BNSF Hi line In Montana

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

BNSF Hi line In Montana

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Good evening everyone, so for 14 years of my life I have always wanted to visit Marias Pass on the BNSF Hi line. I am hoping to finally fulfill another dream of mine and get out there in early August. I also have noticed a few members on here have. So I have a couple questions.

What are traffic levels like these days? From what I have read its regarding 30-40 trains a day. Idk how true it is due to BNSF embracing huge trains as time goes on

When does the harvest season usually start? I am a huge fan of grain trains so catching a ton of these would be something cool to me

What are some advice to dealing with wildlife and being safe? I know Marias Pass is also home to the country's largest grizzly bear population

If you can give me any advice that would be nice as well. I love to do video, so videogenic vantage points would be nice. I also hope to stay at the izaak walton inn in Essex but if that does not happen there is always Plan B...

I know this is a Michigan based forum, but I have seen others talk about it on here. Advice would be nice

Thanks!

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: BNSF Hi line In Montana

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

September 2020

Shelby to Browning
https://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37456

East Glacier to Essex
https://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37457

Essex to Whitefish
https://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37474
What are traffic levels like these days? From what I have read its regarding 30-40 trains a day. Idk how true it is due to BNSF embracing huge trains as time goes on
Whatever the number is, down with DPUs and PSR. 30-40 sound right, maybe more during grain harvest season. Shelby is a junction town that raises the number.
When does the harvest season usually start? I am a huge fan of grain trains so catching a ton of these would be something cool to me
Many Grain Trains run during harvest season in August and the following months making the line busier.
What are some advice to dealing with wildlife and being safe? I know Marias Pass is also home to the country's largest grizzly bear population
Leave them alone, they will likely leave you alone. The more people around, the less likely they will be around.
If you can give me any advice that would be nice as well. I love to do video, so videogenic vantage points would be nice. I also hope to stay at the izaak walton inn in Essex but if that does not happen there is always Plan B...
Izaak Walton is highly recommended. Great homecooked food and and accommodations. Can also stay in one of their cabooses on site. The pedestrian bridge offers great photo opportunities at various times of the day in both directions. There are plenty of accommodations in all of the towns along the mainline.

Visiting Glacier Park is a must if in the area. Being eye to eye with the clouds on the Going To The Sun Road is a positive lifechanging experience.

ImageGoing To The Sun Road - Glacier National Park by tcamp7837, on Flickr

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Thanks for the information. Due to being only 20 years old, gas and the rising cost of car rentals ( Only offer was 5 thousand dollars for an SUV for a whole week) yeah no thanks. lol I plan on taking Amtrak to Essex and just relax at the Izaak Walton inn. I hope I run into other railfans and they can show me around. But thanks for showing me your pictures they are breathtaking.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

CSXBOY wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:28 pm
Thanks for the information. Due to being only 20 years old, gas and the rising cost of car rentals ( Only offer was 5 thousand dollars for an SUV for a whole week) yeah no thanks. lol I plan on taking Amtrak to Essex and just relax at the Izaak Walton inn. I hope I run into other railfans and they can show me around. But thanks for showing me your pictures they are breathtaking.
Good Plan.

A stopover in Shelby may be very worthwhile also. Hotels are within walking distance of the Amtrak Station and the area is very accessible and photogenic. Shelby became busy in the evening after Amtrak #7 passed through. The railroads are known to hold all of the freights until after Amtrak and then freight traffic becomes busy. The report above is proof.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Possibly. It really depends how much money I have by then. But playing Marias Pass on my train simulator for years, I would love to visit Shelby. I am curious, how busy is the BNSF Great Falls Sub exactly?

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

CSXBOY wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:48 pm
Possibly. It really depends how much money I have by then. But playing Marias Pass on my train simulator for years, I would love to visit Shelby. I am curious, how busy is the BNSF Great Falls Sub exactly?
I've been going to Montana for the past 5 years, and can't get enough. Shelby is a neat place to stay, get a room at the Comfort Inn in town and ask for a room facing the tracks. Prices are good, and you can see all the trains. Great Falls sees a couple of manifests per day, plus the yard job will go out and switch the industrial park south of town. Throw in a grain train or two during the week. Be prepared, there will be periods of dead time. But you've always got the yard job to watch kick cars. Take a side trip to Great Falls, still standing roundhouse with great northern on the side, a neat bridge across the river, military aircraft. It's a cool place to visit.

