, as the B&O pounds the snot out of the diamonds, and the I&O has a trickle of traffic. There would be little impact on the I&O operations if they had to go 10 mph across the B&O, meanwhile the B&O eliminates a 40 mph slow order, saves fuel from accelerating up and down, and increases velocity through there.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

I did some asking about the Hamler situation, and found that Hamler was in line for a diamond replacement because of wear issues, but it was discovered that the wrong grade material was used in some of the components so the manufacturer replaced them. However this was discovered after new diamonds were ordered so CSX ended up with the correct parts for the in service diamond and new diamonds - so they're set for quite a while. Apparently OWLs diamonds were suggested - but I&O balked at the idea of being restricted to 10 MPH and since they share the costs on the diamond for track one (track 2 is 100% CSX since it was put back as part of the B&O upgrade for the Conrail split) they get a say in the issue.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

meanwhile the B&O eliminates a 40 mph slow order
Have not yet rased the one in Walkerton yet, how long has that been there. I hear the proposal has bent sent to Jville, but they wont sign off on the 60 MPH.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
meanwhile the B&O eliminates a 40 mph slow order
Have not yet rased the one in Walkerton yet, how long has that been there. I hear the proposal has bent sent to Jville, but they wont sign off on the 60 MPH.
Well, is Walkerton 40 mph for only the diamond or a city ordiance too? I know Defiance has a 40 mph city ordiance through the town. Lifting those requires working with the town to meet their demands to allow the higher speed. They worked with Jamestown, IN to lift a city imposed 35 mph through town, and trains are allowed 49 now (dark territory). NS and CSX are working with Muncie to raise the city imposed 40 mph. Mostly involves improving crossing protection, and closing a few crossings. Not that either will stop people in Muncie from running the gates.

Practice Safe CSX

JTNikon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JTNikon »

Any news on when the new diamonds are to go in at Deshler ? This week or weekend ?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

As far as I can tell or know, its just for the diamond. Signs are only a couple hundred feet apart.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

They're not going to replace any diamonds on any weekend. They do this on light traffic days, and in my 20 years of railfanning, has almost always been on a Monday.
Brett