Fun Friday TLU Poll

Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans.

What is your favorite TLU thread to read/follow.

Poll ended at Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:26 am

Amtrak
No votes
Shortlines
20%
CSX
49%
CN
20%
NS/CP
No votes
Great Lakes Central
11%
Conrail Shared Assets
No votes

Total votes: 35

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Fun Friday TLU Poll

Unread post by GRHC »

Here’s a fun noncontroversial poll to find out what is everybody’s favorite TLU thread to read/follow.

Note: I always read/follow the CSX thread however I do follow the shortlines thread as well. The other various TLU threads I follow very loosely.
If you would like to leave additional comments that are fun and noncontroversial I encourage you to do so.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Fun Friday TLU Poll

Unread post by AARR »

In general I enjoy posts about railroad operations and the cars they are handling
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

Definitely CN for me. I’m sure CSX will probably get the most votes since I know you guys on the west side love flooding that CSX updates page. Now we just need to get some of that for the Saginaw and Detroit subs

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:43 pm
Definitely CN for me. I’m sure CSX will probably get the most votes since I know you guys on the west side love flooding that CSX updates page. Now we just need to get some of that for the Saginaw and Detroit subs
What you write is definitely true the CSX thread will probably get the most votes and that thread does get flooded with post but the people who do post on that thread are just giving people what they want.
I think one of the reasons why the CSX thread gets flooded is because of the scanner feeds that are available. I myself don’t use the scanner or follow what’s going on in the world of scanning. With that being said I don’t know if there’s a scanner feed for CN and other railroads and if not that could be the reason for less post and it’s not because of a lack of interest for those other threads.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

I've been interested in why CSX plays such a big role on this site. It's always got the most updates from the widest group of people on TLU and it has by far the most detailed and up to date train symbols list on the wiki.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:18 pm
I've been interested in why CSX plays such a big role on this site. It's always got the most updates from the widest group of people on TLU and it has by far the most detailed and up to date train symbols list on the wiki.
I would have to think the answer to your question is location location location. There seems to be more active RailRoadFan.com board members located along the CSX lines than there are the other lines. That’s just my theory I could be wrong.

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

GRHC wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:25 pm
Erroneous Monk wrote:
I would have to think the answer to your question is location location location. There seems to be more active RailRoadFan.com board members located along the CSX lines than there are the other lines. That’s just my theory I could be wrong.
Your theory is correct for certain members. My closest RR is the Grand Elk and they are certainly hard to follow since there’s no scanner for them. I just follow whoever reports them from the south to north and I just wait for the Elk to head south again.

Closest CSX rails for me is 10 miles NB to downtown Grand Rapids or 10 miles NW to downtown Grandville. I just chase whatever train has 120-200 cars and go in from there
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Andy24 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:55 pm
GRHC wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:25 pm
Erroneous Monk wrote:
Your theory is correct for certain members. My closest RR is the Grand Elk and they are certainly hard to follow since there’s no scanner for them. I just follow whoever reports them from the south to north and I just wait for the Elk to head south again.
It’s definitely harder to post shortline TLU‘s because like you said there’s no scanner for the Elk as well as other short lines and the short lines that do use the radios seem to use them less frequently than the class 1’s.
So basically you’re down to you have to see them to report them.
I myself like watching and reporting the Hamilton Northwestern but it’s very difficult. I either have to hear them or rely on somebody else reporting or on dumb luck and just happened to run into them.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
It just kind of worked out that way. Definitely wasn't intentional, I don't believe. It would be nice to have more spotters along the CN line, as well as some of the short lines. We just happen to be fortunate to have someone like Tom in the CSX thread who is retired and has the time to share his interest, that being primarily the CSX Grand Rapids sub activity. Add to that a LOT of people from west Michigan were on this site early on, so the CSX reports dominated this site 15-20 years ago. CSX, Amtrak, CP (originally), and BNSF coal trains were reported a lot here for both the CSX Plymouth and GR subs in the early days of the site.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

J T wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:36 pm
Erroneous Monk wrote:
It just kind of worked out that way. Definitely wasn't intentional, I don't believe. It would be nice to have more spotters along the CN line, as well as some of the short lines. We just happen to be fortunate to have someone like Tom in the CSX thread who is retired and has the time to share his interest, that being primarily the CSX Grand Rapids sub activity. Add to that a LOT of people from west Michigan were on this site early on, so the CSX reports dominated this site 15-20 years ago. CSX, Amtrak, CP (originally), and BNSF coal trains were reported a lot here for both the CSX Plymouth and GR subs in the early days of the site.
Wow thank you for that insightful and well thought out post J T great explanation. This is why we always invite you to the party my friend. 😉

