Richmond, Romeo & Rochester (RR&R)

Sub forum for Paper Railroads
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Richmond, Romeo & Rochester (RR&R)

Unread post by AARR »

Updated 3/7/21

Richmond, Romeo & Rochester 1999

Tracks starts at Lenox Jct. in Richmond and extends to Auburn Hills just east of I-75 (approximately 32 miles)

Uses ex-GTW SW1200RS 1514, ex-GTW GP9 4428 and GP38ac 5808 (GTW 1776 bicentennial colors).

Interchanges with CN in Richmond

Operations is daily Romeo to Richmond and 1x per week Romeo to Auburn Hills

Engine house in Romeo

Serves customers beginning with:
Richmond - former Lapeer Coop, United Agricultural Products and now Star of the West: 12-15 inbound fertilizer cars per year

Romeo - (Ford Engine plant closed 2020. Currently looking for another tenant)
- 2-3 inbound cars a week of acids and cutting oils
- 3-5 outbound cars a week of scrap baled aluminum cubes
- 3-5 outbound box cars (60' 100 ton) per weekday of engines

Romeo - Allwood Building Components: Receives 1-3 carloads of lumber per month.

Washington - Capitol Fertilizer: Receives 55-70 cars of fertilizer and 22-33 cars of salt per year (spur unloads 3 cars)

Rochester - (former Wickes & United Building Supply now Acme Building Materials): Receives 4-6 carloads per year of roofing shingles

Auburn Hills - Church's Wholesale: Receives 1-3 carloads of lumber per month.

Auburn Hills - At the very end of the line Peninsula Plastics transloads plastic pellets. They built a rather lengthy unloading system (similar to what Precision Poly in Grand Rapids has). They receive several cars every other week.

New business opportunities are scarce. Star of the West could ship out beans (single carloads) and small blocks of grain (3-5 cars). Possible small truss builder in Richmond. Small feed mill in Armada. Industrial Park in Romeo but all small prospects. A couple small plastic plants between Rochester and Auburn Hills.

We keep trying to persuade National Asphalt Production in Shelby Twp. to transload it's limestone in our Romeo Yard. This would amount to 3500 carloads a year. But they continue to receive it from a boat dock in Marysville (near Port Huron) for now.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Richmond, Romeo & Rochester

Unread post by AARR »

TRS Components relocated to an old plant in Romeo (north of the former Wickes lumber yard). Another potential but small customer.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Richmond, Romeo & Rochester (RR&R)

Unread post by AARR »

Good news...Allwood Building Components in Richmond and TRS in Romeo are merging and will consolidate its operations at TRS Romeo site due to larger property. A short one car spur will be built on their property. They expect to receive 1-3 cars per month. They will be switched by my M-F Romeo-Richmond job. ABC/TRS is located south of Romeo while my yard is north/east so their cars will have to be pushed about 1-2 miles.

Theuts, a local ready-mix company with 5-6 locations, has indicated some interest in establishing an aggregate distribution location next to my Romeo Yard where some land recently was put up for sale. The land is already zoned commercial and is not in close proximity to residential, so it looks favorable at this point. We are checking with several pits and origin/connecting railroads for viability. This would be a nice new customer adding over a thousand carloads per construction year.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Late notice: Since the Ford Engine Plant closed at the end of 2020 service has been once a week. The job starts in Romeo, works to Richmond and picks up, works to the end of the line in Auburn Hills, back to Richmond to set out, then returns to Romeo to tie down. If all the customers require switching it might take two days to complete the round trip.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There is a strong possibility a company that manufacturers roofing shingles from recycled plastic is looking at the ex-Ford Romeo Engine plant. Stay tuned.....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

