Pan Am RR for sale

News or chat about railroad info that pertains to the entire United States, another state, or country.
penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Pan Am RR for sale

Unread post by penn central »

Thank goodness i got out to Massachusetts in 2014 and again in 2016 to railfan the Pan Am from Millers Falls Massachusetts the interchange with the New England Central and XO tower in Mechanicville NY there's a lot of speculation as to who the buyer will be it's gonna be interesting.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Pan Am RR for sale

Unread post by AARR »

I hope they change the name. IMO worst name for a railroad ever.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:I hope they change the name. IMO worst name for a railroad ever.
Well the rich owner bought the Pan Am name and if he didn't use it, that could cause the trademark protection to be lost.
Let us not forget his creation of the Springfield Terminal in order to bust the unions.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Guilford had really nothing to do with the railroads either. Ive heard Mellon named it after his hometown in Connecticut.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I've heard the whole reason from the change to Guilford to Pan Am was basically a rebranding scheme since the Guilford name had kinda taken on a negative reputation.

Needless to say I think it was just putting makeup on a pig.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

MQT1223 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:29 pm
I've heard the whole reason from the change to Guilford to Pan Am was basically a rebranding scheme since the Guilford name had kinda taken on a negative reputation.

Needless to say I think it was just putting makeup on a pig.
Lipstick on a pig. Lipstick.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting development in the last couple days. A freshly painted GP40-2W number 507 was released from the shop in Guilford Rail System paint everyone seems baffled as to what's going on. I like it myself i would go out there but with this COVID 19 stuff i don't know if that would be a good idea.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

penn central wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:47 am
Interesting development in the last couple days. A freshly painted GP40-2W number 507 was released from the shop in Guilford Rail System paint everyone seems baffled as to what's going on. I like it myself i would go out there but with this COVID 19 stuff i don't know if that would be a good idea.
I believe its similar to what Pan Am did a few years ago with their Heritage GP9's that they later sold off. To keep ownership and reporting marks they had to apply it in a certain sense. I bet no one thought they'd ever see a freshly painted Guilford unit. I wonder if it has Springfield Terminal reporting marks.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

MQT1223 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:25 pm
penn central wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:47 am
I believe its similar to what Pan Am did a few years ago with their Heritage GP9's that they later sold off. To keep ownership and reporting marks they had to apply it in a certain sense. I bet no one thought they'd ever see a freshly painted Guilford unit. I wonder if it has Springfield Terminal reporting marks.
MEC reporting mark

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I saw pictures this morning. It is also my understanding that the Guilford, MEC, ST, and B&M side of the railroad are the aspects for sale and that the Pan Am name itself is not... wonder if this has anything to do with it. I'm also under the impression that this unit is commemorating someone, as it has what looks like initials on it.

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

Pan Am has seen the writing on the wall. The rail industry is terrible at thinking ahead at times and the increasingly rate of ageing boxcars has unfortunately outpaced the anemic investment in new boxcars. Half of the current fleet of boxcars is plate F with the other half (pre 90's) set on retirement within the next ten years. Which PSR railroads are inclined to build new boxcars in a declining paper industry?
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

According to Trains Magazine, CN and CP may be interested in the Pan AM because either one would then gain access to Boston. Access to Boston would provide direct service from there into Canada and west to Chicago. Would this be enough for genuine interest from either railroad? Curious about everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

David Lang

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Boston has very few railroad served industries. CSX left the city and turned whatever customers they had over to Pan Am. You need to get past Worcester or Ayer to see any real non-commuter service in Mass.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

It was announced in the Trains News Wire that they (CSX) have sent the merger App into the STB and they say the Genesee and Wyoming will maintain and operate the Pan Am Southern portion of there trackage and connect with the NECR, P&W, and the CSOR (Connecticut Southern) I added all the mileage of all 4 G&W railroads that equals almost 1.500 miles wow this also includes all trackage rights, The new G&W operation will be called the Berkshire and Eastern.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I thought NS would object because it could hurt their gateway into Boston but it appears I was wrong :oops:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 am
I thought NS would object because it could hurt their gateway into Boston but it appears I was wrong :oops:
Actually the NS will own 50 percent of the Pan Am Southern and CSX the other 50 percent there gonna have the G&W maintain and operate it, And NS will get trackage rights on CSXs Boston LIne from the Albany NY area to Worcester Mass to connect with the line to Ayer Massachusetts from what i read everything east of Ayer Massachusetts is gonna be 100 percent CSX its gonna be a interesting operation and that NS will still operate two pair of manifest freights between Albany NY and East Deerfield Mass witch is on the old B&M's western half.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

Vermont Rail System having a fit about this - as well they should. Don't know if it will help them by objecting to the sale, but I do understand their uneasy feeling being surrounded by G&W and their multiple North/South routes that would emerge...

Man o' War

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I wish there was a handy map for all of this. I think I could visualize all of the possibilities much better with a map.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:00 pm
I wish there was a handy map for all of this. I think I could visualize all of the possibilities much better with a map.
Go to the Genesee & Wyoming website and find the maps for their New England clusters - this can give you a better idea of what things look like with regard to competition in the area.

Man o' War

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Here we go the STB approved the takeover by CSX i was wondering if the G&Ws Berkshire and Eastern will use some of Pan Am's power short term because 600 miles is alot to digest in such a short time there talking June 1st i like it myself because it shakes things up lets face it. It was stale and wore out on Pan Am and traffic became stagnate over the years and the B&M became riddled with slow orders and also the Vermont Rail System gets trackage rights into East Deerfield yard.