Head-On collision between two NS Trains near Columbia, SC

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Head-On collision between two NS Trains near Columbia, SC

Unread post by David Collins »

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/art ... 50468.html

The article claims it was only 1 NS train involved and the other train was not a NS train. I know this location very well from when I lived in the south, there is no other railroad that runs through there other than NS (that exited while I lived there, things could've changed), you can actually tell the GP60 pictured (that is upright) was leading the local (Believed to be P36) that got hit by the other train, which is presumed to be 28T.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Head-On collision between two NS Trains near Columbia, SC

Unread post by Saturnalia »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:20 pm

The article claims it was only 1 NS train involved and the other train was not a NS train. I know this location very well from when I lived in the south, there is no other railroad that runs through there other than NS (that exited while I lived there, things could've changed), you can actually tell the GP60 pictured (that is upright) was leading the local (Believed to be P36) that got hit by the other train, which is presumed to be 28T.
Well, I'm gonna go with the Norfolk Southern spokesperson from the article, not some speculation:
The head end of a Norfolk Southern train heading from Atlanta to Charleston derailed at about 8:20 a.m., and three locomotives and three cars were involved, company spokesman Connor Spielmaker told The State. The Norfolk Southern train hit “an already derailed industry locomotive on an industry track that was fouling our mainline,” Spielmaker said. The industry locomotive was originally on a track parallel to the Norfolk Southern track, according to Spielmaker. But at some point it derailed and was either on, or close enough to, the Norfolk Southern track that it “encroached on the Norfolk Southern train’s right of way,” causing a collision and the Norfolk Southern train to derail, Spielmaker said. Information about how the industry locomotive ran off its track, or who owns that train, was not available.
To claim that you know more just because you used to live there is kinda crap. :roll:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

You mIght want to read the article. It clearly states an industrial locomotive was also involved. It appears in one of the photos.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

A Railserve locomotive ended up running through the derail at the nearby industry and fouled the main. The NS train ended up hitting it.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Apparently they have track rights into the Columbia Yard.
Google aerial shows a full track switch for the derail.
Details likely to be very interesting and never made public.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:20 pm

well well well

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Well well well what?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com