Possible Amtrak Extension in Wisconsin

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Possible Amtrak Extension in Wisconsin

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Local news outlets are reporting that Amtrak and the Green Bay and Fox Valley communities are proposing an extension of service north of Milwaukee.

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/2 ... trak-line/

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Possible Amtrak Extension in Wisconsin

Unread post by PatAzo »

Is the State of Wisconsin willing to pay for it long term?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

I had the same thoughts Pat

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

I found the last paragraph in the recent Trains article on Amtrak's capacity woes interesting. Congress wants Amtrak to serve every American. Without demand from the public the services will be perpetually underfunded. They throw money around for new service while keeping to the fantasy that the current services should be profitable. When the public want intercity passenger rail they will demand it.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

They better not do what MDOT did with the current wolverine, pere marquette and blue water services. Pretty messy situation here... Plus Amtrak will have to go after CN if they want any access in that area.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

CSXBOY wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:07 pm
They better not do what MDOT did with the current wolverine, pere marquette and blue water services. Pretty messy situation here... Plus Amtrak will have to go after CN if they want any access in that area.

1) they have the Hiawatha to base it off of.

2) what exactly is your issue with MDOT? How is it messy? Are serviced reduced presently? Yes, due to equipment and staffing issues. Are both of those things fixable? Yes. Is that MDOT’s fault? No. MDOT is the customer, just like we are. We pay for the service, through MDOT, and Amtrak provides. Your complaint about service issues should be addressed to Amtrak and their crappy Mechanical Department.

I implore you to give actual details instead of just spouting off.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

CSXBOY wrote:
Plus Amtrak will have to go after CN if they want any access in that area.
Amtrak would not have to “go after” CN. If Amtrak wants to establish a route, the host railroad must accommodate the service.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:01 am
CSXBOY wrote:
Amtrak would not have to “go after” CN. If Amtrak wants to establish a route, the host railroad must accommodate the service.
On paper that’s how it works. However, that has not always been the case in recent years. Look at the gulf coast Sunset Limited boondoggle.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I can garuntee you CN will not be willing to host any Amtrak trains from Chicago to Green Bay. It's extremely profitable as it's their core mainline from Chicago to Canada they've built up since the 90s. I can totally see a "gulf coast" like battle with CN and Amtrak. The Hiawatha is successful cuz CP treats Amtrak much differently than CN does. CP is one of the few railroads that treats Amtrak with respect. Not to mention CP doesn't have any trackage up to GB. It goes across over towards the Minneapolis/St Paul. CN and maybe a shortline I can't think of the name goes up to Green Bay from the Milwaukee area. How would any of this work? I just don't see it happening.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

SD80MAC wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:49 pm
Standard Railfan wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:01 am
CSXBOY wrote:
On paper that’s how it works. However, that has not always been the case in recent years. Look at the gulf coast Sunset Limited boondoggle.
Exactly my point. Railroads care about moving freight at the quickest and most profitable way possible. They don't care about Amtrak, public relations and etc anymore. They care about moving freight from Point A to Point B the most profitable way possible

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Amtrak may enter an agreement to use rail carriers facilities "...under terms on which the parties agree." If the parties cannot agree Amtrak can submit the dispute to the STB who can order the carrier to provide the facilities AND establish reasonable compensation. Reasonable compensation can be greater than the incremental cost of providing the facilities.

Like many things in life, you can have whatever you want you just have to pay for it.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req ... on:prelim)