Suez Canal and what it means to shipping.

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Suez Canal and what it means to shipping.

Unread post by Doktor No »

Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Suez Canal and what it means to shipping.

I wonder what parade of errors and foolishness led to this and what the consequences will be for the captain and crew?
And the article also talks about the Just In Time fallacy and what that is doing to our supply chain.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Ugh, just in time. I work in manufacturing and just in time is a major pain in the butt. Can't freaking stand it.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Doktor No wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:48 am
I wonder what parade of errors and foolishness led to this and what the consequences will be for the captain and crew?
And the article also talks about the Just In Time fallacy and what that is doing to our supply chain.
Sounds like issues in the channel with wind and currents with such a large ship - it was bound to happen eventually.

Almost all of the American issues will be weeks if not months in the future because most Suez trade is Asia-Europe. We don't import a ton of oil anymore and what we did was usually in vessels to large to take the Suez anyway. Most of the impacts will probably be from delayed ships which will miss their port dates, and an expected increase on the strain of the container fleet - there is already a supply crunch but now tens of thousands of boxes will be tied up longer than expected, leading to even higher lease rates.

So Europe is FUBAR but we'll probably do *okay*, beyond delays to certain shipments and price pressures on the global shipping market. Goods made in Europe like cars may end up being delayed or more expensive as producers run out of parts or resort to flying them in.

My presumption is that this will encourage an acceleration of Egypt's already-underway plans to widen the canal so that it can function as more than just a one-way street. It, like the Panama Canal used to be, is operating at effectively 100% capacity and any additional capacity will likely be quickly taken up.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

There may be an increase in containers moving across the US by train for a short time if the ship isn’t freed shortly. According to media reports, the salvage contractor leading the effort to free the ship has stated it may take weeks.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/25/9811282 ... mpany-says

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you for your inputs. Sometimes I wonder........as for just in time etc, etc...I was up tp the local Ford Dealer, VanderHyde up here in Cedar Springs...they have taken to parking used cars in their new car lot just so it looks full. THEY CAN'T GET CARS OR TRUCKS.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Doktor No wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:03 pm
Thank you for your inputs. Sometimes I wonder........as for just in time etc, etc...I was up tp the local Ford Dealer, VanderHyde up here in Cedar Springs...they have taken to parking used cars in their new car lot just so it looks full. THEY CAN'T GET CARS OR TRUCKS.
We're building them as fast as we can but this semiconductor shortage going on is making it difficult. Pretty much every Ford plant except for mine (Wayne), Flat Rock (Mustang, and rumor is that one is supposed to go down within the next 2 weeks) and one of the 2 plants down in Mexico (Can't remember which one) have been effected by it in some way. The plant in Canada that makes the Edge and Lincoln Nautilus has only worked 3 full weeks this year so far. The global supply chain is still a disaster from the covid shutdown and it hasn't gotten much better since everyone cut down their part orders from suppliers in anticipation for a drop in demand that never ended up really happening.

RailsandTrucks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailsandTrucks »

All the OEM's are getting hit by the chip issues. FCA just knocked out production in a handful of plants yesterday for a few weeks, and a few days ago GM extended shutdowns at several and even pulled a truck plant (Wentzville MO, on the NS former Wabash- builds the Colorado/Canyon) down for a week or two. Even with the US OEM's doing everything they can to keep the truck and midsize/large SUV plants up they are still behind and adjusting the mix based on what options they can get parts for. I ordered a new Ford the second week of January figuring I'd probably have it early March... I "MIGHT" get it by late April.
Keep on truckin........By Train!!!

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

What’s your VIN? I can look it up for you. PM if you would rather not have that discussion publicly.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Ship finally unstuck and motoring its way north: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 38/zoom:13
No cargo ships have passed through the canal yet though, just a bunch of tug boats.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com