After 25 years of on again off again discussions the possibility of a stone transload coming to Romeo is very real.....Stay tuned.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Here is the back story to the possible stone traffic. Theut's is a local aggregate, brick, concrete, etc. company with five locations in Macomb and St. Clair Counties. They are interested in establishing their own stone yard for distribution to their plants as well as others. The pit in Wallace, MI (west of Pigeon) is interested. HESR is interested in hauling the stone to either Saginaw (LSRC) or Durand (CN). CN is not interested in the traffic (60-90 15-car blocks per year). CSX is interested but is not sure if they want to add 15 car blocks to their existing trains between Flint and Port Huron (CN trackage rights) or a dedicated 50 car block (18-27 of them). Once the cars get to Port Huron, CN has even less than 0 interest in taking the cars to Richmond where RR&R interchanges with them (RR&R's only outside connection). So RR&R will exercise a clause in the Sale Agreement, that was made at the time of sale which CN agreed to just to get ride of the line, to use trackage rights on CN to Port Huron and directly interchange with CSX, that has never been used in the 25 years of RR&R's operation. CN will not be happy and it could lead to a legal battle.

RR&R's GP9 and GP38ac can easily handle 15 car blocks between Richmond and Port Huron on CN's Mt. Clemens Sub (17 miles). The SW1200, even though it was built for road service with flexcoil trucks, is not suitable for road service on a class 1 railroad because it is 62 years old and has not been overhauled/upgraded ever in its existence. If CSX decides on the 50 car block option RR&R will have to evaluate RR&R may have to look into adding a 3rd road freight unit (possibly a CN ex-GTW GP9r).

Theut's will go with a simple unloading operation digging a pit under the south passing siding in Romeo Yard, lining it with concrete and using a conveyor and front end loader to move the stone around. They are talking about starting by June. The property is for sale and zoned industrial and it won't take them much effort to prep.

We will have to see how it plays out.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

AARR wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:13 pm
...If CSX decides on the 50 car block option RR&R will have to evaluate RR&R may have to look into adding a 3rd road freight unit (possibly a CN ex-GTW GP9r).
Or the RR&R could go to CSX and buy a slugset! CSX has most of their slugs in storage which will probably never move again, so they'd be dirt cheap :lol:
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for the suggestion, David. I like your idea. A slug would match nicely with the GP38ac.
David Collins wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:10 pm
AARR wrote:
...If CSX decides on the 50 car block option RR&R will have to evaluate RR&R may have to look into adding a 3rd road freight unit (possibly a CN ex-GTW GP9r).
Or the RR&R could go to CSX and buy a slugset! CSX has most of their slugs in storage which will probably never move again, so they'd be dirt cheap :lol:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Here is some more data:

Based on tonnage ratings the GP9 and 38ac can handle a 50 car loaded stone train just fine on CN's Mt. Clemens Sub between Richmond and Port Huron (17 miles). However, a 9 and 38ac do not generate enough power to pull it on RR&R's Romeo Sub from Richmond to Romeo (13 miles). A 3rd unit will be needed.

The speed limit on CN's Mt. Clemens Sub is 45 mph. The speed limit on RR&R's Romeo sub is 10 mph. So a slug will provide the necessary traction effort on RR&R's slow segment but cut out on CN's faster segment.

If the stone contract is accepted and it arrives in 50 car blocks, a SLUG looks like a great fit for this movement.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It was announced Certain Teed (has a vinyl siding plant in Jackson, MI and drop-ceiling tile plant in L'Anse, MI) is the company looking at the former Ford Engine plant.

Manufacturing roof shingles from recycled plastic is a relatively new product. Asphalt and fiberglass shingles are proven to last 25 years. Recycled plastic shingles are specified to last 50 but those are based on simulated test studies. Also, they cost significantly more than asphalt/fiberglass shingles. However, with the push toward going "green" consumers are willing to spend more thinking they are "saving the planet". So with MI's middle to left political climate CT is confident that investing in this plant is a good venture. It will be the first of its kind in the mid-west.

The plant will rely heavily on rail service for some inbound raw materials (adhesives, roofing granules and virgin plastic pellets) and outbound shingle packages (which are heavy and can maximize a box cars capacity and load limit).

All recycled plastic and chipped-rubber will arrive by truck from local sources.
AARR wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:24 pm
There is a strong possibility a company that manufacturers roofing shingles from recycled plastic is looking at the ex-Ford Romeo Engine plant. Stay tuned.....

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Shortly after Ford closed its engine plant at the end of 2020, GP38ac 1776 (GTW bicentennial colors) was transferred to Mt. Clemens and Selfridge (MC&S) to assist with excursion trains and occasional freight traffic. 1776 is used occasionally at MC&S July 4th, Memorial Day, air show and special events.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

One of the ways RR&R is earning revenue is storing cars in Romeo Yard. Romeo Yard is comprised of five tracks of which three can be used for storage. Because if its close proximity to Sarnia's chemical and petrol refineries, RR&R is used to both stage empties and loads (SIT) until they are needed by CN for distribution across North America. RR&R offers 24 hour turnaround time.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

As one of the few stockholders in the RR&RRR, I'm happy to see my investment is finally turning a profit.....on paper anyways :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

:lol:
Michael wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:01 pm
As one of the few stockholders in the RR&RRR, I'm happy to see my investment is finally turning a profit.....on paper anyways :)

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Here is the back story to the possible stone traffic. Theut's is a local aggregate, brick, concrete, etc. company with five locations in Macomb and St. Clair Counties. They are interested in establishing their own stone yard for distribution to their plants as well as others. The pit in Wallace, MI (west of Pigeon) is interested. HESR is interested in hauling the stone to either Saginaw (LSRC) or Durand (CN). CN is not interested in the traffic (60-90 15-car blocks per year). CSX is interested but is not sure if they want to add 15 car blocks to their existing trains between Flint and Port Huron (CN trackage rights) or a dedicated 50 car block (18-27 of them). Once the cars get to Port Huron, CN has even less than 0 interest in taking the cars to Richmond where RR&R interchanges with them (RR&R's only outside connection). So RR&R will exercise a clause in the Sale Agreement, that was made at the time of sale which CN agreed to just to get ride of the line, to use trackage rights on CN to Port Huron and directly interchange with CSX, that has never been used in the 25 years of RR&R's operation. CN will not be happy and it could lead to a legal battle.

RR&R's GP9 and GP38ac can easily handle 15 car blocks between Richmond and Port Huron on CN's Mt. Clemens Sub (17 miles). The SW1200, even though it was built for road service with flexcoil trucks, is not suitable for road service on a class 1 railroad because it is 62 years old and has not been overhauled/upgraded ever in its existence. If CSX decides on the 50 car block option RR&R will have to evaluate RR&R may have to look into adding a 3rd road freight unit (possibly a CN ex-GTW GP9r).

Theut's will go with a simple unloading operation digging a pit under the south passing siding in Romeo Yard, lining it with concrete and using a conveyor and front end loader to move the stone around. They are talking about starting by June. The property is for sale and zoned industrial and it won't take them much effort to prep.

We will have to see how it plays out.
Definitely sounds like the RR & R may be in need of additional power. Recently Lighthouse Logistics owner of the Beachwood Central Terminal (ex CSX Ottawa Beach branch) my unpublished paper railroad was looking for power. In our search I recalled seeing an ex CSX EMD GP 40-2 mother/slug combination for lease/sale which could be a perfect fit for your operation.
The website for more information can be found @ manchinio.com

Ex CSX GP40-2 #6452 /Slug #2209
Attachments
6EAD5F89-B00D-4ABD-8148-D756734B6999.jpeg

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you! I appreciate the information.
GR H & C wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:00 pm
Definitely sounds like the RR & R may be in need of additional power. Recently Lighthouse Logistics owner of the Beachwood Central Terminal (ex CSX Ottawa Beach branch) my unpublished paper railroad was looking for power. In our search I recalled seeing an ex CSX EMD GP 40-2 mother/slug combination for lease/sale which could be a perfect fit for your operation.
The website for more information can be found @ manchinio.com

Ex CSX GP40-2 #6452 /Slug #2209

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Engine Roster:

Owner: Richmond, Romeo & Rochester
Model: EMD SW1200RS Built As: GTW 1514 (SW1200)
Serial Number: 25746
Order No: 4437
Frame Number: 4437-4 Built: 3/1960
Notes: Acquired 1999
Other locos with this serial: RR&R 1514 (SW1200RS) GTW 1514(SW1200RS)

Owner: Richmond, Romeo & Rochester
Model: EMD GP9 Built As: GTW 1752 (GP9)
Serial Number: 19666 Order No: 5343
Frame Number: 5343-2 Built: 8/1954
Notes: Acquired from GTW/CN 1997
Other locos with this serial: RR&R 4428 (GP9) GTW 4428(GP9)

Owner: Richmond, Romeo & Rochester 1776
Model: EMD GP38AC Built As: GTW 5808 (GP38AC)
Serial Number: 37937 Order No: 7333
Frame Number: 7333-9 Built: 11/1971
Notes: Acquired from GTW/CN 2002
Other locos with this serial: RR&R 1776(GP38ac) GTW 1776(GP38AC) GTW 5808(GP38AC)

In other news Theut Products Stone Yard is on hold. As mentioned previously, CN does not want to handle the stone business and is contesting the trackage rights agreement with RR&R from Richmond to Port Huron. They are citing that since RR&R has not used the trackage rights in 25 years that it should be renegotiated to take into account CN new traffic patterns on the Mt. Clemens Sub. The difference they are referring to is there are two locals on the MC Sub in 2022 rather than one in 1997. There are actually two less road freights on the MC Sub (4 vs 6) than 25 years ago. But CN is saying the extra local is the issue because in 1997 it originated in Detroit and only went as far as Richmond (it usually didn't go past Chesterfield) whereas now it originates in Port Huron and goes all the way to Detroit. HESR, LSRC and CSX remain open to the movement (who knows, maybe LSRC will acquire CSX's St. Clair line and trackage rights between Flint and Port Huron). In the meantime Theut continues to truck it in from a dock around Marysville where it is barged in from a pit in Canada.

Certain Teed acquisition of the former Ford Romeo Engine Plant where they will manufacturer roof shingles from recycled plastic is looking promising and continues to move forward. All the dynamics are in place for this to be approved. If everything falls into place they could begin production by June, 2023.

Another new customer has been added via transload at an old abandoned spur in Shelby Twp. by 26 Mile Rd. and Mound Rd. Napco, who has a plant across Mound Rd., Shelby Twp. near the RR&R ROW, will be receiving 1-2 cars a week of plastic pellets.

On another note, there has been sustained pressure from local Rail to Trail proponents to turn the entire ROW into a bike line. Their ability to create pressure depends on the political climate in MI and right now with traffic levels low they are making RR&R's life tough. In the past the on line customers could push back enough to keep them from winning. But now that Ford and Letica are gone the remaining customers do not carry the same weight. In fact, several of the customers have indicated being open to having their commodities trucked in. Although they like working with RR&R, their cars do not always receive the same attention once it is on the Class 1 connection. Fortunately, CN is pretty good but if cars have to go one another Class 1 service can be unpredictable. Certain Teed will protect the line into Romeo but west of there is up in the air right now.

Meanwhile, service continues to be once a week with it usually taking two days to make a round trip. It is not unusual to have to pull storage cars on other days for CN for their Sarnia petrochemical customers.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This is very late news but in 2017 Letica Plastics in Rochester was acquired by Berry Global who quickly closed the Rochester plant and moved its production to another location.

Going into 2022 this is what the customer list looks like:
- Romeo _ Allwood Building Components: Receives one to three cars of lumber per month
- Washington _ Washington Elevator: Receives 55-70 cars of fertilizer and 22-33 cars of salt annually
- Shelby Twp. _ NAPCO: Transloads one to two cars a week of plastic pellets
- Rochester _ Acme Building Materials: Receives four to six cars of roofing shingles annually
- Auburn Hills _ Church's Lumber: Receives one to three cars of lumber per month
- Auburn Hills _ Peninsula Plastics: Receives one to two cars of plastic pellets every one to two weeks

Certain Teed is on target to be moved in to the former Ford Engine plant in Romeo and begin product by June, 2023. Here is a run down of the types and volume of traffic they expect to handle with RR&R:
- 12-16 inbound cars a week of roofing granules
- Five to eight outbound cars a week of packaged roofing shingles
- Three to four inbound cars a week of adhesives
- One to two inbound cars a week of recycled plastic pellets (loaded in box cars in large totes)
- 90%+ of the recycled plastic pellets and all chipped rubber is expected to arrive by truck
Total volume is anticipated to be 21-30 cars per week.

