Santa Fe Jct train traffic

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Santa Fe Jct train traffic

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

I recently just started watching the Santa Fe Jct cam and it is really busy. I have been seeing anywhere from 4-10 trains in an hour. Roughly how many trains run through Santa Fe Jct in a 24 hour period? Does NS run through there if so how many? And how much does CP run through there total?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: Santa Fe Jct train traffic

Unread post by David Collins »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:32 pm
I recently just started watching the Santa Fe Jct cam and it is really busy. I have been seeing anywhere from 4-10 trains in an hour. Roughly how many trains run through Santa Fe Jct in a 24 hour period? Does NS run through there if so how many? And how much does CP run through there total?
I don’t have an exact count, but that place is on crack with how busy it is, I pulled and all nighter once and saw over 100 trains. It is not rare to have 3 or even 4 way meets. NS and CP do run through there but I do not know counts.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:13 am
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:32 pm
I don’t have an exact count, but that place is on crack with how busy it is, I pulled and all nighter once and saw over 100 trains. It is not rare to have 3 or even 4 way meets. NS and CP do run through there but I do not know counts.

Dang that is alot compared to most places in the US. Pretty its the old Wabash that runs through there? Might have to go there for vacation this summer.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Dude really. Just go on YouTube and watch the cam....

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

CSXBOY wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 am
Dude really. Just go on YouTube and watch the cam....
I do lol, did you not see my first message literally saying "just started watching the Santa Fe Jct cam"?

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Okay, but you could rewind it as well. I'll say this, this is a rough estimate and I've been to Kansas City twice for trains and I'll say it's one of my favorite cities to railfan outside of Houston, Dallas Fort Worth and the twin cities. You got about 100 BNSF trains a day from both the former ATSF transcon and the former BN coal routes. Union Pacific runs a good chunk of trains a day probably about 30-40 trains a day. Amtrak runs twice daily as well. Plus the Kansas City terminal railroad runs whenever. There MIGHT BE a CPKC transfer that works its way through I could be wrong about it. Santa Fe JCT is on border of Kansas and Missouri, so seeing CPKC and Norfolk southern is impossible since they have terminals east of there. Hope this helps. Santa Fe JCT averages over 150 trains a day.