Algoma Central Railroad.

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Algoma Central Railroad.

Unread post by ns8401 »

joeyuboats wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:53 am
Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:05 pm
The AC is probably the most desolate mainline in the region, and makes the Upper Peninsula look flush with traffic. Only the tourist trains justify it today. No reason for a big railroad to keep it if its probably better in the hands of a smaller carrier anyway.

I don't understand the loathing of big carriers spinning off branch lines. It usually is better for the branches that they be put under more locally-focused management. I almost always see this stuff as a good thing
Well, to be correct, the AC was locally controlled before WC, and then CN took over. This happens everywhere in the country. I guess the next question would be, then why did the big RR take over the small RR, only to get rid of it ??
Traffic or other business opportunities that seemed logical to someone 20 years ago and now no longer make much sense in the bigger picture.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Announced today in the Trains News Wire Watco is acquiring the Algoma Central and other CN trackage totaling 650 miles in Michigan, Wisconsin and Ontario wow.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Watco seems to have done a decent job building up traffic on their other Michigan lines. Hopefully they'll be as successful in the UP. It'd be nice to see more pulpwood logs return to rails as well as outbound wood products.
penn central wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:20 am
Announced today in the Trains News Wire Watco is acquiring the Algoma Central and other CN trackage totaling 650 miles in Michigan, Wisconsin and Ontario wow.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

AARR wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 am
Watco seems to have done a decent job building up traffic on their other Michigan lines. Hopefully they'll be as successful in the UP. It'd be nice to see more pulpwood logs return to rails as well as outbound wood products.
penn central wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:20 am
They are pretty good at taking care of customers. I reread the article it's actually 900 miles that Watco is getting.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm curious what Watco sees in the old AC. I don't know of any local customers until Oba or Hearst. That's a lot of miles with little to no business.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Pardon my ignorance:

CN crosses at the soo daily w a full train. What are they doing w that freight on the Canadian border if, according to the map, they sold everything else from the soo north?

Is there local industries just not detailed on this map or are they handing G&W some run thru traffic?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you for brnging up this question, LRF. I've looked at satellite pictures for the entire line north of SSM and there is nothing substantial until Oba/Hearst.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:37 am
Pardon my ignorance:

CN crosses at the soo daily w a full train. What are they doing w that freight on the Canadian border if, according to the map, they sold everything else from the soo north?

Is there local industries just not detailed on this map or are they handing G&W some run thru traffic?