We still haven’t heard from a lot of the other board members on this site and I think I speak for everyone one in saying we are looking forward to hearing from you. I personally would like to hear from long time board member and TLU contributor SD80MAC aka Conrail Jon.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I like the Amtrak updates but find the CSX the most useful as it is line that runs through my hometown. The most likely place for me to see a train on days when I am at home. Before the superscanner and I monitored my portable scanner all day when I was around and posted any tidbits I heard. Often times the best info was just from listening to the dispatcher talk to various other departments and maintainers working the territory. Now there is no need I haven’t turned my scanner on in years because Tom transcribes every word.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I like the Amtrak updates but find the CSX the most useful as it is the line that runs through my hometown. The most likely place for me to see a train on days when I am at home. Before the superscanner I monitored my portable scanner all day when I was around and posted any tidbits I heard. Often times the best info was just from listening to the dispatcher talk to various other departments and maintainers working the territory. Now there is no need. I haven’t turned my scanner on in years because Tom transcribes every word.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Jetlink wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:32 pm
I like the Amtrak updates but find the CSX the most useful as it is line that runs through my hometown. The most likely place for me to see a train on days when I am at home. Before the superscanner I monitored my portable scanner all day when I was around and posted any tidbits I heard. Often times the best info was just from listening to the dispatcher talk to various other departments and maintainers working the territory. Now there is no need. I haven’t turned my scanner on in years because Tom transcribes every word.
Well thank you Jetlink for that heartfelt raw and emotional post. You said to the world if you cut me I will bleed and my blood is red. Jetlink there is something I would like you to do for me if possible. In the morning I want you to get your scanner out I want you to charge those batteries I want you to start listening again and posting TLU’s from the Lake Odessa area the place you call home. While the table may seem crowded and it is there’s always a place at the table for you so pull up a chair my friend.

It seems like the rule is that peoples favorite TLU is based on the railroad that they live near thus giving them a connection to. Of course there are exceptions to the rule such as the CN fan living on the shores of Lake Michigan or the Lake State aficionado living in metro Detroit.
In my opinion this has been an interesting informative and fun poll.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Used to have 4 or 5 guys that posted regularly in Plymouth. That was over 10 years ago.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

GTW6401 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:41 am
Used to have 4 or 5 guys that posted regularly in Plymouth. That was over 10 years ago.
Like sands through the hourglass I believe is how the saying goes and unfortunately in this case maybe the sands of those posters simply ran out and they are no longer with us. Of course there are other contributing factors to as to why people quit posting on the TLU threads such as believe it or not they no longer may be interested in trains or maybe they have moved out of the area. Hopefully in time somebody will flip that hourglass back over and the sands at the top of the hourglass will outnumber those at the bottom and the new generation of posters will take over. If you happen to be reading this post and you live on that side of the state near the lines mentioned in the above post this could be a call to arms for you to start posting TLU’s. I am sure your contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Back to the original question and that is what is your favorite TLU to read/follow. I have made assumptions as to what makes a particular TLU a person‘s favorite such as you live near a railroad and you have a connection to it or you’re a fan of a particular railroad.
I as well as others would like to hear from more RailRoadFan.com board members what their reasoning is and what makes a particular TLU their favorite.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:08 am
In general I enjoy posts about railroad operations and the cars they are handling
That’s terrific thank you for sharing AARR I am sure there are many others that think and feel the same way you do. I myself enjoy the TLU threads in part for that very same reason as well as other reasons such as train locations.

Vonkamrath
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Vonkamrath »

My vote went to CSX but I read the Shortline almost as often.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Vonkamrath wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:03 pm
My vote went to CSX but I read the Shortline almost as often.
First off let me say this Vonkamrath thank you for participating in the poll and for posting. I would also like to say you must be my brother from another mother because we are very much the same as far as our preferences in TLU threads go.
As I stated earlier my favorite TLU thread to read/follow is the CSX thread because I have lived most of my life next to and watched trains on what is now known as the CSX Grand Rapids subdivision. For me the TLU shortline thread came in a close second for two reasons first I enjoy shortline railroads and their operations secondly I live close by numerous shortline operations so there’s definitely a local connection to those shortlines.

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steamlogger »

I voted CSX. Some months I try and keep up on the Shrotlines more so if I am out railfanning near one. The CN, Amtrak and Conrail often give locations that I am not familiar with having lived in the west GR suburbs my whole life. Lately I have been commissioning equipment in Lansing and haven’t been able to see Marquette Rail Z151 on my breaks or lunch 😭.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Steamlogger wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:54 am
I voted CSX. Some months I try and keep up on the Shrotlines more so if I am out railfanning near one. The CN, Amtrak and Conrail often give locations that I am not familiar with having lived in the west GR suburbs my whole life. Lately I have been commissioning equipment in Lansing and haven’t been able to see Marquette Rail Z151 on my breaks or lunch 😭.
Steamlogger i’m glad you posted because this gives me the opportunity to tell you that I’m a big fan of your videos especially your vintage videos that you have been releasing lately. You make a good point that I would like to touch on and that is TLU threads that I loosely follow. I personally find those threads somewhat confusing and hard to follow because I’m not familiar with the lines that these trains run on or their symbols. Take the CN TLU thread for example when a post only gives an MP location I am totally lost because i’m not familiar with the line and I do not have a timetable to reference making it difficult to know where that train actually is. I do however enjoy the different writing styles of the most of the people posting on those threads and have noticed they tend to vary from thread to thread. I will close out this post by leaving you with a link to Steamlogger’s YouTube channel so you can enjoy his many videos.
https://youtube.com/@steamlogger?si=adPIUTWVq202Jz7-