“National” PTC outage?

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
TSS
Railroadfan...fan

“National” PTC outage?

Unread post by TSS »

Earlier today, Amtrak put out a notice that due to a national PTC outage, all trains would incur delays. I am visiting family in Minnesota and heard the local BNSF dispatcher react with surprise and delight when the first train called him reporting functional PTC.

Obviously, locomotive equipment is interoperable, but each railroad has its own brand of line-side equipment, and I always assumed each had their own back-end systems as well. BNSF has servers to deliver data to trains on its lines, CSX on its lines, and so on.

How is it that there can be a national outage? Is there some central data repository?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: “National” PTC outage?

Unread post by DaveO »

Sounds like it was a problem at Amtrak.
PTC just being used as a scapegoat maybe?

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

DaveO wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:57 pm
No, as I mentioned, the BNSF in Minnesota seemed to have an outage as well, affecting all trains.

When I looked at the Amtrak map, the late trains seemed to be all on BNSF lines. So maybe Amtrak mis-reported a BNSF outage as “nationwide.”

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

TSS wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:57 pm
DaveO wrote:
No, as I mentioned, the BNSF in Minnesota seemed to have an outage as well, affecting all trains.

When I looked at the Amtrak map, the late trains seemed to be all on BNSF lines. So maybe Amtrak mis-reported a BNSF outage as “nationwide.”
Amtrak did indeed cite a nationwide outage, and Lincoln Service trains, among others, were impacted, although overall it appears to have been lite.

Once they figure out that everybody will be dead in the water, the call to let trains run cut-out was likely swift, but then they're limited to 59mph for passenger, 49mph freight AFAIK
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:01 pm
TSS wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:57 pm
DaveO wrote:

Amtrak did indeed cite a nationwide outage, and Lincoln Service trains, among others, were impacted, although overall it appears to have been lite.

Once they figure out that everybody will be dead in the water, the call to let trains run cut-out was likely swift, but then they're limited to 59mph for passenger, 49mph freight AFAIK
If they are cab code equipped, wondering if the speed limits are higher than 59/49 where allowed by time table speed limits?