Izaak Walton Inn is a must stay. I go every year, food is a little expensive, but totally worth the experience.

Train counts are in the high 20s to low 30s. Although grain can make that number swell.
The dispatcher is cool.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

GTWTD3 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:52 pm
Train counts are in the high 20s to low 30s. Although grain can make that number swell.
However, I will add to this that trains on the pass are easy to chase, especially those going uphill. US2 is twisty but still usually good for well above what the trains can do. It's definitely possible to shoot the Empire Builder at Essex and then at East Glacier, and vice versa, for instance. Between all of that, you can chase something east over the pass, and then grab a westbound and go back and forth all day long between West Glacier (Belton) and East Glacier.

Goat Lick is an awesome vantage point, and again it's very possible to shoot something there and then easily beat them to the summit, for instance.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I think Great Falls is somewhat out of the way to where I am heading. I plan to board Amtrak somewhere in western Wisconsin and ride that way to Montana. Originally I was going to take it to Essex and stay at the Izaak Walton inn for a week. I know its alot of money, but its my dream to stay there ever since I was in first grade. I like the idea of staying a night in Shelby then taking Amtrak the next day to Essex. I am surprised that not many railfans visit Shelby due to it being a junction town with the Great Falls sub and Northern Transcon. I think its a good thing tbh. The hotels are within a mile from the station which isn't bad. Considering it, but it all depends on the money. I dont have enough money to rent a car or drive 3 days out there. Being from Michigan its a long long way out there lol

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

GTWTD3 wrote:
CSXBOY wrote:
I've been going to Montana for the past 5 years, and can't get enough. Shelby is a neat place to stay, get a room at the Comfort Inn in town and ask for a room facing the tracks. Prices are good, and you can see all the trains. Great Falls sees a couple of manifests per day, plus the yard job will go out and switch the industrial park south of town. Throw in a grain train or two during the week. Be prepared, there will be periods of dead time. But you've always got the yard job to watch kick cars. Take a side trip to Great Falls, still standing roundhouse with great northern on the side, a neat bridge across the river, military aircraft. It's a cool place to visit.

Izaak Walton Inn is a must stay. I go every year, food is a little expensive, but totally worth the experience.

The Shelby Yard Job (in September 2020, was on duty around 4pm), may have interesting older engines....

ImageSanta Fe Bluebonnet - Shelby Amtrak Station by tcamp7837, on Flickr
Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:19 pm

Goat Lick is an awesome vantage point, and again it's very possible to shoot something there and then easily beat them to the summit, for instance.
Agreed.

ImageGoat Lick Overlook by tcamp7837, on Flickr

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:43 am
GTWTD3 wrote:
CSXBOY wrote:

The Shelby Yard Job (in September 2020, was on duty around 4pm), may have interesting older engines....

ImageSanta Fe Bluebonnet - Shelby Amtrak Station by tcamp7837, on Flickr
Saturnalia wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:19 pm

Agreed.

ImageGoat Lick Overlook by tcamp7837, on Flickr

As of October 2021 the job was on duty at 7 or 8am. And they were down to one yard job doing everything. Which is a challenge.
The dispatcher is cool.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Word was from a BNSF Employee that there is a local that runs as needed from Shelby west to Meriwether or Browning to service the grain elevators and other Agri Businesses. Likely runs more regularly during grain harvest season is the same crew / engines as the Shelby Yard Job.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Well I just booked my stay at the Izaak Walton inn for a week in Mid August (14th-21st). Will be taking Amtrak out there. Probably will just be relaxing there unless I run into other railfans and maybe they will take me on a tour who knows. But yeah, with Amtrak running the empire builder on tri weekly basis as of right now I just plan to take it to Essex and just relax there for a week. Hopefully the grain rush will be in full swing, because I love catching those BNSF grain trains. I met someone railfanning in Indiana last spring who lives out in Sandpoint ID and he mentioned that there were 20 grain trains in a day out there. Guess exports and imports are strong for grain traffic out in the PNW.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

I had a very relaxing trip out there. Thanks for all the info. I took Amtrak from Wisconsin and spent most of the week at the izaak Walton Inn hotel watching trains in the Essex area. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. What a trip that was. Thanks for all of the info. Hope to be back out there again sometime