Amtrak’s new venture cars

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Amtrak’s new venture cars

Unread post by David Collins »

It’s been almost a year since the venture cars made their first test run here in Michigan, and with them about enter service, there are some questions that I’ve got, can anyone confirm the following:

1. Will MDOT be receiving cab cars like what the states of Wisconsin/Minnesota will be receiving?
2. Are there any Café cars for these trains? When the test train ran, I didn’t see one.

Thanks,

-DC
Last edited by David Collins on Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak’s new venture cars

Unread post by TSS »

There will be cafe cars. I remember reading somewhere that they are coming well after the passenger cars, so the Venture-equipped trains were to have Amfleet (and/or Horizon?) cafes for the better part of a year. That was a pre- or early-pandemic announcement, so who knows now.

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:13 am
It’s been almost a month since the venture cars made their first test run here in Michigan, and with them about enter service…
Have you heard anything concrete about when they will enter service?

It’s taken forever, with the lead in the water (who in their right mind would drink train lavatory water anyway? Maybe back in 1940, but now?!), and Amtrak’s lack of capacity to train staff and deploy, and someone said something about the luggage racks being wrong…

I have high hopes for the comfort and convenience of these cars, but I am fearful of being disappointed. The Superliners are feeling tired and dated, but remain very comfortable compared to the single level equipment. It will be bittersweet to see them go.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... %80%9D.pdf
About to enter service? Probably a little optimistic.
Minnesota isn't part of the Midwest coalition AFAIK.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

David Collins wrote:
It’s been almost a month since the venture cars made their first test run here in Michigan...
Month? You mean year?

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

TSS wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:27 pm
Have you heard anything concrete about when they will enter service?
Yes, I have, I have a friend of mine that works trains out of Chicago (No, Not Buster Manning) and he’s told me they should be entering service by the end of April.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

NS3322 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:03 pm
David Collins wrote:
It’s been almost a month since the venture cars made their first test run here in Michigan...
Month? You mean year?
Yes, my mistake

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

Im afraid you are going to be very disappointed in the comfort. The best way I can describe the seat comfort,,,,,get on a city bus
and ride it for 6 hours. Seats are narrow and for two people sitting together, you WILL get to know them well :). Arm rests do separate you abit.The plugs and USB ports are behind you in the middle of the seat backs. Crowded trains are going to be fun :(

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

David Collins wrote:
It’s been almost a year since the venture cars made their first test run here in Michigan, and with them about enter service, there are some questions that I’ve got, can anyone confirm the following:

1. Will MDOT be receiving cab cars like what the states of Wisconsin/Minnesota will be receiving?
2. Are there any Café cars for these trains? When the test train ran, I didn’t see one.

Thanks,

-DC
1. From my understanding, no. Only the Hiawatha is getting cab cars; I believe WI & CA are paying extra for them.
2. Yes but later; so you'll see Amfleets & Horizon cafes for a while still.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

With the discussion about Venture cars and their "issues" recently, I did a little research and was disappointed in what I found. One of the most important rumors to me about these cars is that the Midwest cars have uncomfortable seats. While these cars may have other issues and break-in issues that overshadow the seats, Doing a little digging into the basic accommodations for the VIA venture cars, and the Bright line "Smart" class cars (their lowest accommodation), just looking at images it is seems like it could be clear that the Midwest cars are likely behind.

Amtrak
Amtrak seats via reddit
Amtrak seats via reddit
Via
Via seats via Via
Via seats via Via
Brightline
Birhgtline Seats Via Brightline
Birhgtline Seats Via Brightline
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Bumping this thread: According to a source related to the matter, Amtrak is to debut a full train-set of venture cars on trains 350/355 next Monday.

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

A month or 2 ago, a friend was riding Amtrak P370 from Chicago back to St Joseph & had a conversation with a Conductor, where, the Conductor had said they don't like the idea of these new Venture cars because: the door windows do not open & if a door is opened above 2 mph, the train will go into Emergency - all of which is going to hinder them for "spotting" the cars on the passenger platforms for boarding & de-boarding.

The MARC trains (Maryland Rail Commuter) that operate on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor between Washington DC & Perryville, Maryland (with Amtrak crews) have MARC Stations between the major Amtrak Stations & there are numbered signs the engineer sees to know where to stop his engine for whichever car(s) will be handling passengers. That idea may have to be adopted on the Grand Rapids sub-division.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Looks like today is the day. Per Facebook post (no photo confirmation) they are on today's #350.

Update: Saw them myself, they are on #350. Amfleet cafe car is the second car though...rest are all Ventures.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:12 am
Looks like today is the day. Per Facebook post (no photo confirmation) they are on today's #350.

Update: Saw them myself, they are on #350. Amfleet cafe car is the second car though...rest are all Ventures.
AFAIK the Venture "Bistro" cars are not yet built and/or serviceable, so they'll be continuing to use the Horizon and Amfleet Cafes for now
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow