Huron Central

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Huron Central

Unread post by Doktor No »

Curb Your Enthusiasm.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Huron Central

Unread post by penn central »

Thank goodness i got up there in August of 2017 i spent the weekend at the Soo. According to Trains News Wire in December next month G&W is shutting it down. Other railroads are interested tho. I would imagine the power will probably be dispersed to other G&W properties.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They threaten to shut down every year or so. What's different about this threat?
penn central wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:12 pm
Thank goodness i got up there in August of 2017 i spent the weekend at the Soo. According to Trains News Wire in December next month G&W is shutting it down. Other railroads are interested tho. I would imagine the power will probably be dispersed to other G&W properties.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:41 pm
They threaten to shut down every year or so. What's different about this threat?
penn central wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:12 pm
This is the first time to my knowledge they've actually given dates before it was threats. And the government came threw with the money.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They don't have a lot of customers but they few that are there seem like potential high-volume traffic. Hope they find someone that can get more of that traffic to rail.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Another carrier is looking is partner with Ontario Northland to takeover the line.

https://www.northernontariobusiness.com ... ms-2854467

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:42 pm
They don't have a lot of customers but they few that are there seem like potential high-volume traffic. Hope they find someone that can get more of that traffic to rail.
I hope for the best to, The latest i have read was last year they moved 12.000 car loads mostly lumber and steel.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I think the issue is whether it's viable to keep the Soo-Espanola section.
Algoma Steel has rail options at the Soo and keeping the Espanola-Sudbury section gives rail service to Domtar and EACOM.
But that's not what the operators want to happen. They want government money to keep open the entire line which probably doesn't deserve to stay open.
Lots of track with no customers and relatively little traffic doesn't make for a good business case.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Compared to GLC in Michigan and their trackage being owned by the state, is GLC simply moving more cars to / from more destination than the Huron Central so the State Of Michigan justifies subsidizing the maintenance of the trackage for GLC to operate for economic / community / regional / benefit reasons?

Is the Huron Central simply not moving many cars, so the Province of Ontario is not convinced to believe a subsidy to Huron Central's trackage is "worth it"?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The GLC is a dead end once you get past the Mid Michigan. Abandoning parts of the GLC would cause impact to current customers.
The Huron Central is a thru route. You can remove the west end and all customers with rail service would still have rail service.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As I predicted, per Trains Magazine Newswire, a reprieve of the latest planned shutdown of the rail line from Soo Saint Marie Ont. to Sudbury Ont. Negotiations between G&W and the Canadian Government, has made some progress in proposed financial aid to help keep the railroad running now until June 30, 2021. The line was expected to shut down on December 18, of this year.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Algoma Central Railroad.

Unread post by joeyuboats »

What does the Huron Central serve in the Soo, and to the east, and where and with who does it interchange with ???

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:17 pm
As I predicted, per Trains Magazine Newswire, a reprieve of the latest planned shutdown of the rail line from Soo Saint Marie Ont. to Sudbury Ont. Negotiations between G&W and the Canadian Government, has made some progress in proposed financial aid to help keep the railroad running now until June 30, 2021. The line was expected to shut down on December 18, of this year.

From CRO:

GOOD NEWS: The HCRY (Huron Central Railway) will continue to operate with new funding now forthcoming:

As of May 29, 2021, a new funding agreement for Huron Central Railway is now being drawn up, which means the plans to suspend operations June 30, have now been erased. The Huron Central Railway is owned by Shortline Operator Genesee & Wyoming inc (Who own (or lease) 121 short line and regional freight railroads in Canada and the USA. The Huron Central Railway moves freight loads (on former CP trackage), between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury Ontario. Genesee & Wyoming Canada has announced that it will continue to operate the Huron Central Railway now that significant progress has been made with both the federal and provincial governments and the expectation of a soon-to-be-announced funding agreement between the three parties.

PHOTO of HCRY 802 departing the yard by Ken Reiss.

www.canadianrailwayobservations.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Look at the cover of the March issue. It looks like Durand.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:56 am

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 12:10 pm
Look at the cover of the March issue. It looks like Durand.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:56 am

Yeah. Drone shot by Brian Caswell/Speedshot Photography. He’s on fb. Great work.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:26 pm
Yeah. Drone shot by Brian Caswell/Speedshot Photography. He’s on fb. Great work.
Here's also here and reads the board often, just doesn't post much: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10348
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 9:35 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 2:26 pm
Here's also here and reads the board often, just doesn't post much: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10348
Cool. Never met him before but seems cool and does great work.