With Certain Teed moving in and Washington Elevator, Church's Lumber and Peninsula Plastics being very pro-railroad at the west end the Rails to Trails group will have difficulty, for now, getting the line abandoned and made into a bike trail.

Litigation continues over trackage rights on CN from Richmond to Port Huron. The first court case is schedule in September. There are no talks between CN and RR&R regarding this matter. RR&R's case is simple: there is a contract and CN is expected to honor it. CN's case is the agreement was 25 years ago, RR&R never used the rights and now traffic patterns have changed so the deal should be renegotiated (it's CN's word for terminated as they don't want RR&R on their track and they don't want to handle the stone). Theut is joining RR&R in the case but only half heartedly because they have been receiving their stone from a local barge dock and are hesitant to fight over this change.

However, RR&R is talking to Theut about a brick transload in Romeo. They had a spur next to their Chesterfield plant but never used it so GTW ripped it out in the 1990's after a hardboard plant closed its doors (they received a couple all door box cars each week). It would be a simple operation with a concrete dock and spur that can unload a couple box cars at a time. The potential for this operation to be up and running in a couple months is possible.

Storage cars, especially Storage in Transit cars for CN's petrol-chemical customers in Sarnia, remains strong and requires switching three to five times per week. When Certain Teed moves in next June RR&R is looking to build a two track yard between 31 and 32 miles road to continue the SIT business.

At this time business is good but RR&R is a marginal railroad. At least there are prospects in the horizon.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

RR&R may be picking up a new customer. Pfizer, in Rochester, may have to start shipping by rail after an absence of over 40 years. Pfizer makes a Penicillin inside chicken eggs. It’s a low volume, high profit operation. However, due to new regulations this product may not be allowed to be trucked in urban areas soon. Rochester is an urban area. So, Pfizer is talking to RR&R about laying a two-car spur at the south (back) of their property where they will load an extra-large tank car (33,000 Gal.) every 3-4 weeks. The Penicillin will go to Pfizer’s Groton, MA plant (served by NEC).

The profit from this small volume customer could equal what was lost when Berry Plastics closed their Rochester plant in 2017 (they received 2-3 cars per week.).

Also, with Pfizer’s muscle it will make it more difficult for the rails-to-trails groups from pressuring RR&R/MI Gov. from turning the ROW south of Romeo into a bike trail.

Storage car business remains very strong especially SIT (Storage in Transit) cars for the petrochemical customers in Sarnia, Canada. 4-5 days a week RR&R is interchanging cars with CN at Richmond (Lennox). The mile long siding south of Romeo is probably going to get built in 2023. After Certain Teed opens its recycled-plastic roofing shingle plant, SIT traffic is projected to remain very strong in the foreseeable future.

Customers south of Romeo looks like this:
Romeo –Allwood Building Components: inbound lumber (21-32 cars annually)
Washington – Capitol Fertilizer:
• Inbound fertilizer feedstock (56-70 cars annually). 2022 projections have been reduced due to hot/dry conditions and farmland being converted to residential properties.
• Inbound salt (22-33 cars annually)
Shelby Twp. – Napco: Inbound plastic pellets to Team track across street from plant (64-86 cars annually)
Rochester Hills – Pfizer: Outbound penicillin (13-17 cars annually) Current discussions
Rochester – Acme Building Materials: Inbound roof shingles (4-6 cars annually)
Auburn Heights – Church’s Lumber Wholesale: Inbound lumber (20-31 cars annually)
Auburn Heights – Peninsula Plastics: Inbound plastic pellets (49-66 cars annually)

At the north end Star of the West, which currently receives 12-15 cars annually of dry and liquid fertilizer, there continues ongoing discussions about shipping edible beans by both box car and covered hoppers. If an agreement is reached, traffic could begin as soon as November.

The brick transload for Theut Products looks unlikely.

Due to the rails to trails groups RR&R has been very cautious about allowing railfans access. They have been very aggressive and sometimes not ethical in trying to get the ROW south of Romeo. Hopefully as business south of Romeo grows, especially with big names or active community companies, they will back off and RR&R can be more open to railfan activity. The bicentennial engines, GP38ac 1776, is especially a big draw from rail enthusiast all over the country.